Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun Hotel Decision (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-hotel-decision-407439/)

janinelouie Mar 6th, 2004 06:12 AM

Cancun Hotel Decision

I'm booked for Cancun the week of December 26th for a week. I am still undecided on where to stay but have narrowed it to the JW Marriott, the Ritz Carlton, or the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral beach. I am attending with my husband and 6 year old son who is autistic. He loves the beach and pool. We just came back from Puerto Rico and he spent most of his time at the beach which I've never seen. But he loved it. I worry that the surf will be rough at some of these places and he will not be able to go in the water at all. I don't mind some activity in the water but he tends to want to be in continuosly so how rough might it be. I've heard the FAGCB has a very calm calm shore and that might be better for us but I don't want to make the mistake of staying there and then the surf is not rought at the other places and I could have stayed at one of them. I know it's confusing. How are the pool areas at these other hotels. And what if any kinds of things for children are there.

Dee3 Mar 6th, 2004 12:17 PM

All three hotels are amongst the best in Cancun. All three have wonderful pool areas, with the JW and the FAGCB better than the Ritz Carlton. The FAGCB is on the northern end of Cancun, facing the Gulf of Mexico whereas the JW and the Ritz are on the Caribbean. Therefore, the FAGCB's water is very calm, but the beach itself is very unimpressive, small. The Ritz and the JW are on a magnificient stretch of white sandy beach. The Caribbean side has more waves with the force increasing in intensity as the day wears on and as the summer approaches the fall. I've only been in Cancun during the summer months so I cannot comment on the water/waves in December. Of the 3, I think the FAGCB would be the most family orientated. The Ritz and the JW are a bit stuffy; my son was reprimanded by the security at JW for going inside (to use the bathroom) without wearing shoes!

janinelouie Mar 6th, 2004 01:54 PM

Thank you for this information. I think I am leaning towards the FAGCB. How difficult is it to go to different beachs. If I'm feeling that the beach is small or unimpressive as you say, can I go to different beaches to see how they are? I know that any beach can be used by anyone but how easy is it to get to them?
Janine/Long Island

Dee3 Mar 6th, 2004 05:31 PM

In Cancun there are public beaches, no facilities, that the locals go to. The other beaches as you say can be used by all (people walking along the shoreline) but the facilities (bathrooms, restaurants, etc) are for the use of the people who stay at those hotels. Often there are security asking to see wrist badges (ie. all inclusives) or room keys to venture about the property. With a 6 year old child, I think you'll be staying pretty much at the beach of your hotel. Next door to the FAGCB is the new Riu that looks like it has a nicer beach. Getting around Cancun is extremely easy as you take the public pay bus. The cost is 6 pesos, or about $0.60 US, one way and you can go pretty much wherever you want.
Seeing that you're leaning to the FAGCB, to be honest, in my opinion, I much prefer the Caribbean side of Cancun, particularily the mid and southern end, as the Gulf side and the northern end of the 7 shaped Cancun have much more congestion, more clubs, flea markets, and more people and traffic in general. Why don't you look into the Hilton? Definitely very nice, great pool area, quieter area of Cancun with a good beach. Not stuffy or "rich" like the JW and the Marriott. Just don't know about the water/waves situation in December.
Dee3/NJ

janinelouie Mar 7th, 2004 07:30 AM

Okay thank you. Let me do a little more homework. I appreciate all the feedback.
Janine/Long Island

MFNYC Mar 8th, 2004 07:13 AM

Not to make your life more difficult, but there are tons of very nice, family friendly resort (lots of activities and supervison for kids) in Playa Del Carmen area with great beaches (about a 30 minute drive south, from the cancun airport).

janinelouie Mar 8th, 2004 08:16 AM

So if I was staying in Cancun, should I do this as a side trip or are you suggesting I stay there instead?

jimandbe Mar 8th, 2004 09:14 AM

hi you should check out the Fiesta Americana Condesa stayed there 2X great beach/pool!!get an ocean front room since its a little cheaper then the ritz/Grand Coral you wont be sorry!

MFNYC Mar 8th, 2004 09:23 AM

Stay there. If you do stay in Cancun and decide to take a trip to Tulum, Xel-Ha or Xcaret, PDC is on the way.

katolb90 Mar 8th, 2004 12:13 PM

Don't consider for one minute staying with a 6 year old on the long, rough waves side (I guess thats the gulf side) where the JW and Ritz are. Either stay on the side where the FAGCB is or in Mayan Riviera (Playa Del Carmen).

janinelouie Mar 8th, 2004 12:51 PM

Yes I'm thinking the same thing. I've been obsessing about this all day. Reading as much as I can. I think the FAGCB is what I've decided. If there happens to be a nice calm day and I want to see the carribean sea from the other side can't I just go to one of the other FA hotels and use their beach

gingele Mar 9th, 2004 02:14 PM

Dear janinelouie -

I recently booked my family's trip to Cancun for thanksgiving week. We will be traveling with our 6 and 5 year old sons - the 5 year old is autistic and similarly loves the beach, pool, bathtub, sink - you name it - if it's water, he loves it.

We chose the Ambiance Villas property in Cancun for it's amazing, calm beach (with nearly zero-depth sand bottom for yards and yards), in addition to a kid-freindly pool - in fact, the whole place is family freindly, with large multi-bedroom units with full kitchens (our little guy is also GF/CF, so this was important to us). Have a look:

http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...s/entrance.htm

Enjoy your trip wherever you wind up!

All the best,
Amy

janinelouie Mar 10th, 2004 04:00 AM

Amy
I definetly will look at this. Thank you so much. Did your child enjoy it? And how did he stay gfcf in cancun. I had a hard time keeping mine gfcf in Florida a few years back.
Thank you
Janine

gingele Mar 10th, 2004 01:44 PM

Hi janine -

sorry for the confusion - we have not yet travelled to Cancun or Ambiance Villas. Our trip is for this coming Thanksgiving week (2004).

I have heard from travelers who have recently stayed there, though, and they have reported very nice things abut the place, esp. for families w/kids.

As for the gf/cf - that is the primary reason that one of my requirements was a room with at least a kitchenette. (All-Inclusive resorts were out, obviously). Ambiance actually has rooms with full kitchens, dining area, living room - the works. We love the idea of separate bedrooms! We will be bringing a soft-sided cooler down filled with gf/cf waffles, bread, bagels, frozen french fries, etc. (Then the cooler is very handy for the beach - fill it with bottled water, sodas, juice, beer, etc. and you won't have to pay thru the nose at the hotel bar). Once in Cancun we will visit the Wal-Mart, which I have heard has a decent grocery store, and stock up there as well. When eating out (dinners) we will stick to grilled fish and chicken, veggies and fruit. Corn flour is OK - so in Mexico that should give us some options. And in a pinch, "papas fritas" will do the trick for my little guy.

Feel free to email me directly if you'd like: [email protected]

Happy travels!

Amy

katolb90 Mar 12th, 2004 11:14 AM

Yes, janinelouie, its very convenient to hop on the bus (comes every minute or 2) and visit one of the other Fiesta Americana beaches. However, from my knowledge (I've been 3 times now) there are always waves on the other side. If you do allow him in the water, you would have to be right next to him.

GeordieFoley Mar 15th, 2004 06:45 AM

Also check out the Westin

It is at the very end of the hotel zone, has beaches both on the ocean and lagoon, great rooms, great service