Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Cancun Acapulco or Puerto Vallarta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/cancun-acapulco-or-puerto-vallarta-179084/)

Mo Aug 22nd, 2001 05:53 AM

Cancun Acapulco or Puerto Vallarta?

We will be visiting Mexico in November for the first time and are undecided as to which of these resorts to choose. All advice very welcome.

Janda Aug 23rd, 2001 02:17 PM

I love Puerto Vallarta. I would recommend it to young and old alike. It is a very easy place to be. Very casual. The Mexican people are so gracious. There are wonderful beaches and a great downtown area with alot of shops. We stayed at Playa Los Arcos. The one on the beach. It was so nice. We will go back for sure. <BR>I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Helen Aug 28th, 2001 09:50 AM

I would suggest Cancun because of the nice soft powdery white beaches and calm waters on the beach across from Isla Mujeres. I've been to Acapulco but not Puerto Vallarta but both are on the Pacific side,,,,not the gulf or Caribbean. When I went to Acapulco in May 1998, the ocean currents were very rough,,,,black flags all over. But Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta are in good locations as far as seeing other areas. Each resort is different and it all depends on what you want. Cancun is basically flat with beaches. Acapulco has beaches in front and mountains in the back. Quite beautiful. Best of luck in choosing a place.

Melisa Aug 29th, 2001 10:58 AM

Cancun for sure!!!! Even though it is very americanized and touristy the beaches are much nicer then on the Pacific Side. I used to live in Cancun for 6 months. If you don't want to be right in Cancun I would suggest Playa Del Carmen only an hour from Cancun which is only a bus ride away. There are several resorts along the Riviera Maya that would satifsfy all your needs. I would suggest Barcelo Maya Resort or Iberostar Parisio. They are both along the highway but have transportation into Playa Del Carmen. If you want a nice resort in the hotel zone in Playa del Carmen, try the Rui Yucatan or The Gala Resort. Always heard good things about these hotels. Good Luck

Jesse Aug 29th, 2001 08:47 PM

PV all the way. I have been to both and Cancun is OK but not as great as PV. Cancun is a flat desert area, that really does not have that much to offer other that the ruins and the beach and of course nitelife. PV offers you so much more, it has all that Cancun has and then more, except for the ruins. The nitelife is great, the food is great and the city is wonderfull. The Sierra madre mountains are awesome. I would highly recomend taking the jungle tour on one of those Mercedes Hummer like vechiles. ITs about 50 bucks pp and it includes the tour of the mountains as well as the jungle a few small towns,waterfalls, villages, as well as a short hike. It includes all meals(brkfst,lnch,dinner) and all booze you can handel(or water,soda) It finishes the day at a private beach. I cant say enough good things about PV.

qq Sep 5th, 2001 05:23 PM

i guess it depends on what you are looking for. i chose pv over cancun because "culture" was more important to me than beaches. i haven't been to cancun, but know a lot of people who have and it seems like a spring break atmosphere to me. i would hightly recommend pv!! again, it really depends on what you are seeking. <BR> <BR>

Carey Sep 5th, 2001 07:23 PM

Hi. I would choose PV, too. We've been to both Cancun and PV. I have to say I did like the ocean and the white sand beaches in Cancun, but besides that and the ruins, there wasn't much to do besides the touristy American-type stuff! I loved PV because it is more the authentic Mexico. I think if I am going to go to another country, I like to see experience some of the culture. I found, generally, the people of PV are so warm and proud of there culture. Maybe this was just our experience. Many of our friends and family agree on this point,too. Both,however, are beautiful places, but I guess I love the more traditional Mexico and that is why I love PV!

Susie Sep 5th, 2001 11:21 PM

Never been to Acapulco but have been twice to Puerto Vallarta and was in Cancun last April. Your preference will depend on your priorities. We actually only saw the Cancun airport as we stayed about an hour south of there though. As far as beaches go I prefer the Caribbean to the Pacific ocean any day. Cancun area has Chichen Itza and Tulum if you are wanting historical sites, as well as nightlife and lots of interesting side trips. I agree with a poster above who said Puerto Vallarta is more "authentic" because it is a smaller, and I think friendlier place. I wonder if they still tour people to the site where Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton filmed "Night of the Iguana?"

mexicodan Sep 6th, 2001 07:12 AM

PV for ME!!!!!!!!!! <BR> <BR>Been through there about 20+ times. The city is the most tourist friendly you'll will find anywhere in Mexico. Stay on the southend of downtown: <BR> <BR>Hotel Tropicana, Los Archos on Play Los Muertos! Check out Jr's site at: www.vallarta-info.com for the latest on PV! <BR> <BR>adios! <BR>mexicodan <BR>www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Lisa Sep 7th, 2001 07:50 PM

