Can Aventura Palace really be that bad?

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 07:37 PM
mikey

Can Aventura Palace really be that bad?

I have heard it all... This sucked, that sucked... what do you expect? Most buffets are marginal and not meant to be a culinary masterpiece. Next time it will be too spicy. We are going in Nov. and will not act like assholes and complain about everything. Ill' bet you did not tip one dollar to any of the staff the entire time you were there.. A well placed tip will get you good drinks and good service. At meals, I'll bet its " I want..." instead of "I would like.." You want American food?, Why bother going to Mexico?.. Go to your local Western Sizzlin'and get some cutter grade gray roast beef.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Natasha

I agree!!!! The problem is people only put their two cents in when they have a complaint. You never hear of someone going out of their way to say good stuff!! I am going to start by saying, I LOVED the Cancun Palace when I went there. I thought the food was great, the rooms were awesome and the beach was incredible. Where else can you go and get SO much for your money? Everyone has different taste in food anyway. I don't like Chinese food, does that mean it sucks? NO!! It means I am an individual with individual needs and not everyone is going to like everything the same!! I thought the Cancun Palace did a great job with service. GOOD JOB PALACE RESORTS!!!
Natasha

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 09:23 AM
mikey

Here,here.. The people who work at these
resorts see lots of jerks, its no wonder they may appear jaded. Im sure a little
kindness will be reciprocated ten fold. If one treats employees like sh-t, they won't lift a finger for you , and neither would I.
I do not like the idea of bumping people from one resort to another, I think it smacks of pure,unadulterated, b.s., but, It probably is in the fine print, and if you went through a travel agent and there was no mention of the possibility of getting bumped, take it up with the agency. If they value your business as much as they should, they will make some kind of overture in good faith. If you booked online or independently, tough cheese; use an agent next time.... What little commission they are paid(5-10%)is well worth it for invaluable insight into matters such as getting "bumped." Let the buyer beware............

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Yesitis

Aren't you guys assuming alot? Maybe the place really did suck, at least to him. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Lots of people post great reviews for places! And I have yet to met a travel agent that was that intimately acquainted with any resort to be able to speak for the quality of the buffet! You usually do get what you pay for in travel though & the Palace resorts are not billed as a luxury environment. Any resort over 50 or so rooms is going to get that "institutionalized" flavor. Good luck everyone!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 01:44 PM
mikey

ok...... I can appreciate how you feel. You are correct.. It probably was a shock to be bumped like that and that would tend to color my opinion considerably..... My wife are going in a couple of weeks, believe me, I will fess up in no uncertain terms if Aventura Palace is disappointing.... stay tuned.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 02:46 PM
shelley

Lucky you - going to Aventura is great. We spent a week there in Jan. The resort is very clean, the food was good & varied & the staff were very, very accommodating. Even though we spoke very little Spanish we managed. It makes me sick when I read a letter like the one of complaint. I doubt that he would be happy staying anywhere. If you go with a ...... attitude then it is your problem not that of the hotel. We were looking for a particular bottle of liquor & asked a bartender where we could find it. When he came to work the next day he had it with him & the bill so we would know how much he had paid. Of course we tipped him (as we did with a number of staff) but I think more than the tipping just being a decent person while on vacation will certainly make it better for everyone. Go to Aventura & have a wonderful time - we did.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 12:52 AM
James

For all those ahead of me that said to tip, great plan. It's pretty common sense. YOU ARE IN MEXICO!!!!! This isn't Canada or The U.S. They have different ways of doing things. A little money goes a long way down there. Don't flaunt it and make it seem like they owe you the world because you left them $5.00. Just leave it and be happy, but when you go back they will remember you. Treat them like a person and they will respond by treating you like a person. A vacation can go from good to great, by getting to know the staff at a hotel and useing their knowledge of the city.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 11:13 AM
debbie

Geez you know I just posted my two cents worth on the Caribbean board about all those naysayers, moaners, complainers and negative nellies out there so I'm glad to see your response Mikey. When someone has already picked their resort out, I think it's pretty nasty for people to write in and say bad things about your choice!
Firstly though I disagree that buffets are not meant to be culinary masterpieces - maybe so but we found the buffet and sit down dinner food at the RIU Palace (on the Mayan Riveria and further north than the Palace) to be very tasty and quite good - we especially liked the way they prepared it fresh in front of you! A guy here in the office spent a week at the Moon Palace and absolutely raved about the pasta dishes on the buffet....and he's Italian!
Granted this is based on only our 3 experiences of vacationing in the PDC/Coz area but we found all the service to be pleasant and VERY FAST. Although tips are included in our ai prices, we still always tip at the end of our stay and to those people who we gotten to know and just been that extra special - the waiter, the room maid who always left extra towels when requested, a few of the bartenders. But you're right - it doesn't hurt to tip but on the Yucatan side of Mexico we have never felt that we had to tip before hand to get good service! That service was there because we don't treat the servers like they are second class citizens. I take great joy in seeing the idiots get bad service because they deserve everything they get. The only problem is that these clods then get on this board and waste space complaining about the bad service!
And as for the American food thing, well other than agreeing with you I'll just stop now before I say something really nasty!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 11:23 AM
debbie

P.S. one comment on the 'getting bumped' thing. A woman in my office was booked into the RIU Yucatan last November and they got bumped to the RIU Palace. The Palace had just opened (and as you all know it's the more expensive version of the Yucatan) and they wanted to try out the staff and facilities - the woman and her husband were very pleased with getting to stay in the much more palatial Palace (with bar service on the beach no less) for Yucatan pricing! Needless to say there were the ubiquitious negative nellies (Canadians!) who actually complained about getting 'bumped' up to the more expensive place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you are going to get complainers about everything - you just have to separate them from those who can still enjoy a holiday destination and make the best of any of the lesser attractive qualities of their chosen destination!

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 01:23 PM
mikey

AMEN! nice to hear your comments... there is hope. I for one am excited to be going with my lovely wife next thursday. I am sure we will have a great time because we will CHOOSE to... I am hoping the selection of tequilas is as good as i have heard. Ill have one TOP SHELF margarita for all the naysayers and all the rest for good people who appreciate good service. My trip report will be forthcoming the last week in Sept. Stay tuned!

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Jan

I spent 4 of the most wonderfull days and nights of my life at the Aventura Palace. It was our 20th Anniversary and I can't say enough good things about it. The resort is absolutely beautiful. The pictures I had seen do not do it justice. The people were friendly and eager to serve. I spend some part of each day trying to figure out how to get back there. Sign me "Very Pleased"

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:06 PM
dnorrie

In response to Debbie about ubiquitous negative nellies (Canadians) - how rude. There are many people who complain and not just Cdn's! Different folks have different ideas about what they should receive for their dollar. And, some have very bad experiences. You have different cooks and different servers - you never know. But to post a reply like that shows that you are not very nice. For shame!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:13 PM
Debbie

Geez you know, I went back and read my post and I can't see where I ever stated that all those negative nellies were 'Canadians'!
And from I can see on this board, my post was pretty tame! Yes, many people do have bad experiences but how much of it is because they've asked to be treated badly simply in return by being boorish and demanding! And I'm not singling out Canadians in this comment,
signed,
a very proud Canadian who researchs, researchs and researchs and then trys to make the best of a vacation rather than bitch 'n complain about it!