Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-help-386635/)

dilbert Jan 12th, 2004 05:48 PM

Cancun Help

My wife and I went to Cancun and were impressed by the restaurants that serve local food. We were not impressed at all by the AI food. I need your advice for...

a place to stay on the beach with a pool that does not include food

clean and comfortable

as cheap as possible

walk to nightlife...so that we don't have to rent a car

Thank you in advance

JeanH Jan 13th, 2004 03:55 AM

Are you set on Cancun? I don't know how many economical hotels you will find right on the beach.

Head south 45 miles and consider Playa Del Carmen. Lots of options for inexpensive lovely hotels, right on the beach. Much cheaper. Many local restaurants. I'm sure the night life isn't as lively, but there are many bars and some live music.

Helena Jan 13th, 2004 05:53 PM

I suggest Camino Real. It's at the tip of the Hotel Zone, has a wonderful beach on the Isla Mujeres side where the water is calm. It's not an AI, however, I understand they now offer this as an option. You can walk to many of the clubs/malls. I've stayed there countless times over the years and wouldn't stay anywhere else in the Hotel Zone. It's one of the oldest on the island, the bathrooms could use updating, but I've never had any complaints. The grounds, location, and the staff are the best in Cancun and the rooms are comfortable and clean (housekeeping service twice daily). I wouldn't consider it cheap, but it's less expensive than many of the glitzy hotels. If you enjoy good Mexican food, I suggest taking a trip downtown. La Parrilla and La Placita (both on Avenida Yaxchilan) have excellent food at reasonable prices. Sasha's Bistro on Avenida Nader has the best non-Mexican food I've ever had while in Cancun.

TnT_Lucy Jan 14th, 2004 06:42 AM

I recentely traveled to Cancun in Nov. 2003, and had an excellent experience at the Oasis Cancun, in the Hotel Zone. Great service, comfortable rooms, and gorgeous pool! It is AI, but a fairly good price, (depending on when you travel and if you can book last minute). Almost anywhere in the Hotel Zone is walking distance to good restaurants and nightlife... and if it's too far, the city buses are so cheap to take (6 pesos, approx. $0.60!).

As JeanH suggested, Playa Del Carmen is also very beautiful, and possibly a bit cheaper, depending on type of accommodations. There are nice bars, and most of the resorts have a disco on-site... but for amazing nightlife, you can't beat Cancun!

butsey Jan 14th, 2004 08:22 AM

I too stayed at the Camino Real is kinda old but nice property is in a great location and their food is good.
Good Luck

dmotl Jan 15th, 2004 05:14 PM

WOW--Isla Mujeres is the place for you
Only 10 miles from Cancun
Very economical and local food to die for
Visit isla-mujeres.net
Hotels--click on places to stay on left tool bar--hotels in Centro area
Try Posada Del Mar. Playa Media Luna, NaBalam or Secreto. Lowest price listed first.

Richard1507 Jan 16th, 2004 05:28 AM

You should check out the condo rentals (just type cancun condo rentals). There are lots of condos available, depending on your budget.

Good Luck, Richard

Ally Jan 16th, 2004 09:18 AM

I agree with dmotl. Isla Mujeres is perfect for you!