Buzios or Ilha Grande in Brazil?

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzios or Ilha Grande in Brazil?

I'm in the middle of planning a Brazil trip for August and I think I have our three week itinerary mapped out (of course it keeps changing!)Rio/Salvador/Amazon and a couple of days in Buenos Aires at the end.

I have sometime in Rio and then three nights when I would like to go out of the city. Friends have highly recommended Buzios and I've read about it here but we're also intresested in Ilha Grande where I'm considering staying at the Pestana Angra Dos Reis. In Buzios has anyone stayed at the Casas Brancas (which looks wonderful but is pricey) or is there somewhere more reasonable you'd recommend?

Can anyone illumunate the choice between Buzios and the Ilha Grande? Or let me know about the Pestana or any other accomodation in the area...

If you have visited either or both destinations how did you get there and which was most convenient?

Many thanks, all help appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I have stayed at the Casas Brancas and it looks great on the website but it is not on the beach so why stay there. Take a look at the Collana Park which is on Sao Fernandez beach www.buziosonline.com, great views, great hotel, same price as casas brancas and also I booked when I was in Rio at www.blameitonrio4travel.com and he got me a much better price than I could myself. August is way off season, no one will be in Buzios so wait till you get there and book with Bobby on the website I said and he will get you a good price. Ihle grande I don't know about but I have been to Buzios several times and it is very nice you will enjoy it.It is also off season for Rio, you should be getting good prices.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM

We loved Casa Brancas and was well worth the higher price. In August you will not be swimming in the ocean. Most of the other places there are far from the city center of Buzios so you will have to drive and park. At Casa Brancas it is 5 minutes walk to restaurants etc. including Satiricon...
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much both of you for your help...is there anyone else who has stayed in Ilha Grande
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Pestana is good but you won't be in Ilha Grande. You will spend your time in a resort just like any other in the world! Ilha Grande is very different from Buzios. It is a wild tropical island with a village called Vila d Abraão. There are many simple Posadas there, but if you are looking for good hotels try Pousada do Canto in Abraão Village, Ecodive in Bananal Cove or the wonderful Sitio do Lobo near Abraão. But if you are planning to stay in Angra, Pestana is fine, but I reccommend you to make a Sailboat charter to know more beaches and place of the island. I don't like the schooner trips. If you do not like to sail try to rent a motorboat. See: www.ilhargande.com.ar or www.ilhagrande.com.br (portuguese)
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Luilin,
thanks so much for your feedback it greatly helps. Can you give me any more details on Sitio do Lobo?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Luilin,
the website you suggested is very helpful and the hotels you mentioned look great. Do you know anything about the Pousada Sankay which looks good too? Any opinions?
Many thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 02:15 AM

Some useful information on Ilha Grande and Paraty can be found at http://www.geocities.com/cyacht

Regards !

Carlos