Cabo Beach/Snorkeling info sought

Sep 10th, 2001, 08:30 AM
elliott

Cabo Beach/Snorkeling info sought

My wife and I are considering a trip to Cabo in early Feb 02. We would stay at the Fiesta Americana Vacation Club.

My wife enjoys quiet, calm beaches. I'm more into snorkeling and more active pursuits. I'm not confident that we'll be happy visiting Cabo.

We both enjoy the Caribbean but Cabo allows us to vacation with friends (and share/swap baby sitting for our infants). I suspect the beaches in the Caribbean are nicer and the water is calmer and more suitable for swimming and snorkeling.

Can anyone offer guidance/comparison please?

Sep 11th, 2001, 06:12 AM
elliott

Per above... does anyone know what are water temperatures can be expected in early Feb?

Sep 11th, 2001, 05:14 PM
sally

Boy Elliott, I don't think Cabo is the right "beach" spot for you. We stayed near the FA and unless they have built a huge reef in front of there, the water is not swimmable except for serious body surfers. I have even heard from friends that snorkeling near Lovers Beach, which is supposed to be the "best", is treacherous. This was my third trip, and can't say I have "swam" in the ocean yet! I enjoy a great pool, though, and the white beaches are lovely...but swimming and snorkeling...no.

Sep 16th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Mike

the beaches in Cabo are not as nice as the Carribean. If you wife wants to be left isolated and have quiet time on the beach, Cabo is not for her. These people like to be active and have fun by being with people, not secluded. As far as snorkeling, let me save you probably $40 per person. INstead of taking the boat that shuttles you to Chilleno beach. Take the bus. It will cost you two bucks and you can decide how long to stay for. Just ask any concierge how to do it. It's a short ride, probably 20 minutes or less. The bus stops right at the beach. Just make sure to bring your own gear. There are no food facilities and the bathrooms there are a little gross and whatever you do, don't drink the water there. I like the freedom more than those overpriced, overrated boat shuttles. The actual amount of time in the water isn't much, becuase they screw around with checking in/out, serving lunch and all that. Anyway, enjoy.

Oct 7th, 2001, 08:39 AM
espiers

The water is cold, even last June! These beaches are quiet on the weekday. Santa Maria is smaller, Chilleno bay is bigger. A car is best to get there, for it is a hike to get to them.

Oct 21st, 2001, 05:12 AM
Alanna

I was in Cabo for a day last year in August (a stop on a cruise). I thought it was gorgeous and one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen!

We went snorkling in Lovers Beach - it was quite good but not as good as some of the Caribbean Islands we've been to. We walked to the end of the beach and the sand was phenomenal. The surf was absolutely pounding and the undertows must have been ferocious!

I will definately go back for a golf vacation there someday.

A suggestion for a great beach & snorkling vacation is St Thomas & St Johns in the US Virgin Islands. You can see out into the turquoise waters for hundreds of feet in St Johns. It is like being in a Jacques Cousteau video - incredible snorkling and fantastic beaches!

Enjoy your holiday!

Search this Thread