Search

Buyer's remorse -- MA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer's remorse -- MA

Now that I have paid for our three nights at the Tulemar villas I feel like I am reading trip reports that highlight how much more wonderful places like Bosque El Cabo, Mal Pais and the Central Valley are. Please tell me some wonderful things about MA.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

All of those places are very different .....Bosque del Cabo , more remote , sort of in the last frontier of C.R. The central valley is very beautiful , but u wanted some beach time I think ? And Malpais is supposedly a super place , great for surfing , and a little harder to get to than M.A. Manuel Antonio is more built up than these areas , but ..... it is still very beautiful , get ready for some incredible sunset meals , beautiful beaches ( some , actually lots say the prettiest in the country !! ) And Tulemar is a special place as well !
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:56 AM

Don't do this to yourself! MA is spectacular. Tulemar has incredible views. Once you're there you'll be so happy you chose MA. I had been to various places around the country and for my recent 40th birthday, I decided to go down for a quick weekend and chose MA as the one place I wanted to be.

The wildlife is incredible. You'll probably see different kinds of monkeys, sloths, amazing birds (toucans, etc.) The beaches are so beautiful in MA park -- go EARLY in the morning to beat the crowds and soak up the scenery. Have you seen the movie "Castaway" (Tom Hanks?) That gorgeous beach he's stranded on reminds me of the beaches in MA park. There are wonderful places to eat, from local food to elegant dining. You can sit on your private balcony (or go to a restaurant) and have cliffside drinks overlooking a beautiful view. There are places to relax and listen to live music at night.

Most of all, MA has such a wide variety of activities to experience. Among them, the Rain Maker tour (hanging bridges -- wonderful!), a mangrove boat tour of Damas Island (great!), kayaking, horseback riding to a waterfall, a dolphin-watching sailboat trip with snorkeling, ATV tours, hiking in MA park, etc.

You will not regret your decision!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM

Stop second guessing yourself, you have done a lot of homework and planning.

MA has probably more to offer in a small place than anywhere in CR. More lodging choices, more restaurant choices and more activity choices. You will have breathtaking views, beautiful sunsets, animals, and birds and so much more.

We were in the NW Pacific area and Monteverde in trip #1, MA and Arenal trip #2, we got to Montezuma & Tortuguero in trip #3 and Bosque del Cabo in trip #4, and planning trip 5,6 and more. We always try to spend a couple days in the Central Valley each trip. You have to start somewhere and MA will be a good place to start.

Remind us - where else are you visiting while in CR?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:38 PM

dfarmer, sorry for the intrusion but you mentioned that you always stay in the central valley for a couple of days when you visit CR. I have heard the term "central valley" several times but do not actually know where that is. If it's not spelled out on my trusty map that I have looked at more times than I could begin to count, then I don't know where anything is! Can you tell me what cities/towns are around the perimeter of the central valley (or some of them)? Thanks a bunch!
Misha-Like myself, I'm sure when we get to our destinations there, we won't even think twice about where else we would rather be!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:38 PM

I can help answer that and then dfarmer can correct me.

The Central Valley is an area with no specific boundries.

For example of course San Jose is in the Central Valley, but so is Alajulea ,where the airport is.

Also Heredia (another "suburb" ) is also within the Central Valley.

If you go to :
La Paz Waterfall
Psoas Volcano
Cartago
and then to
Grecia , Sarchi,Zarcero, you can say you are still within the Central Valley.
but if you go to :

Arneal ,
Monterverde, Manuel Antonio, Jaco ( the town and beach),
Puerto Limon
Puerto Vieja, etc ,then you are no longer in the Central Valley.

Of course all places further out,are for sure not in the Central Valley.

I do not think I can give you the name of a town or spot and say that once you are here ,then you have just crossed outside the bounds of the Central Valley.

And you cannot go by the Provinces because the Provinces extend into and out of the Central Valley.

Am I making any sense.. oh heck , dfarmer , you take over from here ,please.!!

Percy
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:19 AM

Good Morning Percy! Certainly no need for me to take over!

The Central Valley is a broad space and probably used sometimes in a broad term.

All the places Percy mentions, plus some.

As I consult my Lonely Planet guide book - it reads "The 'Central Valley' is the popular English name for the region in the center of Costa Rica around San Jose". And then of course continues for many pages decscribing the cities, towns and their attractions.

I guess when I think of the Central Valley, I think of areas that can be reached from an SJ area hotel within an about an hour.

Hope Percy and I have been able to help you indentify the area.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:23 AM

One more thing!! We enjoy spending time in these towns surrounding SJ. I think many travelers sometimes only think of this area as a place to lay their head for a night before they head out to Arenal, Monteverde, the coastal areas, etc. and then for the night before their flight home. But, the Central Valley has many beautiful, interesting, historical places to explore and should not be missed.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Tulemar is beautiful - you will not be disappointed.

