Reload this Page >

Fiesta Americana hotel in Cozumel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 11:43 AM
Lawrence Newhouser

Has anyone stayed here? How was the on site dive shop? Food and rooms? what about the location? Would you go again

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 06:52 AM
Lawrence Newhouser

Would love some help with this. Hasn't anyone even heard of the place?

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 10:35 AM
kelly

Hi Lawrence, <BR> <BR>We stayed at this hotel in Jan 1999 and thought it was great! Diving was fantastic, dove with on-site Dive House. These guys were wonderful, very knowledgeable and helpful. The location is good for diving, as it is closet to the dive sites, but one of the furthest from town. We took a cheap taxi ride into town every night as the food is only so-so at the hotel (but good buffet breakfast if you want that much before diving...), but we find that is typical of most places. Beware this hotel is not really on the beach as I have seen it claim, but really across this little highway. Its not a big deal as the beach is not much to speak of. You can however do some decent snorkling(or diving) from shore. The pool area is pretty nice, with a swim up bar. We will definately stay here again next time we go to Cozumel!

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Lawrence Newhouser

Kelly. thanks for the info. the local dive shop is planning a trip here in mid May. I am concerned that is a very hot time of year. What was the weather like in Jan? Did you need a wetsuit? Also my wife does not dive. Is area safe for her to hang around while I am out on a boat for hours? Can you suggest any places to eat? your help is great!

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Kelly

Mid May, yes I think it will be quite hot! When we went in Jan we dove with a 3ml shortie, and it was fine. When we went to Cayman in Aug, we didn't even need a suit. If I recall, the water temp was between 78-80 in Jan. Air temp was hot, even in Jan, but cooled off at night a bit. We took a day trip to Chizen Itza (highly recommend) and it was pretty miserable walking around in the heat. <BR> <BR>What area do you mean for your wife to walk around? If you are referring to the town itself, yes, its very safe, especially during the day. There will usually be 3-6 cruise ships in town with everyone out shopping. The hotel area is not really within walking distance to anything, so if she will be hanging out at the pool she will be fine as well. <BR> <BR>As far as restaurants, there is this one Italian place (when you get sick of Mexican) that is wonderful, but I can't find the name right now. It is a block or 2 off the main square, located upstairs. It is really popular, someone should know the name but I will try and find it for you. All the Mexican food we had was good, nothing really stood out though. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions I can try and help with! <BR> <BR>Kelly

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Larry

Yes, I've stayed at the Fiesta Americana serveral times. It's probably the the 3rd or 4th best place on the Island. The only food their I recommend is breakfast buffet, but it is expensive. The best place to eat in town by far is Pepe's grill! ask for Miguel and him Larry sent you, He'll treat you like a king. <BR> <BR>I go to Cozumel 3 or 4 times a year. May is by far the best month. It is not hot. The hot, humid weather does'nt hit until rainy season, Late June to July. Even then its not as bad as Florida. <BR> <BR>Have Fun!

Old May 1st, 2000, 06:12 AM
jane

Hi <BR>We just returned from Cozumel and stayed at the Fiesta Americana. We were pleased and would probably stay there again. Get the all inclusive package as the food and drinks are expensive otherwise. We thought the food was good (breakfast buffet excellent) and drinks fairly strong. There aren't really any restaurants within walking distance so we were glad we got the al inclusive. <BR>I found the name of that Italian restaurant --Prima Pasta. We didn't eat there but heard it was good. We liked Pancho's Backyard -- great atmosphere, good food, good service. <BR>Take at least one day-trip to Playa Del Carmen (30 min. ferry ride). It's a great little town lot's of nice shops and restaurants and the prices are better than in Cozumel. Try Mascaras (on the plaza) they feature gourmet pizza cooked in brick oven and excellent fresh seafood at reasonable prices. <BR>If your wife would like to try snorkeling it is very good right off the beach at the hotel. It's even better just a mile up the road at Playa Corona. They have free snorkeling gear on the beach at the hotel but you have to get it early. We rented fins at the dive shop for only $3.00 each per day. <BR>Hope this helps !

Old May 3rd, 2000, 01:22 PM
Lawrence Newhouser

Thanks for all the help. How hot is it now in Cozumel? What about the humidity? <BR>Can you offer ideas on clothes to keep cool? Did you take traveler's checks? I am concerned about carrying cash but hear there is a fee for using the checks.

Old May 6th, 2000, 07:13 PM
jane

Hi <BR>The weather at the end of April was warm but not too humid yet. Take plenty or sunscreen though and drink lots of bottled water. <BR>We took travlers checks and using them was no big deal. The exchange rate varies from place to place. The worst was at the airport 9.00 and the best I saw was about 9.50. The hotel had a decent rate when we were there 9.39. I certainly wouldn't risk taking all my money in cash. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old May 9th, 2000, 09:28 PM
paciano diaz

We had booked it for three nights, only stayed one. The the hotel grounds were nice especially the beach across the street. Please be advised that the Hotel is across the street from the beach. Being said, we found the hotel to be quite noisy because cars, trucks go through that street at all hours of the day/night. In addition, this like most of the resort hotels are not within walking distance of El Centro and you must take a taxi into town. If you want to relax by the pool all day, this might not be an issue for you. Otherwise,it will cost you at least $10.00USD to and from($5USD each way) El Centro each time. Lastly, we decided not to go into town for diner and we ate at the hotel. It was not bussy by any means (should be a sign). We figured we would get great service. After we were seated, it took the waiter at least 5 minutes to so much as to come take our drink order!A friend who is a waiter has told me that a customer should never wait more than 3 mins to get a drink, much less 5. Anyway, food was nothing special and we checked out the next day. Just my opionion.