Cab from Arenal Paraiso and Negotiating Prices

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2004, 07:06 PM
jeg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab from Arenal Paraiso and Negotiating Prices

Hi,
I just read another thread and learned that a cab from one of the Arenal hotels to town would cost $20.00 each way. That's a lot higher than I expected! Should I expect the same price from Arenal Paraiso to town?
Also, I've read several comments about getting bargain rates during "green" season and asking for discount rates at hotels. When I asked about a "best" rate at Arenal Paraiso, I was basically given the same price posted on the website (maybe a few dollars less). At another, cheaper, hotel in MA, I was quoted the same price as was listed on the website. Should I be doing something differently and trying to drive a harder bargain or should I just assume (as I was doing until I read a few recent messages) that a lower price isn't an option?
Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Hi jeg,
I'm not sure what town you are referring to at Arenal. There is a town of Arenal, but you probably won't be going there. If you are staying at Arenal Paraiso (right on the main road), it shouldn't cost that much to get to Tabacon Hot Springs (for example). It is a short distance. However, you are a few miles further from La Fortuna (the closest town) and it might cost more to go there. Is that what you are talking about? It is in the opposite direction (east) from Tabacon. The volcano is directly in front of Paraiso.

To get better rates, I think you would need to try negotiating directly by phone or when you get there. Most of us like to book ahead, but during the green season, you are not likely to run into "no vacancy". No guarantee, but you should be safe just arriving and getting a bungalow. You have 2 hotels to choose from should one not be available. The Montana de Fuego is right next door to Paraiso, is comparable, and also offers excellent views. Same thing at Manuel Antonio.

The tricky part is, these are the two most visited places in the country. Why don't you ask the hotel if they think you could get a room upon arrival? They know what their availability is during these months.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:38 AM
jeg
Original Poster

Sorry, Shillmac. The town I was referring to was La Fortuna. Any idea how much a taxi would cost? I'm just hoping it's not $40.00 (round trip) every time we want to eat away from the hotel!
Thanks for your help.
Old May 14th, 2004, 09:18 AM

This sure seems out of line based on our taxi experience in CR, but we've not done it, so couldn't tell you for sure. I would think $20 round trip would be more in the ballpark.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:46 AM

We used a cab in 2002 for trips between our hotel in La Fortuna and Tabacon. Cost was a grand total of $15 RT for all 3 of us. Also, one of the hotels, I can't remember if it's Paraiso or Volcano Lodge, offers FREE shuttle service to and from La Fortuna.
Terri
Old May 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM

jeg, I think you could get a better price by just showing up in the green season, unless you have your heart set on staying in a particular place. Also, sometimes it is nice to see the hotel before you commit to it. Websites are deceiving. We have gone the last three years in July and did not have a problem finding a room, usually at the hotel we wanted. Also, sometimes there are additional green season rates if you pay cash. Montana de Fuego had a free shuttle that ran to the springs.
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:03 AM

To put things in a bit more perspective for you....the Observatory Lodge-and the Arenal Lodge are a lot further from town and you have to travel up dirt roads to get to them. Everything is more expensive from those places because of that. They are both great lodges to stay in. The extra cost is just a fact of life because of the extra difficulty and wear and tear on the cabs to get to them compared to the other hotels on the main road. The other hotels like Arenal Paraiso, Montana del Fuego, Volcano Lodge, Los Lagos are on the main road between Tabacon and La Fortuna so getting around is cheaper and easier.