Buying Wood Crafts in Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be stopping in Sarchi to buy wood items such as rocking chairs, jewelry boxes etc. Is Sarchi the best place to buy these types of things? Can I trust these places to ship them? (I have to do this since local flights have 25lb restriction)

Do you have a recommendation of the best store to shop? (Best prices-Nicest stuff)

Is there a way to bargain or obtain discounts? Do you have any suggestions of spotting higher quality items over items of poor construction? Any help is appreciated.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM
hopabout

Hi,
The Sarchi furniture and wooden items are made by many different craftsmen. You can go in store after store and look at different types, etc. The rocking chairs are almost the same everywhere. But, the small items, like the jewelry boxes can be made from different woods or a variety of woods and be totally different.

At one specific shop where they paint the ox carts, the area is huge with a lovely back yard, and picture area.

Across the street the sign says: Shop over here.... it's cheaper!

There is a mall at the same location that has many stores in it.... somehow, I think shopping at the mall might give you some leverage on pricing and choices.

Some stores up there have huge signs saying "We Ship." I have never heard anyone say it was good or bad .

IN San Jose there is an area not far form the downtown that is called Moravia. In Moravia you can buy exactly what you can buy in Sarchi and save the climb up the mountains. BUT, here again, I am not sure about shipping.

Another thought, down the road with the Hampton Inn at the airport there is a location that will keep things for you. It cost, but if you want to leave a suitcase of souveniers, perhaps you can work out a deal.

I would suggest that you look at the places where they are glued together. The joints.... some sloppy work looks sloppy.

HOP

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We purchased an oxcart in Sarchi and a rocker--had them both shipped by different stores. No problems whatsoever. At the mall Hopabout mentions, there are a couple of stores that specialize in gorgeous wooden rosewood bowls. This is a very hard wood and beautiful in color. You should be able to find many that you like--you'll want them all!