Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buying Jewelry In Playa Del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buying-jewelry-in-playa-del-carmen-379481/)

med Nov 29th, 2003 06:47 PM

Buying Jewelry In Playa Del Carmen

Has anyone had experience with buying diamond jewelry in Playa del Carmen? I'm wondering if it's legitimate, cheaper, etc.

Diana Nov 30th, 2003 04:25 AM

Just my opinion, but I don't believe I would buy any jewelry of great value in PDC unless they have recently opened any branches of the well-known chains that exist in Cancun or Cozumel.

We have purchased a lot of jewelry in Cozumel and some in Cancun, and have found reputable dealers there (let me know if you need any more names than those below), but the last time we were in PDC in May (we've been quite a few times) I did not see any places I would buy diamonds - but that may have changed by now with all of the development going on there.

I would recommend taking the ferry over to Cozumel and shopping at Diamonds International or Rochat y Romero. Go on a day when there are fewer cruise ships in town, or go first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon/early evening.

We try to buy in places that are dealers of high end jewelry (Tiffany, Rolex, etc.) as they will lose their dealerships if they are problems for tourists.

Also, don't buy Tanzanite unless you know a lot about it, and educate yourself about whatever you are looking to buy before you go as far as prices and quality - especially diamonds.

It's easy to get over there and get excited and pay more than what you would where you live. The jewelry stores all keep bottle of tequila behind the counter, and one store even has a bar right inside so "hubby" can get liquid courage while you shop!

For example, we looked at a ring in Cozumel that started out at $4,500.00, and ended up getting it for less than half, and our jeweler in the States was impressed with the price and quality of the stones.

They will haggle it way down - especially during off season - we had to walk a couple of times and come back. We actually had found a ring at another place and kind of went back and forth between the two - telling them we were doing that - until we felt we had the best deal. With the big dealers, we pull out the high pressure tactics until we are pleased with the deal or we walk. (You'd be amazed at them running out the store front after you yelling "wait!")

(By the way, we do not like to haggle too much with the "little guys" selling silver or T shirts or whatever. We'll do it some if their price is just way too high, but these people are really struggling, and we don't want to beat them up too much :) )

Have fun and I hope you find something nice. They are wonderful and lovely reminders of your vacation and how much someone loves you - even if you are buying something nice for yourself!

med Nov 30th, 2003 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the info. I was in PDC last December and thought I'd been in a Diamonds International there. We are going back at Christmas and are planning a trip over to Cozumel so I'll check it out. Good advice!

Kat6688 Nov 30th, 2003 09:15 AM

med, I am much in agreement with Diana; however, during our shuttle ride from the Bahia Principe to Playa Del Carmen there is a huge diamond jewelry factory that apparently has several international locations. I can't remember the name of it but it's on the main road just south of Playa. I was looking at a diamond/saphire ring priced at $4800 USD. After much discussion, they were ready to agree on $1900 USD. I was not well educated in cut, color or clarity and their gemologist listed the stone in the upper mid class range. We're going back again in February and I intend to be very knowledgeable about diamonds and other precious stones to the point where I can actually look into the scope and see any imperfections, not seen by the naked eye. By the way, from the Bahia to Playa, this stop at the jewelry factory was mandatory - 45 minutes to either look or have a drink. Just be very educated before you consider buying.

med Nov 30th, 2003 04:46 PM

Kat6688 - How will learn so much about gems - do you personally know a jeweler or will anyone show you what to look for? It certainly sounds like a smart thing to do! We stayed at the Royal Hideaway and I didn't see the factory you mentioned.