Cancun built with a master plan in mind. It was not and is not a quaint fishing village like Acapulco or Puerto vallarta. Cancun does have the incredible blue water to dive or snorkel in. It does not have charm, nor is it quaint. It is loud, and does have a cheap spring break type atmosphere. if you will spend most of your time in the water for water sports, snorkeling and such head to cancun. Acapulco is know through out the world for its sophisticated and entergetic nightlife, it is lovely and has many non touristy things to do- the lagoon, pie de la Cuesta to watch quiet sun sets, world famous cliff divers and such. PV quaint, a bit more laid back, very nice, with a authentic feel. Been all places, lived in Acapulco. have fun

Judy Sep 25th, 2001 07:11 PM

I need information, I was told that all i needed to get into Mexico was a birth <BR>certificate and a valid driving license.But I was also told that I would have a hard time getting back to the usa if I did not have a passport.If anyone know the answer please let me know. thanks

michelle Sep 27th, 2001 06:39 AM

First of all, PV is amazing. It's resort-y enough that you won't feel overwhelmed if you've never been to Mexico, but it gives you much more of a feel for the culture and the country than Cancun. There's no point in going to Cancun - might as well save yourself the international hassle and go to Daytona Beach - they're exactly the same thing. <BR> <BR>And about the previous posting about documents, you're correct about what you need to get into Mexico - I've been half a dozen times and never brought my passport, and have never had a hard time getting back into the states. One quirk: people under 18 must have a notarized letter signed by BOTH parents, giving permission and travel dates in order to enter Mexico.

Roberto Sep 30th, 2001 08:09 AM

Forget all those overhyped tourist traps, unless you ENJOY spending more money for the same thing you can find in St. Petersburg or Miami Beach in Florida. <BR> <BR>If you want RELAXATION among WARM & FRIENDLY people in an UNCROWDED RESORT that offers THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS then you will find all that and more in the twin resort destinations of Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa in the state of Guerrero on Mexico's Pacific Coast, about 144 miles north of Acapulco. <BR> <BR>Please check us out. I think you'll be VERY glad if you do. <BR> <BR>www.zihuatanejo.net <BR> <BR>Warm saludos to all, <BR> <BR>Roberto

Andrea Oct 4th, 2001 07:01 AM

I had the same dilema. So I choose puerto v. Because it would have more authentic buildings. I went a week and wished I could have stayed longer in mexico. I also went to another town up the cost called Barra de Navadad. Nice town friendlly people, everyone loved my 7 year old daughter. I wish I could of gone over to guadlhara, travel more in mexico. I went in November too and it wasn't too crowded. Beware of the people selling time shares, they offer to pay for a tour in exchange for visiting their resort. Beautiful resorts though. I made $50.00 off one to eat breakfast and tour the resort. Have fun, I am on my way to costa rica and central america next week for 5 weeks, can hardly wait, getting everything in order to go. Getting immunizations to be safe. Check out the CDC website (center for disease control) will give you suggestions on what shots you need.

bob Oct 7th, 2001 05:37 AM

The Cancun area is a great place...especially if you are a beach person. Want culture take a short ride to Ilsa Mujeres or Akumal.

Karen Carleton Oct 7th, 2001 07:08 PM

I went to Acapulco this summer. It was very cheap and pleasant. WE stayed at Hotel Barcelo Panoramique - the cheapest one according to my Mexican friend who phoned around. It was about $35.00 per night CDN in summer I blieve, and that included a large brunch buffet. It was within walking distance of beachses, shops, bars etc. I loved it and it was cheaper than Cancun. My friend went to Cancun last Christmas and didn't leave the resort and hated the experience - too commercialized. I think it would be great to see chichenitza and otehr archeological/historic sites nearby. They say Acapulco is making a come back - it's heyday was the 1950s for movie stars and so prices are pretty decent. Things are quite nice but not overly flashy. No much English spoken tehre - surprising. Cheap nice restaurants though. Lots to do also - shopping, dolphin show, seal show, museums, beach, singing and dancing shows etc. There is a hard rock cafe there. I would highly recommend the Mexican-American, bi-lingual, humourous restaurant, "Carlos and Charlie's."

Guillermo Oct 7th, 2001 07:33 PM

I Can probably give you good advice, since I love travelling, I'm Mexican, i know very well the 3 places, <BR>I would place out Acapulco, too old, not very good beaches, very comercial. <BR>I would decide between P.V., and Cancun, and I'd probably rate first Puert Vallarta, very original, clean, excellent food, safe, not very expensive, very nice people with tourists, and an authentic, " Mexican Place". The beaches are better in Nuevo Vallarta, although it is 10 KMs, from town..