Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Cala Luna Hotel, Tamarindo, CR - anybody stayed there

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 07:39 AM
Iz

I can't find this place in any guides, it seems brand new. Anybody stayed there or has seen it? If so what is your impression. Thanks.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Jeri

We just came back from Costa Rica & spent 3 nites at Cala Luna. It is unbelievable. We (my husband & I and 2 kids) stayed in a villa & the reservation was made by a travel agent. We assumed it would be a suite with kitchenette. No, it was a 2 bedroom house with full kitchen, large beautifully furnished living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. We also had our own small private pool! They also have regular rooms, but I did not see those. The people were very nice and it included a full breakfast. It is about a 10 min walk to the beach. Ask at the front desk the first day as the directions are not obvious. The only drawback is that it's a 25 min walk to town. No problem if you have a car (we didn't).

Old Aug 16th, 2000, 08:40 PM
Jose

This is a great hotel 5 Star.

Hope this helps:

http://www.get2costarica.com/calaluna.htm

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Lindsey

We spent three nights at Calaluna for our honeymoon--what a mistake. The hotel is NOT right on the beach, and you have a walk a long distance if you want to swim in the ocean. The desk staff was rude and unhelpful. There are not enough chairs at the pool so you are forced to race out in the morning and put a towel down if you'd like to lounge by the pool--quite a problem since the beach is not right there. In addition, the lounge chair situation created a strange environment where people would just toss your towel off your chair if they wanted your space and you happened to be away from the pool area. Calaluna was the only blight on an otherwise perfect honeymoon...

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:41 AM
wendy

Lindsey:
What other hotels did you stay at? I'm going to CR on my honeymoon in March.
Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:17 AM
sandy schaub

hi, we just went to costa rica for 2nd time and stayed in tamarindo. we never heard of that place but im surprised at the 2 different opinions.well here is my opinon-we stayed at hotel pasatiempo.$70.00 a night, 4 minute walk to beach,if that.small cabana's,cute .it's 1 large room and a large bathroom with a patio and chairs and hammock. right up our alley.nothing fancy but how much timedo you spend in the room? they have a nice pool, great bar wonderful people.the pool was never crowded ans everyone is so friendly. we loved it. he has 2 new rooms that we saw and they are biggrt with 3 or 4 rooms and so clean and cute. i think they were $95.00 check it out, the owners name is ron, we still talk to him.if nothing else e-mail him and ask him about that place. he will tell you the truth. let me know if i can help you with anything else. we love costa rica
sandy schaub

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Lindsey

Wendy,
We stayed at Si Como No in Manuel Antonio and loved it! Our room was amazing, we had a beautiful view of the ocean and monkeys hung out in the trees by the pool! The food was excellent, too, and at night they show movies in their cute little theater. The only issue is that there is construction going on there--this didn't bother us at all b/c we were very far from it, so if you go there I'd request a room far away. We also loved Tabacon, though the hotels are just average, the spa and hot springs are so nice. I lived in CR for 6 months during college, and my favorite place outside of Quepos is probably Monteverde...the cabins up there are all really beautiful. The drive up is rather rough, though. Have a great time! Other than the Cala Luna debacle, our honeymoon was perfect...

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 11:19 AM
kristen

Wendy - I've stayed at Capitan Suizo's on Playa Tamarindo the past four years and have had a great experience everytime. This place is very intimate with 20 some rooms and a few casitas (perfect for honeymooners), wonderful service, beautiful setting (located right on a great swimming/walking beach and has a nice pool with a beautiful tropical garden setting complete with monkeys, iguanas, and tropical birds). We have recommended this place to other friends and they have all loved it. Pura Vida!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Wendy

Thanks both of you for your responses. Now everything's booked, but maybe there will be a next time!!!!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Frank

Wendy,
Take a look at the honeymoon suite at Hotel Sugar Beach. You will be 50 feet from the ocean and have your own private balcony with hammock overlooking the Pacicfic. Plus the hotel has the best restaurant in Guanacaste.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:38 AM

Any other thoughts on Hotel Sugar Beach?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM

Hoping to get some newer replies.

Anyone been to Cala Luna more recently?

I'm debating between:

Cala Luna
Villa Caletas
Punta Islita

I will combine 5-7 nights at one of the above locations, with 5-7 nights at Tabacon resort.

Thanks!