By the way, when you visit MA, I recommend you do so with a local tour guide. We would have never spotted most of what he pointed out to us. Sloths are nocturnal, sleep 15-18 hours a day and they curl up and blend into the trees. He pointed out an emerald tree boa in the branch right above my head. He also pointed out a tree with poisonous sap we should be careful to avoid. It was a fascinating tour. Your resort should be able to hook you up.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Good Morning dfarmer

I agree with you ,I also think that any place that you can see within about an hour in any direction from San Jose is a good time line for what is in the "Central Valley.

When I went to Cartago and to Zarcero I still felt I was in the "Central Valley, even the area of Turu Buri( near Neta's place) is labelled as being in the Central Valley.

But once beyond Orotina on the way to Jaco, I just have this feeling that I am no longer in the Central Valley.!!

I also agree that some people fly into San Jose and cannot get to Arenal fast enough!! ,that is okay of course, but you are missing a LOT in the Central Valley.

I made a list of 14 places I wanted to see in San Jose alone,...only when you make a list before hand, will you see them all,...even a private tour guide will not take you to all the places, unless you mention them all to him!

For example:

1. I know people who have gone to Palmar Norte/ Palmar Sur to see the perfectly round stones( which remain a mystery to this day), however, there is a nice one in the park right across the street from LaMerced Church in downtown San Jose.

2.We all visit the Gold Museum and the lovely Teatro Nacional nextdoor and then walk about the Cultural Plaza....

however, several block away is the lovely Music Temple with a very ornate double layered water fountain surrounded by three cherubs on each level.

Want to see some lovely old homes!!? then ask your tour guide/driver to take you to the Amon district( close to down town San Jose.

Take a quick visit also to the Jade Museum...the City view from the 11th floor( where the Jade museum is ) is fantastic.

There are many other places on my list.

Only if you make a list before you go ,and stick to the list, will you many nice places in San Jose...

Because if you just drive through San Jose...then yes, it is a "jungle'

Percy

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM

OK Percy, got me very curious, please, please list other places to go visit in The Central Valley, like you say without a list you never visit these places.

Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Beena,
According to the Insight Guide Book from Discovery Channel Publications, the Central Valley is an area only 24 km by 64 km (15 mi by 40 mi) where two mountain ranges meet. There are rich, volcanic hills and riverfilled valleys, with altitudes reaching up to 1500 meters. (4500 ft.) It is considered the "heartland of CR and home to 60% of the nation' people"! Hope that helps!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Percy,
Yes, actually that did make sense and dfarmer-I just got my Lonely Planet guide to Costa Rica today!! And I can see that it is extremely informative. I only wish I had gotten it 3 mos. ago! and yes, I think you're right about people only thinking that the central vlly. is a place to lay your head for a night before continuing on, I know I did. I'm somewhat interested though because I heard that the central valley has cooler temperatures. I may end up there anyway since my Lost Iguana reservation is all screwed up but I know my kids aren't interested in doing alot of sight-seeing. I really wasn't even thinking of seeing that region (or area) this trip.
Percy, I think you have been to more places in CR, than I have been to in my beautiful, mountaineous hometown region of central California (around Yosemite Natl. Park)! I sounds like you have visited CR many times.
Thanks for the clarifying, all.

Jayneann, that physical description def. makes sense and it's more understandable why it's actually called central VALLEY, which is also why it would be cooler, I guess? Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Well first of all let me say that when I toured the Central Valley, I had a private guide for the full 9-10 days.

I hired the now "famous Oscar" and proceeded to tell people how good he was upon my return home.

I toured many places in the whole Central Valley.... Oscar would pick me up about 7:30 to 8:00Am and we would not return until about 7PM, with Oscar doing all the driving.

I feel that Grecia, Sarchi and Zarcero are within the "Central Valley."

Each one of these towns has something to offer.

In Grecia it is the Red Metal Church.

Besides Grecia is very nice and very clean and most of the home's gardens are ladened with flowers.

I could live in Grecia very easily!!

In Sarchi , see the lovely pastel green colored church and of course the famous painted ox carts.

( I had a tour of the ox cart painting factory, small family run business..Thanks to Oscar taking me here.)

I would say that Sarchi is the Commercial Craft centre of the"Central Valley."

Zarcero:
You really want to see the Topiary in from of the lovely white red roof Church.

But please go inside the Church and see how lovely it is ,with its white arched ceiling and gold leaf patterns.

Then go across the road from the Church and try the "To die for home made Fudge."

This is as far as you want to go down this road, because I personally feel that beyond Zarcero , you are leaving the "Central Valley."

