Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun and Playa help needed again / Your thoughts on some possible resorts /hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-and-playa-help-needed-again-your-thoughts-on-some-possible-resorts-hotels-391567/)

Lordy Jul 9th, 2008 12:03 AM

Cancun and Playa help needed again / Your thoughts on some possible resorts /hotels

Hi again,
I am still searching for a place to stay for our visit in January. We are thinking of having 3 nights in Cancun and 3 nights in Playa.
A lot of the resorts/hotels have a 4/5 night minimum or are all inclusive.
Thanks to the people who have already given me some suggestions. I am still chasing up some possibilities.
We would like a modern,very clean hotel with a view if possible.

What are your thoughts on the following places in Cancun:
Hyatt Cancun Caribe
NH Krystal Cancun
ME by Melia
Gran Melia
Marriott Casa Magma

As we have not been to Mexico before we are relying on trip advisor and fodors for suggestions.
Thanks again
Donna
Australia

Lordy Jul 9th, 2008 06:14 PM

Any ideas????
Donna

tom42 Jul 10th, 2008 08:48 AM

I just returned from 4 nights at the Ritz Carlton and 4 nights at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach. If you would like any information about those hotels, please let me know. I think all of the hotels you have listed will be modern, clean and with a view. For the most part, hotels seem to have all rooms at least partially facing water. I would note that ME by Melia does not appear to have any balconies - rather the rooms have floor to ceiling windows.

Little_Man Jul 10th, 2008 05:30 PM

Out of your list, I'd choose the Casa Magna. The Marriotts in Cancun are consistently highly rated. I've stayed at the JW, and really enjoyed it.
I've also stayed at the Gran Melia, in the Royal Service tower and enjoyed it.
I have toured the rooms and property at the Hyatt Cancun Caribe, and while it is fine, I think the other 2 are nicer. (Rooms did not seem very sound proof, views not quite as nice, the whole property a little more cramped.)

The new Fiesta Americana Aqua looks very modern and beautiful, if it is in your price range.

Lordy Jul 10th, 2008 11:07 PM

Thanks Tom42 and frankie for your help.
Tom42, did you prefer one of the hotels to the other?
Which was in the best position?
( Easy to get to restaurants, shops and the beach )
I have looked at many hotels and then have checked with trip advisor and have become more and more confused.
What room type did you have?
Thanks for your first hand advice.

frankie - Does the Gran Melia have a balcony?
The Casa Magma does look nice too.

Is the lagoon or ocean view nicer?
What are your suggestions for shopping and restaurants?

At least you have helped me to narrow down the list. Look forward to more of your help.
Thanks again
Donna

Little_Man Jul 11th, 2008 08:02 AM

Hi Donna,
The Gran Melia does have balconies. One of my few complaints about the Melia, though, was that if you sat on the balcony, the walls of it were solid and were too high, and you had no view! A little thing, but still. I thought while staying there that a lagoon view would be fine because of this. I do recommend the Royal tower, though, because of its private pool with wonderful palapas.
Another small complaint about the Melia was the musty and humid smell in the pyramids.

Lordy Jul 12th, 2008 04:56 AM

Thanks again Frankie.
I will let you know what we settle on. Probably the Marriott CasaMagna.
Tom, we are still waiting for a price on the Fiesta.
Thanks
Donna