Cabo? Mayan Riveria? Isla Mujeres or somewhere else?

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabo? Mayan Riveria? Isla Mujeres or somewhere else?

We just got the ok on vacation for the week after Christmas. Hooray!

We were thinking Costa Rica but it looks like hotels and logistics are problematic at this late date. We've previously loved vacationing in Belize, St. John, Big Sur.

A few people have suggested Mexico and there appear to be a fair number of flights. So the question is where to go. While we like the beach, we really like to have some other activites ... golf, hiking, interesting culture, great food (not all are necessary except the great food ... which does not have to be high end). For a week vacation, we'd like to stay in one place vs. moving around, where would you recommend going? It looks like our flight options are into Cancun or Cabo. We prefer not to go the AI route and are certainly open to heading off the beaten path. Any suggestions (especially for hotels) are greatly appreciated!

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 09:10 PM

Have you looked into any hotels yet? I'm only familiar with the areas south of Cancun like Tulum. I know most places that are non-AI are sold out during the holidays.

You can check on avail hotels on locogringo.com - they list avail under each hotels name for holiday season.
Also look at differentworld.com (they book all of Mex) - each hotel has an avail calendar.

Also check out the prices - it's usually double of the normal rate during holiday season.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Pepper131.

I have looked a few hotels and most are AI - which I just am not interested in unless the hotel is know for great food.

I'd loved to have planned this earlier but, unfortunately, circumstances did not allow it so we can go on vacation an maybe not have it be exactly what we want and pay a premium for it or we can watch the snow fly in Chicago ... I'd rather do the former.

Any thoughts on pros/cons of Cabo/Mayan Riveria/Isla Mujeres? Or is there somewhere else we should consider? Where do the spontaneous people vacation?
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 05:47 AM

first of all cabo is on the west coast the rest east. so the travel time would be much different.
and you've chosen the most expensive and crowded time of year to visit the caribbean. lol even for spontaneous folks.

of your choices isla has the least happening. no ai's. you don't even rent a car, you rent a golf cart to get around the island. no golf or "culture". dining ok but limited.

the area around playa del carman will offer the most - hotels and central to the 'to do's' in the area.

cabo has golf and a lot of fishing. if you go be sure you're on "the corridor" as that's the only swimming beach.

i would email locogringo immed. tell them your price range and dates and tell them you don't want ai. they will inform you of what's available from their listing. this might be a villa or hotel...

finally while i am a totally into doing my own planning i would probably consider talking to a travel agent for this trip. you don't have time to do a lot of research...and need to book asap.

good luck. let us know what you find.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM

I'm with ya, bakpakr - we usually plan about a month out for our vacations - my husband usually doesn't know when he can commit to being off. But we've never done so at Xmas. And we've never gone AI, because I like to eat good food; not burgers piled like a prison-buffet.

I can't compare - I've only been to Holbox, Tulum, Playa del Carmen and surrounding areas. I briefly looked at offerings on locogringo and I see quite a bit open in PDC - small, boutique hotels...but I think all beachfront hotels are sold out.

Since golf is a priority, you might consider staying around PDC, Playacar or the Fairmont near Puerto Morelos.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Cabo is great over Christmas and there are lots of hotels that are not all inclusive. The swimming beaches are actually not only on the corridor--there is also the main swimming beach right in town called El Medano beach, which is where we usually stay. Good hotels on the main beach are the Pueblo Bonito, Pueblo Bonito Rose, Melia (I think they changed the name to ME) and they just opened a new one that looks nice called Villa del Arco. On the corridor you will find many of the nicer chain hotels like the Westin, Fiesta Americana and then also the exclusive ones like the Palmilla and Las Ventanas. Depending where you are, its about a 15-30 minute cab ride from a corridor hotel to town, whereas if you stay in town, you can walk there in about 5 minutes. Most of these hotels pop up on expedia on a hotel search, but it will be more pricey that usual bc of the holidays. There are also some great restaurants in Cabo--our favorites are La Golondrina, Nic San (sushi, its great!) and Mi Casa. Activities include fishing, surfing (about an hour away) and lots of golf! Hope that helps!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM

We have been to Mayan Riviera at least six times and have stayed at both Akumal and Isla (only been to Isla four times).

You are going to have a really tough time finding a place this late, Isla might be easier. For the Mayan Riviera, try a travel agent or Locogringo, we have used them in the past to book Hotel Akumal Caribe and they are very reliable. ABR (AI in Akumal) was sold out for Christmas in June, and Hotel Akumal Caribe I think was sold out in July. They might have some condos available.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Pepper131 was right - the only options were AIs and the costs to go around New Years were eyepopping. I even went to a travel agent who was very discouraging ... evidently this is a banner year for travel.

Anyway - we've decided to hit the slopes in Park City and enjoy hot cocoa instead of cool margaritas.