Can we do a trip to Costa Rica in 6 days, 5 nights?

Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Can we do a trip to Costa Rica in 6 days, 5 nights?

We need some advice to plan this trip properly and get the most out of it. We are clueless as to where we should be flying in to and the days we stay in each place to see the most beautiful sights. The active volcano is a must, zip lining, lounging on the beach.. any other suggestions? We are clueless to be honest and need some great advice as to wear to start and end!

Thanks!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM

Very hard to do the volcano and a beach with 5 nights. 6 would be MUCH better. . .can you swing it?

Fly into SJO, rent a car, drive 2.5 hours to Arenal, stay 3 nights. Lots to do here, you'll love it.

The drive to the beach is about 4 hours from Arenal. I'd choose Playa Hermosa or Playa Ocotal as they are only 30 minutes from the other international airport in Liberia, where you should fly out of--LIR.

Get yourself a guidebook, Fodor's, Moon, Lonely Planet. When are you going? 3 nights each location would be preferable.

You can also drive 5-6 hours from Arenal to Manuel Antonio area beaches. That location is 3 hours other direction from SJO. In that case, you would fly in and out of SJO. Good luck!
Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:30 AM

The most popular combo for first timers is Arenal and Manuel Antonio; it would be tight in your time frame though.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:11 AM

www.puravidahotel.com for flight nights

Tour to www.arenal.net a nice beach from there

Considering your flights and drive times

you can't do much...
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM

I agree, 6 nights would be better -- and that's assuming you don't spend the first and last nights near the airport. After having made two trips to CR now and getting to our final destination that first day, it can be pretty exhausting -- and I don't think we'll ever do it again.

I like shillmac's plan of flying into SJO but out of Liberia -- I think more people are doing this. Also, if you're willing to take internal flights on Nature Air or Sansa, that can help tremendously with a tight schedule (just be sure to confirm your flights the morning of!).
Apr 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM

If you really are constrained to just 5 nights, you could always just pick one destination; Arenal OR a beach location.

There's a lot to do around Arenal and it's a beautiful area. Manuel Antonio as mentioned by other posters would be another good choice as a single location (pretty beaches, good range of activities). In either of these places, you'd have a good range of hotels and restaurants to choose from.

There are lots of other terrific destinations in CR as well, but Arenal and MA are very manageable for first time visitors which is why they are so frequently recommended here.

Search this Thread