Notices

Cabo San Lucas- 1st time travelers... ?'s

Old Feb 25th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo San Lucas- 1st time travelers... ?'s

Hello fellow fodorites...we are traveling to Cabo at the end of March and altho' we have lodging secured, we are wondering about other "must see" recommendations... our two children 8 and 10 will be with us..

Any great spots for snorkeling, restaurants that kids enjoy too, beaches where swimming is safe, other nearby towns,etc...

We are debating about renting a car, as it sounds like water taxis are convenient and not too expensive... however we don't want to be limited on other nearby destinations if we don't have a vehicle.. also, is it recommended to bring food to save on cost as we are our hotel has a kitchenette... any other sites besides Trip Advisiors is also welcomed..

thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Mare: Where are you staying? That will determine if you need a car.

Medano Beach right in CSL is the only swimmable beach. It also has the water taxis, water sports etc.

Santa Maria and Chileano Beaches are also known for their snorkeling. You can go by car or bus or take a boat tour. We have used Pez Gato to go out to Santa Maria. Very fun. At the end of March, you may also be able to go out on a whale watching tour.

Many choices as far as restaurants. On the beach, we like Tabascos. Mango Deck is fun as is the Office, but go early in the day. By late afternoon, patrons are getting too drunk and behavior is R rated.

For a special night with great Mexican ambiance, we like Mi Casa. Prices are $$. Las Golondrinas is also nice for a special night under the stars: prices $$$. Too many others to recommend.

There is also alot of shopping available in all price ranges. My daughter has always liked the "junk shopping", and you will find alot of that!!

Again, the car thing just depends on where you are staying and if you will get enough use out of it. If this is your first time down there, a car is probably not so useful. Water taxis are just in the Medano beach area and go out to the Arch and Marina and that is about it.

I will try to dig up some links to my old trip reports for you to check out.

MY
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:13 AM

Here is a link to a trip to Cabo we took about 5 years ago. We have been back several times since:

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...s-a-report.cfm
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Bringing food: I usually bring coffee & filters, microwave popcorn, favorite cereal.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:31 AM

We need to know your hotel to make a comment on the rental car. If you're staying in downtown, then no. If you're way out the "Corridor" somewhere, then you might like to have one.

Medano Beach right in Cabo is the only swimmable beach. It's a fun place lined with beach bars & restaurants (some more rowdy, some more quiet and family-friendly).

My favorite restaurants were: Mama's Royal for breakfast, Gordo Lele's taco shop for lunch, and Maros Shrimp House or Misione de Kino for dinner. They'd all be great for kids.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 06:33 AM

As far as other websites, really the TA Cabo forum is all you need! Very active with friendly and helpful bunch of posters. I totally planned my 1st trip with the help only of Fodor's (hotel) and that forum (airport transport, restaurants, grocery, money, etc.) and it went very smooth.
Old Feb 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM

Your children might enjoy a whale watching excursion - I can't remember which outfit we used to do that, but there are many in Cabo.