Can you recommend hotel in Isla Mujeres?

Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
Lina

Can you recommend hotel in Isla Mujeres?

Can you suggest one or two comfortable but moderately priced hotels in Isla Mujeres? I am looking for an air-conditioned place on or near a sandy swimming beach, a short walk from town and restaurants, and fairly quiet.

Much appreciated!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:39 PM
Ruth

We've been going to Isla Mujeres for the last 15 yrs. and love it.....I would recommend the Francis Arlene which is off the main drag...quiet. But a short distance from downtown. Everything is within a short walking distance. The F.A. is also closer to Playa Norte...or North Beach. It has some air conditioned rooms and small refrigerators. The Roca Mar is also very nice and moderately priced. Most rooms on the island have ceiling fans verses air conditioning....which for me is adequate. Which month are you going? We always go mid Feb. It's not quite as hot there at night in Feb. Maybe, mid 70's. Mid 80's daytime. The Roca Mar is just off the square but further from the beach. Still a nice relaxing walk. Be aware though...if you get a sea-side room (it's on the rough side of the island) it's quite loud at night with the surf and all. It was hard to get used to that first couple nights. But beautiful. That side has great sun rises. You can get alot of info from islamujeres.net~~~~~~~it will tell prices on hotels, many of which have websites where you can make an on-line reservation. But the smaller less expensive family owned hotels don't have web sites....these are quite inexpensive if you're planning on staying for an extended length of time. And don't forget "happy hour" at the north end of the island...best place is the Nabalam. Also great food. But then again I've never been disappointed by any of the restaurants. At any rate, hope you enjoy your trip. You won't be disappointed....if you like "the real thing"

Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:48 PM
d motl

Our # 1 recommendation is also the Frances Arlene. We spend one month a year on the island and keep up a home grown brouchure that we can e-mail to you if you request. [email protected] or 1-800-482-9832. have fun dan and ginny

Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:00 PM
dmotl

tried the web site ruth recommended--no such thing. try isla-mujeres.net
dan

Feb 4th, 2001, 07:56 AM
rlk

I'm flipping thru 2001 Frommer's - Cancun, Cozumel & Yucatan. Would like to hear if anyone has stayed at these hotels and their personal experience? (FYI -- Lina, I'm also seeking a moderately priced place with your exact specifications).

Hotel Cabanas Maria del Mar -
located on Playa Norte, a half block from Hotel Nabalam.

Hotel Posada del Mar -
described as 'simply furnished, quiet & comfortable', however also says it's the best choice in Isla for families with children under age 12, staying free with paying adults.

Hotel D-Gomar -
Remodeled in 1999, hardly beat hotel for comfort at reasonable prices. Drawback is there are 5 stories & no elevator.

WELL, I'd love to hear other opinions, if you've been or even walked by these places. Thanks!

Feb 4th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Ruth

Yes,Dan is right...the website is isla-mujeres.net~~~~~sorry, forgot the hyphen. As for the other request...Cabanas Maria del Mar is a little more pricey...maybe about $90.-$100.U.S. Has more emmenities and is located on Playa Norte which is the best beach for swimming not to mention sunsets. If you want moderate I'd still stick with the 2 others I recommended. We've stayed at the Posada del Mar several times as well, and it is very nice...yes, great for kids. It has a pool and a very good restaurant. It's very near the beach but it's gotten a little more pricey in the past few years. ~~~~~~As for Gomar's... it's right down town and that's where many people party. There is a great restaurant there but it has an outdoor bar...so if you have kids and want to fall asleep early.....sometimes the partying goes on into the wee hours along with bands playing at other places down the street.

Feb 4th, 2001, 03:54 PM
d motl

Hi Lina:
know you tried to e-mail us for the brochure which we did e-mail to you but it got returned saying your sight was not in service. If you e-mail us another request we will try to forward again. dan and ginny

Feb 5th, 2001, 05:50 AM
lisa

In November we stayed on Isla Mujeres at Hotel Playa Media Luna for $55 per night including tax, with air conditioning, ocean-view balcony with hammock, a nice swimming pool with a little swim-up bar (where beers are $1!), and continental breakfast included. Spotlessly clean. Not fancy, but we liked it a lot and thought it was good value for the money. It is pretty new. While it is on the water, you can't swim from its beach due to the rocky surf -- but it is just around the corner from Playa Norte (the best beach). I highly recommend it. Skip the continental breakfast though.

Feb 7th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Tina

---
For 'Sam' --- rather than Cancun, this may be a beach spot to consider during mid-March.

Feb 7th, 2001, 05:35 PM
d motl

We also stayed at the Playa Luna Media in November. A tremendous bargain. Trouble is the rates double to $110 starting Christmas week.