Can anyone stand to look at yet another itinerary?

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone stand to look at yet another itinerary?

I know that most of you must be sick of critiquing itineraries, but I am hoping that somone will take pity on me. We are a family of four who will be in Costa Rica for eleven days.

Here is our tentative itinerary:
6/30 and 7/1 Arrive and drive directly to Tabacon
7/2 and 7/3 Stay at Si Como No in MA
7/4-7/7 Stay at Bosque del Cabo
7/8 Stay somewhere along the way to break up the trip back to San Jose
7/9 Stay at Vista del Valle
7/10 Depart from San Jose back to New York

We are planning on renting a car and driving to all of our destinations. I really want to see the Osa peninsula but I do not think that there is enough Xanax in the world to get me on one of those small planes. I don't mind lengthy journies in the car. Is this at all doable or am I being overly ambitious?
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:40 PM

You won't be anyplace but Bosque for long enough to even see it.

If you drive to Tabacon on the 1st, then drive 5-6hrs to Si Como No on the 2nd, IMO that is too short a turn around. It can be done but I doubt if you will enjoy it. That time of year can be variable for rain so one night in the Arenal area to see the volcano could be a big disappointment. If you have your heart set on the hot springs and don't mind living out of a suitcase for a couple of days then go for it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Jessie. We arrive in San Jose early enough to get to Tabacon by 4:00 pm on June 30th so we will be there for two nights. One other option I am considering is skipping the night of 7/8 to break up the trip from the Osa to Vista del Valle and just doing a commando drive straight through. That would give us one other night somewhere, probably added to our trip to Si Como No or Bosque del Cabo. I know that it will be a busy trip with lots of driving and living out of suitcases, but I really want to see Arenal and the Osa.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 08:07 PM

ttt
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, but what is ttt?
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:43 AM

I think this is too little time in Arenal and Manuel Antonio to appreciate them. We did the drive from Quepos to Bosque del Cabo at almost the exact time of year two years ago. This can be an interesting experiance to say the least. I would suggest emailing Bosque and also maybe one other place in Puerto Jimenez for road conditions before you go. This is rainy season and there can be bridges washed out,etc. Suffice to say that last year we overcame our fear of small planes and flew to Puerto Jimenez. If you are going to Manuel Antonio for the purpose of wildlife you will see all the same wildlife at Bosque del Cabo. If you do go to Manuel Antonio I think it is sensible to do it before you go to the Osa. We drove back there after stopping there on our way down to Bosque and it was an assault on our senses after the peace and quiet on the Osa. The plane ride is so short and actually kind of fun since you are not flying so high.If you have children with you I think they would love it. Do you plan to rent one of the houses? We had to stay at Casa Blanca for one night this year since the cabinas were full and we really loved it. It is really ideal for a family to spread out.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Karenf,
Thanks for the reply. My husband has tried to convince me that the quick plane ride could be less frightening than the driving conditions in the green season. It sounds like you would agree with him. Our new plan is to do two nights at Arenal and then head back to San Jose. We will (GULP) take a plane from San Jose to Drake Bay and stay at La Paloma Lodge for four nights. Next, we will have a driver take us to Bosque del Cabo and spend four nights there. The next morning, we will fly out of Puerto Jiminez and head to the airport for our trip back to New York. I am glad that you would recommend Casa Blanca because I am hoping to rent that while we are there. Both places look beautiful and we are so excited to go to Costa Rica for the first time. I think that you are right and my kids will love the adventure of the small plane;unlike their mother, who will be terrified the entire time! Thanks again for your advice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 07:37 AM

Just to reassure you that the plane ride will {probably} be a breeze, compared to driving. We had a driver one way to Drake Bay, and it was hot and exhausting. The return plane trip was actually fun!

There is so much to do and see in the Arenal area, that even if you're not lucky enough to see the volcano, you shoudn't be bored.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM

ttt means : to the top. Sometimes, a long list of threads "buries" an unanswered question at the bottom of the list, and people don't see the question. By replying to your thread, the software brings it to the top of the list of threads as most current, sorted by time/date of last posting. Because the thread needed more input, I wanted you to receive more replies from other people.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Hi crs,
That sounds like a good plan.We also stayed at La Paloma last summer after Bosque del Cabo. The drive was fine.You will also love La Paloma. We did the Corcovado tour and the night walk with the bug lady. I assume you will have a rancho for your family. The beach there is very easy to get to and you can also use kayaks there for free.We actually saw more wildlife on the Bosque grounds than on the Corcovado tour but we went with a group of people our age so it was not a very strenuous hike. ( We are in mid fifties.)I think you made a wise choice to go to La Paloma rather than Manuel Antonio.