Can you Recommend a Book on Mayan Culture?

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you Recommend a Book on Mayan Culture?

Hey Gang: So my recent trip got me very interested in the history of Mayans on the Yucatan in Mexico (and thoughout Latin America). I just finished "Incidents of Travel..." by Stephens but found it dull and not at all informative on the cultures who actually inhabited the ruins he explored.

Anyone read a good, fairly comprehensive, and readable book on Mayan culture?--preferably non-fiction but a fact-based fiction would be fun, too
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Pausanias

I think the standard work is Michael Coe's *The Maya*. To put the Maya in context with other pre-Columbian civilizations Coe's *Mexico* should probably be read about the same time.

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:27 PM

I'm really fond of "Route of the Mayas", a Knopf Guide. It was published more than 10 years ago but is still informative and interesting - great pictures and maps. A just bought a used one in good condition but it's still available new:

http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-Guide-Gu...F8&s=books

Happy trails!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Pausanias. My library has them and I will pick them up tonight. I am looking forward to reading them.
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Agree with the Coe book recs.

Richard E.W. Adams' "Prehistoric Mesoamerica" is a good, general non-fiction summary of Maya and other cultures of the region. (Aztecs, Mixtecs, etc.)

Another choice with a lot of detail is Muriel Porter Weaver's "The Aztecs, Maya, and Their Predecessors." It is an excellent history of the development of the Maya and other peoples from 10,000 BC through the Post-Classic period.

Looks like you will have enough to keep you busy for awhile!

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Plenty to keep me bust--thanks to all. I have "The Maya" in hand and will hopefully get into it today. I am sure I will be fascinated and end up getting the others as well--it's that college anthropology-major instinct that's been suppressed for a bit returning! Thank you all!