In Alajuela, you really want to see the downtown Central Park and the lovely statue of Juan Santamaria, holding a torch in one hand and flanked by cannons on each side.

( aside note, Jaun Santamaria was born in Alajuela and was killed in 1856 while torching the hideout of William Walker...that is why his statue has him holding that torch!!)

In Heredia( The City), you want to see the Military Fort call ,"El Fortin."
When you see this Fort Tower , ask yourself.....
"Why would anyone put in windows like that in this Fort Tower,"??!!!

They actually help bullets come into the Fort.!! Amazing, Maybe Alfredo Gonzales Flores , the builder was drinking a bit too much at the time!!

The place is almsot right downtown in Heredia.

In the Central Valley also go to Psoas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall... you really want to see all five of these lovely waterfalls.

In San Jose:

Besides those places I have mentioned add these to your list:
Metroplotitan Cathedral.

The Central Park.

Sabana Park....have your guide drive you around in here.

National Museum (cheap admission) it is actually quite nice in here.

San Pedro (in east San Jose) drive into this University area on your way out of San Jose to Cartago.

For very nice home(a must see) have your guide drive you into Barrio Escalante, some nice quaint shops here also.

The Zoo...in San Jose, admission is $5.00,worth that to see the Scarlet Macaw up close and personal...but a better place is....

Zoo Avenue on your way to the airport in the morning of you have an afternoon flight...great way to kill the morning on your last day..

dfamer has ,in previous posting very admirably described Cartago and the Orosi town and Valley area and what to see here.

But you know I came with a list and was well prepared and even Oscar said to me, "Boy you really know Costa Rica well."

I said, "No I don't, just what I read and saw in book but now we are going to actually see all these places."

So I would advise you to make a list, and promise yourself that you will see everything on the list!!

You do not need a list for Arenal or Monteverde because you are in one place and not moving about a lot.

Sorry to ramble on , hope this helps a litle crarmy.

dfarmer I am sure can add other sites in the Central Valley.

And to misha2...,sorry for hi jacking your posting...but fathie gave you a good answer.

Percy

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for making me feel better. I'm excited about MA again!

Percy, no problem. I love learning all I can. I have a half day in the central valley before we head out. Would Oscar be willing to do short tours? How can I contact him?

What is your favorite guidebook? How did you learn so much?
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM

misha2

Yes of course Oscar would be happy to drive you to whereever you want to go, as long as he is not booked.

e-mail him at:

[email protected]

His cell phone is (373-2736).

He "lives" on his cell phone , so you can get a hold of him that way once in Costa Rica.

There is no area code in Costa Rica...so just dial his number.

When you e-mail ( or phone) please tell him Percy says hello.

He know me well, also hello to his two children, Favio and Faviola, now isn't that two nice names !!

Percy

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:55 AM

misha2

I have no favourite guide book.

I search my trips very well.

I visit Costa Rica in section, it is easier that way and you can concentrate on an area more easily.

Then I make a list of all the places I want to see on my trip and I do not waiver from the list.

Then I get a private guide or a guide that does small group tours only.

Vargas Tours in Guanacaste area is a very very good small tour group ,
and
Ricardo Vargas and his guides are very knowledgeable.
Ricardo speak fluent English also.

Plus the internet is very good to see the places you plan to visit and to see pictures of your accomodations.

It is tough work researching for a trip but very rewarding once you get there.

Have good time in Costa Rica.

Percy

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I was just at Tulemar villas and it was a spectacular trip. We loved our villa and the view. The beach was incredible and such a treat since i hear most hotels in MA don't have a private beach. I spent 3 nights at Tulemar and then 5 nights in Mal Pais (Florblanca) and I wished I could have had more time at Tulemar. Mal Pais is very remote and the only thing to do there is to surf or rent an atv so you can explore. The beaches were nice but it rained a lot and theres nothing to do at the beach when it rains.Theres so much to do in MA, enjoy it!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Percy. Too bad there is no better solution than obsessive researching.

kpd6305 -- thank you so much for saying the perfect thing!! I am getting more and more excited about our stay there. One more question- -- I just learned that the villas and the bungalows are owned by different companies. Did that impact your use of the facilities in any way? Was the beach and equipment still free?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:22 AM

Hi Percy Just a quick note to say thanks We booked Oscar to drive us around after reading some of your previous posts We visisted Costa Rica 5 years ago and drove everywhere but after hearing about Oscar we decided to book him We leave in 2 weeks please advise on anything special we could bring him you had mentioned granola bars Also how old are his kids Lastly does he mind stopping frequently at all of these scenic towns as you travel say from Arenal to Manuel Antonio and please advise on how much you usually tip him Thanks Amee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -