Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Caba San Lucas (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/caba-san-lucas-230217/)

Jackie Jun 11th, 2002 01:40 PM

Caba San Lucas

Hi,<BR>what is the nicest hotel to stay in at Caba San Lucas? Is there gambeling there?<BR>thanks

xxxxx Jun 11th, 2002 06:05 PM

It is very simple ask your travel agent to find the one that IS NOT SELLING timeshare. In theory you will be able to have a relaxing vacation.

Frank Jun 11th, 2002 08:35 PM

Jackie:<BR><BR>I just got back-we stayed at Villa del Palmar-a great place with kids since all units are either junior suites or 1-2 bedroom units.<BR><BR>Yes the timeshare people were a bit much the first few days, but after that we were left alone...be aware and if you say, politely, thank you but no thanks to their presentation they'll get the message...they are all over town for all the resorts and developments though.<BR><BR>No gambling-from what we saw there are good deals on rooms/air, but once on the ground it was pricey-lots of overpriced meals in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo....Todos Santos is worth your time....nice neat artist colony and a good place to disappear...San Jose has become kinda like Carmel or LaJolla, Cabo San Lucas is where you go to party...<BR><BR>The resorts in the Corridor are nice and new, not cheap, and I suspect there will be less time share BS. The Fiesta Americana looked particularly nice and has a beautiful private beach and views of the Cabo del Sol golf course, rated 5 stars in Golf Digest (one of 8 in north America)...<BR><BR>With kids Villa del Palmar (we have a 2 year old) was a good place (I recommend the optional meal plan as a good deal compared to the overpriced crap in town); otherwise it depends on how close/far you want to be to partying/or fishing. Melia san Lucas is a short walk to the bars of downtown....<BR><BR>I found the best package deals were from Pleasant Holidays on the web-beat many of the other operators by 25-35% from what we priced out. (No I dont work for them...)<BR><BR>Frank

anony Jun 11th, 2002 09:08 PM

Go to Playa de Carmen better beaches, atmosphere, better time. Check out www.playaguide.com lots of small hotels. Yes there is timeshare hanging around there as well. Can't seem to get away from them maybe one day a smare competitor identify a large segment of the market and build a resort town that where opc is not allowed.<BR>we can all have a real vacation so far nothing yet.<BR>www.playaguide.com<BR>I don't work for them.<BR>Here is a great boutique hotel<BR>www.lunata.com

Krisy Jun 12th, 2002 11:45 AM

My vote would be Las Ventanas al Paraiso. Smaller hotel, but beautiful.

anony Jun 12th, 2002 06:25 PM

I would price everything out. See how it works hotel and air or a travel package where the price is of air and hotel are included. In mexico most times it is better to buy the vacation agents package you can't beat the prices.

Edward Jun 15th, 2002 04:57 AM

In Cabo San Lucas there is a betting parlor just west of Plaza las Glorias. TV Monitors, instant feed tickertape, serves food and alcohol, air conditioned. No I don't work for them.