Search

cancun airport taxi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Laurie

cancun airport taxi

We'll need transportation from the Cancun airport to Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach. What is the best way to do this? Taxi? Approximately how much is the taxi? Is it clear where to get these taxis? Or should be do an airport transfer from the hotel if available? Thank you so much for any help you may have!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Mark

If you booked the trip yourself, you'll probably need a taxi. If through an agent, she should provide transportation arrangements. My guess for a one-way taxi trip would be $15. There is only one taxi company. Don't worry about finding taxis or anything else. The one bad thing about Cancun is, three steps away from baggage claim you will have about 50 people in your face offering you anything from a taxi ride to partial ownership in your own Mayan ruin. Have fun.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Susan

There is an airport shuttle that goes through the hotel zone. I don't know the cost - we've taken it to Puerto Juarez and the bus terminal in town, and it may vary depending on where you're going. Taxis are generally more expensive. You'll find though that a taxi back to the airport will be cheaper than a taxi from the airport.

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Laurie

Thanks for your replies. Guess we'll try to take find the airport shuttle. Will there be a desk at the airport to pay and all?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Keith

The best taxi is the Thomas Moore travel company. They are outside the airport. You have to go through many people to get to them. They will usually sell you a Corona for the ride to the hotel. We were there in January and are going back next week. Enjoy.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Laurie

Hey thanks Kieth for the specific advice. How will I know the company - by sign on the vans for a desk area?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Nobody

The taxi drivers will also usually try to sell you an ounce of weed for the ride to the hotel.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Keith

Laurie, They have signs that identify the travel company. We took a large van and had a very good trip. Enjoy! Keith

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Laurie

Laurie,<BR>Ignore "Nobody's" post.<BR>Been to Cancun airport/taxis 40 or 50 times and NO ONE in Mexico has ever offered us "weed."<BR>(Does school start back soon?)<BR>The trip from the airport to the hotel zone is an easy one.<BR>If you have a lot of luggage, get one of the porters to help you, and they will take you right past all the yelling directly to a waiting cab.<BR>Do request a van as Keith said as you have more room.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Nobody

I've been to Cancun twice, and both times I've been offered "weed". Both times were by taxi drivers, also. I'm not sure what the previous poster was talking about, but "weed" is a very important cash crop to the Mexicans, ans the cabbies are the biggest dope dealers, in Cancun, at least. This is not just from my experiences, but from others I've talked to down ther also.<BR><BR>Of course, it may have something to do with the fact that I was 15 the first time I was there and 19 the second time.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Singer

Take a shuttle (van) from the airport to the Hotel Zone. A kiosk is set up outside the terminal and the cost is approximately $9.00 PP each way. Carry your bags yourself , since it is a short walk to the kiosk. Good luck !! Peace !

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 06:32 AM
smoky mcpot

My 32 year old husband was offered "weed" repeatedly, so yeah, it DOES happen.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Kelly

Maybe if someone has been there many times and has not ever been approached; while others who have only been once or twice and were asked if they want marijuana - the people who have been asked need to wonder if they look like dopeheads!<BR>The penalties are severe in Mexico for drug sales and use. My guess is the seller thought he had a potential buyer.<BR>Just a thought. By the way most cab drivers are very hard working family men. Its ridiculous to say they are the main drug pushers. I have traveled all over Mexico and its people like Nobody who gets untrue rumors started.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Nobody

It's not ridiculous, it's true. I've talked to dozens of other people my age that have been there and they'll all tell you the same thing. Of course, like I said, I'm sure they'd be asking a couple teenage guys who are out partying all night to buy a hell of a lot sooner than they'd be asking a middle-age? woman who's out sight-seeing. Just a thought. I'm not spreading untrue rumors, I'm just telling it like it is, as smoky (heh) has confirmed. I don't know what it's like in the rest of Mexico, but that's my experiences with Cancun. I'll be leaving for Baja in a few weeks, so I'll let you know how many times I'm offered "weed" by the cabbies down there. Of course we'll have our own car, so I may never get the chance to see.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Ted

My goodness, Laurie asked a simple question and has to put up with all this crap. Thank you for the ones who were helpful. As for the marijuana issue-its illegal-the authorites have to sympathy if you are caught-and remember, if you are caught, you ae not in the good ole USA. However, a hefty bribe will prpbably set you free. Marijuana is everywhere-All over Mexico and here. But you know, its not just the marijuana-cocaine is also a big problem there. Also very illegal. What part of NO don't YOU understand. No is all you need to say.