Cabo or Cancun for 1st Mexico trip -- In September?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Janie

Cabo or Cancun for 1st Mexico trip -- In September?

We (husband and I) are going on our first trip to Mexico in Mid-September. I know it's hurricane season, but it's the only time we can get away. I can't decide between Cabo, Cancun or south of Cancun in the Playa del Carmen area. Is one less likely to get hit by a hurricane than the other? Will it be hotter in one spot than the other? I like the looks of the scenery around Cabo, but the beaches and water look prettier around Cancun. Is this accurate? Also, if we decided on Cancun, should we stay in town for our first trip, or south of town - We're in our early 40's and would probably be happy sitting at a lively beach bar in the evenings. Thanks for your imput!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Nancy

Janie,
I haven't been to Cabo, but I've been to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera quite a few times.
I would also suggest Cozumel as a possibility as there are lots of things to do and see there without the harried pace of Cancun.
Cancun is bustling and commercial - almost like a large American city on the beach - with many bars and restaurants.
The beach and water around Cancun are some of the most beautful anywhere, but the rest of the scenery is pretty lackluster.
Based on what you are looking for, I might suggest half of your trip in Playa del Carmen, and half in Cancun.
They are close to each other, and PDC has one of the most gorgeous streches of beach I've ever seen. There are oceanfront beach bars there, and lots of good restaurants and things to see.
Mid-September is not only hurricane season, it is the HEIGHT of hurricane season for the Atlantic/Caribbean.
You will get very good rates at even the most luxurious properties. In Cancun, I suggest the Ritz Carlton or the JW Marriott. Do not go all inclusive.
Have fun!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Janie

Thanks for your reply Nancy - but I'm curious as to why you say not to go all-inclusive? Won't we risk Montezuma's revenge by eating away from the resort?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Nancy

Hi again,
I feel that getting sick in Mexico is a misconception that gets thrown around on this board a lot. It does happen, just not with the frequency that some people think. I blame it more on overindulgence in tequila and sun than anything else
I've been to Mexico many, many times, and got sick only once for 1 day.
You are much more likely to get sick at the AI's buffets that have been sitting out for hours being picked over by many people than eating at a reputable restaurant in Mexico.
There are so many fantastic restaurants with all kinds of different foods that you truly do yourself a disservice by limiting yourself to an AI. (I have stayed at 3 AI's, and the food was not very good at any of them.)
I also feel that AI's tend to keep you tied to the resort when you could be out sightseeing and enjoying your vacation.
The only time I would recommend an AI is for someone who really just wants to stay in one place on the beach and not do much outside of that...

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:42 AM
For Janie

That food is safer at All-Inclusives is a misconception! Think of a mediocre buffet at a chain hotel anywhere. Compare that to lookiung around and choosing a nice restaurant, ordering from their menu, with food freshly prepared for you.

"Turista" more often comes from the handling, lack of refrigeration, reheating, reserving of food, than from any problems with the food to begin with.

Do stick with bottled water only. Ice cubes in bars and restaurants (in tourist locals anyway) are normally bought from a purified water company so are OK.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Mr.X

Cabo gets hit by Hurricanes in August September. They had a major one last year Julietta that hung around for 4 days. Try Peurta Vallarta or Zihautanejo.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Pacific instead?

All 3 places you are considering are subject to the fall hurricane possibility. As mentioned above maybe the Pacific coast instead (Puerto Vallarta or Zijuatanejo). You could get some rain but not hurricanes.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:10 AM
x

anybody who has any decent taste buds say that the food a AI's are very dull. and i agree that i'd rather have a hot plate of food in front of me then picking at a buffet that 100 other people have been messing with. plus, don't you want to experience mexican...look for places that have locals eating at and are busy which so a good turn over in food.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:04 PM
js

My husband and I have been to Mexico about every year for the past 15 yrs. . Last year we tried a AI for the first time and loved it. First of all you get not only your food but drinks with the AI. This totally makes your vacation stress free as you do not have to budget for food , you are free to spend on stuff and tours. We did eat anyway from the hotel when we were in town . My husband asways gets sick (some people just do, as I never have) and the AI trip was the first trip that he did not get sick.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Stacy

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Cancun three years ago. It was amazing! The water is beautiful bright blue, white sand beaches. I recommend you stay further way from the more commercialized main areas of Cancun, like in Playa del Carmen. You can always take transportation into town if you want to. Recommended activities: Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xcaret, Xel Ha are all must dos. Cabo looks too much like a desert with golf courses and ocean.