Can someone look over my Costa Rica Itinerary?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Neil

Can someone look over my Costa Rica Itinerary?

Below is an itinerary I've put together for a trip to Costa Rica. Can someone farmiliar with the area look it over and tell me if I'm staying ant any venues for too long or not long enough? It would be so helpful.

Thanks,
Neil
---

12/18 Arrive in San Jose

12/19 San Jose
options:
go to a coffee farm community
see city

12/20 - 12/22 La Fortuna / Volcan Arenal
Drive up early, maybe stop at LaPaz Waterfalls for lunch, continue to Arenal and spend the afternoon hiking around the volcano / lake / La Fortuna Waterfall. Maybe a massage at the Tabacon Spa (www.tabacon.com) and either stay there or the Arenal Observatory Lodge.
Spend second day at the spa and hiking or go to Cano Wildlife Refuge for a day trip.

12/22- 12/23 Monteverde Cloud Forest
Drive to Monteverde Cloud Forest
hike in the forest
Do a canopy tour
Sky Walk

12/23 - 12/25 Tarcoles / Jaco / Carara
See the Carara Biological Reserve
Go to Jaco Beach (good nitelife)
Playa Hermosa

12/25-28 Go to Quepos
Go to Manuel Antonio National Park and Beach
-beaches
-rainforests
-kayaking
-river rafting
-hiking

12/28 Drive back to San Jose early to catch flights

-------

PS. I'm staying in Manuel Antonio / Jaco area too long we were thinking of flying down to Carcovado National Park.

Thnks for any help!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:41 AM
Iza

I think that cramming another destinationa into your schedule (such as Corcovado) would not do it justice. Plus I think you need to spend at least 3 days on Osa to really appreciate it.
I think your itinerary looks fine in general. You may consider adding another night at Monteverde since it takes forever to get there, and maybe dropping a night from the Jaco portion of your trip.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:56 PM
Kelly

Agree, re. Monteverde. I think that if you check out tour times, etc, you'll find that driving there and doing your activities there on the same day would be very challenging.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Nelda

Neil,

You are less than two months from the trip. If you still have no hotels reserved I think you may have alot of trouble since your going to busy areas in the most crowded time of year. I found many places already full when I was booking for Arenal since this is Christmas time. Could not get into Arenal Observatory Lodge when I tried 3 months ago. My advice is to make your plans solid NOW and hurry up! Nelda.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:19 PM
dee

depending on where you are, it can take hours to get to these tours. When we went, it took us 4 hours to get to the cloud forest, and 4 hours back. The ride up the mountain was amazing. Its something we'll never forget. It was so narrow, I couldn't see how it could be a 2 way road. The mountain was so steep, I found myself and some of the others, closing thier eyes going up. We had the window seat and when I looked down, I couldn't see the road. (we were that close to the edge). The drivers are experienced though, and they've travelled these roads many, many times. I enjoyed the cloud forest, but the experience that day I'll never forget, is the ride going up the mountain, and coming down. You've got to do this tour. Its well worth it. Be sure to bring a jacket. It get pretty chilly, and windy, and don't forget your video camera. Everyone told us to wear hiking boots, but nobody on our tour did. A comfortable pair of runners is just fine.
If you get a chance, try the snorkelling. Its amazing. We couldn't believe how warm the water was.

P.S.

Your plans really are crammed and I think it would be really impossible to do so much. Like I said, most of the tours we did were hours away, and it was really exhausting. We didn't get to go on the volcano tour, but someone we were with did, and they said it was well worth it. They also went to coco beach and said it was a waste of a day. The liberia shopping trip was lots of fun to, and we got to see some of the city. Not a place you'd expect to see burger king.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Marilynn

Neil,
Iagree that one day in Monteverde is not enough. I had never been to CR but always like to do my own driving so I rented a car with a friend and away we went. Spent a nite at Arenal Observatory (drove early in Morn from SJ) went to Hot Springs, etc. Next morn we took the volcano hike then left for Monteverde. It is a 4 hour trip by car because of the roads. I played a game with the pot holes but hardly never left 2nd gear. We stayed 2 nites and did the guided tour and zip trek canopy ride - what a thrill! Stayed at Hotel Montana - very moderate and nice. Left after breakfast and headed for the ferry at Punterenas -we were there in 2 and a half hours. So road on other side is much better. Spend only 1 nite in Jaco - eat at the Poseidon - excellent! Colorado owners. Or Jungle Cafe on Main road after leaving Jaco. (Nearer to Playa Hermosa)Cheap and great!California owners. We stayed 2 nites in Manuel Antonio and 2 in Dominical at Rio Del Mar (make a right as you turn into town and follow the river on dirt road for about 3/4 of a mile - what a find!!!!
Anyhow, Ive been back with my husband in green season and he had a ball following my footsteps. I ventured on down to the Osa and spent 3 days at the Parrot Bay Club on Gulfo Dulce - owned by a couple from Charleston,SC. Great Time and Cabinas - met a lot of interesting people - good guide. Experienced the greatest electrical storm ever one nite.
Hope this is helpful! We like to pack a lot into 10 days, too.
Marilynn