Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Can this be done? Mal Pais drive to San jose to catch flight home (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/can-this-be-done-mal-pais-drive-to-san-jose-to-catch-flight-home-748346/)

hochieman2 Nov 13th, 2007 07:15 AM

Can this be done? Mal Pais drive to San jose to catch flight home

we would be flying to Tambor and staying 5 nights in Mal Pais, we would rent a car from budget, the question is my husband would like to drive back to SJO to catch a 3:55 pm flight back home. How long would this take us? We would have to return the car to budget in SJO, not knowing where that is. Could we do this this or would it just be best to fly back to SJO?

Jeff_Costa_Rica Nov 13th, 2007 07:30 AM

The drive from Malpais to San Jose can take around six hours, assuming you hit the ferry schedule just right. Factor in some buffer time in case you hit a lot of traffic, plus time to return the car and the fact that you're supposed to be at the airport three hours before your flight leaves. (Not everyone does that last one.) You'd have to leave Malpais well before dawn, and I would not want to be driving those roads out there in the dark. I'd say fly back to SJO or come back the day before your flight home.

shillmac Nov 13th, 2007 07:35 AM

100% agree!

joeschmo Nov 13th, 2007 08:04 AM

Ditto!
That drive would be way too much pressure after a relaxing vacation.

dfr4848 Nov 13th, 2007 09:41 AM

Besides being in agreement, I'd just reemphasize Jeff's point about being at the airport 3 hours before your flight. We did that - and still barely made the flight. I know it can vary, but it's good advice IMO.

hochieman2 Nov 14th, 2007 05:23 AM

thanks,I thought flying would be best myself, just needed some extra input for the hubby who wanted to drive it. Thanks again

shillmac Nov 14th, 2007 03:30 PM

If it weren't for the ferry schedule and having to conform to it, driving would be a viable option. But couple that with the need to be at the airport by 1:00 (or 1:30 at the latest), and you have too many "have to's" to make for a relaxing finish!

I'm not sure what the ferry schedule is these days, but there used to be an 8:30 a.m. departure from Paquera. So you'd need to leave Malpais by 6:00 in time to show up for your one hour wait (which might be too much but you never know). The ferry SHOULD arrive at the Puntarenas dock by 10:00. You SHOULD be able to drive from the tip of the spit to airport area in 2 hours, arriving at 12:00 NOON. You SHOULD be able to turn in the car and get to the airport in the hour between noon and 1:00.

I know your husband is thinking, well heck, it's all do-able--and it is. IF everything goes as it SHOULD. That is where you might hit the snag. And it would only take one snag to foul you up. In a country where snags are part of the adventure. . .! :) Make it easy on yourselves!