Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Original plan for Costa Rica was to stay in Drake Bay with a research team which now is unavailable. Now What?

Search

Original plan for Costa Rica was to stay in Drake Bay with a research team which now is unavailable. Now What?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 2 years ago when I started researching a first trip to Costa Rica for 2 adults and one 13 year old boy, we planned on staying in Drake Bay at a research camp. That option is no longer available as the camp does not provide that option. We liked it because we would actually stay with the dolphin research team, eat with them, see dolphins/whales and visit the rainforest.

Our plan was to stay about 5 days and then move on to the volcano region.

We have a very active 13 year old nephew who loves nature, would love to hike the rainforest, see dolphins, zip line and talk to naturalists. Swimming is not really his thing.

I have always planned our trips rather than use a tour as we like flexibility. Is this original idea of ours still feasible?

Thanks for any input.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Hi, sylviam - I'm not sure of your budget, but have you checked out Bosque del Cabo? It's a great place on the Osa Peninsula - you stay in cabins on a cliff that overlooks the ocean and can hike a wide variety of trails. You'll see monkeys, toucans, scarlet macaws, etc. We also saw coatis and an anteater. They have a naturalist on site, and you can hire a boat to take you out into the gulf to see dolphins. It might be what you're looking for.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I agree on BDC, you just can't beat the amount of wildlife and surroundings that they provide.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

volcanogirl: Thanks, I will check into it. It appears from my reading on this site that most things can be arranged through your hotel. Is it better to arrange things from the states before arrival or to make arrangements through the hotel?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM

We booked our hotels before our trip and had the hotels arrange drivers for us. Everything else, such as tours and activities, we just booked through the hotels once we got there. I just wrote a trip report on Bosque del Cabo if you're interested in reading more details about it. It's wonderful there; we loved it.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM

I've been to Casa Corcovado a couple times and enjoyed it. It's near Drake Bay and the activities there may interest you.

http://www.casacorcovado.com/
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl & Brian: will the time of year make a difference. We are thinking of April 2008 which I believe is high season.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 04:29 PM

Do you mean regarding the weather or crowds? Both times I was there was toward the end of March, and the weather was good. April should be fine with maybe a little more rain at night. Easter falls at the end of March in 2008, so it will probably be quite busy there (and in most of Costa Rica) at that time. By April, things should start to quiet down.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM

I think April would be a great time to go. The only times I would probably avoid would be late September and into October because that's the heaviest part of the rainy season.

Also, November and December are quite busy, as is Easter, because a lot of people travel there during the holidays.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Brian: I meant for crowds and reservations. Generally I make reservations for accommodations in October for an April trip. Our plan was 5 days in/around Drake Bay and 4 days in/around Ariel. We would like a full day in San Jose also.

Is this feasible?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Yep, I think that's perfectly feasible. We loved the Arenal area too and spent 4 or 5 days there last year. Hopefully you'll get to see the volcano flow - we saw it every night, and it was amazing.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:28 AM

A cheaper alternative is Jinetes de Osa which is near Drakes Bay. You can do all the activities and tours from there.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM

As I said in my earlier post, since Easter falls before April next year, the crowds shouldn't be too bad.

This past year I made my reservations in October for March.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I am awaiting my travel books which I ordered on Amazon. I am sure after reading I will have many more questions.

I was thinking that we would see some turtles but just read somewhere that they are on the Caribbean side and I don't know that we would have time for that. May have to settle for Dolphins though my nephew would love both.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Tortuguero appears to be the best place for turtle watching - you're right it's on the Caribbean side. It's still on our to do list.