Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun Hotel recommendation "NON -all inclusive" (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-hotel-recommendation-non-all-inclusive-651155/)

Scottstig Oct 5th, 2006 04:40 PM

Cancun Hotel recommendation "NON -all inclusive"

We want to stay at a nice location in Cancun that is not an all- inclusive hotel. Great beach location and that the hotel isn't old and out dated. I have read many reviews but they're two years old. What's the new nice place and caters more towards adults! Thank you

pepper131 Oct 5th, 2006 05:44 PM

What about the Ritz-Carlton or JW Marriot?

mimipam Oct 5th, 2006 07:10 PM

We have a trip planned right after Christmas and will stay at the Fiesta Americana Coral Beach. If you can wait I will try to post after I return. You might repost after the first of the year "to remind me". This hotel is supposed to have a nice beach and a good location. We have never stayed in Cancun before--always go further south to Maroma. Love Maroma!

Little_Man Oct 6th, 2006 03:53 PM

The Ritz Carlton has just reopened after being closed for a year because of hurricane Wilma. Should be in perfect shape.
There is a lot of construction around the JW...I'd avoid it for another year.
The Casa Magna Marriott has also been redone and has a beautiful lobby. The Hilton is also nice, and the Gran Melia Royal tower is good.

blondlady Oct 6th, 2006 04:23 PM

Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach is very beautiful. The rooms are like the Venitian in Las Vegas, very upscale. Before the Hurricane the beach was exotic, georgeous white sand. The pool area there is simply fabulous. RIU next door looked very nice also.

traveling101 Nov 10th, 2006 10:54 AM

Does anyone know if the construction is done at Le Meridien and what the current condition of the hotel?

Curt Nov 10th, 2006 11:40 AM

Stayed at Le Meridien just three weeks ago and it is in perfect condition. A truly first class hotel, wonderful rooms, outstanding staff, expensive but very good food, great pools, excellent beach. The rooms are great. One hint, request a room on the north side of the hotel as the south side, while it overlooks the pools, also lets you observe the construction of the hotel next door. Not a real eyesore, but it is a construction site.

The gym at the hotel is without doubt one of the best hotel gyms I have ever used, with the latest state of the art equipment.

Do not let the construction next door scare you away, it is not intruding at all. Just on the other side of the construction is the JW Marriott, and just two resorts the other way is the Ritz.

I would rate the Le Meridien as one of the best non-AI hotels we have stayed at in our recent travels.

Little_Man Nov 10th, 2006 03:22 PM

I've never stayed at LeMeridien but it looks very lovely on the walks I've taken by it.

Amparo Nov 12th, 2006 05:48 AM

Frankie, you wrote that construction is ongoing at JW. Is it interfering with Cancun Palace which is scheduled to reopen this Dec. We are planning to go early this coming year. Would appreciate any info.

Little_Man Nov 12th, 2006 12:59 PM

I think most of the construction at the JW itself is probably just about finishing up.
What would prevent me from staying there right now is the MAJOR construction taking place at Cancun Palace, which makes it noisy at the JW and is a real eyesore.
This summer, there was a lot of work going on at the Cancun Palace, but it was still basically just a shell.
I'd be surpised if the Palace will be ready to reopen this winter...December would be a shock!
go to tripadvisor, and see if you can find more info, and good luck.

dawnmre Nov 16th, 2006 01:22 AM

We are considering a trip to the JW Marriott Cancun in March so have been checking on the construction of the Cancun Palace as well. They are taking reservations for February but not before, at least at the site I was looking at. We are still hesitant. Has anyone been to the JW Marriott recently and can tell us the status of the construction?

pmd2524 Nov 17th, 2006 05:06 AM

Just returned from Cancun. We stayed at the Moon Palace. Resort was beautiful, food was good, but we were not impressed with the rooms, as we were last year when we stayed at Dreams in Cancun. Each room at Moon Palace was taken up with a jacuzzi tub directly in the room - great for couples, but not the best for families. Rooms were small & bathrooms not impressive at all. We do not spend much time in our rooms, but were unimpressed due to what our accommodations were last year.

mimipam Jan 2nd, 2007 10:06 AM

Just returned from Cancun staying at the Fiesta Amer Grand Coral Beach. It was very nice. I would return in a moment. The beach is the best. Rooms were great--they all (or at least most from what I could tell) have a great view--just don't be too close to ground level. Breakfast was delicious and the other restaurants were good as well. In fact, we were sorry we did not eat all our meals there. The upscale dining (La Basila--I think it is) was elegant and great. We had extended family with us ranging in age from 6 to 84 and it was good for all. It was expensive but that is ok with us as long as when you pay up it is worth it. We also thought the staff and service were good.
Hope this helps and hope you have a great trip.