Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Can one 'experience' Arenal by just taking a tour out of SJ? Or should we plan to stay there?

Search

Can one 'experience' Arenal by just taking a tour out of SJ? Or should we plan to stay there?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now, we are booked 3 nights at Vista del Valle near San Jose. We were also planning to stay 3 nights at Arenal. But it looks as though Arenal can be quite rainy in July. So... should we extend our stay at Vista del Valle and not stay at Arenal at all and just do a tour there? Or should we stay with what we have? OR...I'm thinking we could stay 4 nights at Vista del V. and 2 at Arenal. Thoughts? We'd really like to try and avoid as much rain as possible (we're from Washington Coast).

Thank you for your suggestions!!!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM

The truth is that it is often quite rainy at Arenal, not only in July. The advantage of visiting in July is that the volcano is frequently more visible when it is deep into the rainy season (the best month for volcano viewing is October, the rainiest month). I would not let the rain deter you from your visit to Arenal. I think the one-day two is exhausting and a bit of a rip-off actually. It is for people who "want it all" but don't want to take the time to "experience" it all. They end up having a little bit of not much.

Rain in Costa Rica (tropical rain), by the way, is not the same as rain in Washington State. It rains, it stops, the sun is out on both sides of the shower. It isn't drizzly hardly ever. It isn't cold at all. It is refreshing actually.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This website is truly the best source of unbiased information. What do you mean by "the one-day two is exhausting". So. would you stay 2, 3 or 0 nights in Arenal?
Thanks again!!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM

I would suggest 3 nights at Vista del valle and 3 nights in Arenal at the Lost Iguana resort. We stayed for 3 nights at the Lost Iguana in Arenal in June 2005 and had beautiful volcano views all 3 nights, right from our room. It was sunny every morning and rained part of every afternoon, but it was warm so didn't mind the rain, it was cooling. One day we actually saw a thunder and lightening storm, which was very dramatic, my young adult California kids loved it! Quite atmospheric!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
lvk

I don't really think you can "experience" the Arenal area with just a "quickie" day trip. You stand a much better chance of seeing the volcano if you stay a few days.

My favorite memories of Arenal are watching the lava flow down the side of the volcano from our bed at the Arenal Paraiso. We also saw and heard eruptions while we were sitting by the pool, eating lunch.

We were there in August, and there were tropical rainstorms (as described in raderrbarbarian's post) every day. Regardless, I did not regret the 4 days we spent there.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM

Go for your visit to Arenal, three nights if you can. If it rains, it will stop and the sun will come out again, but yet you may just be in the Indian Summer, and not have any rain at all.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM

My statement above, "the one-day two is exhausting" was a typo, alas. I meant to say "the one-day tour is exhausting."