Search

Bus Travel Interior Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 1997, 07:47 PM
Lee

Bus Travel Interior Mexico

We want to travel by bus and train through Mexico in Jan./feb. Also train maybe. Probably start out in Mex. City. Any tips/great tales? Want to travel light too. Any tips on that?

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 07:23 AM
Nicole

You will have no problems, the bus system is easy. One word of advise, take the more expensive ones,
ETN, Elite are examples. They are incredibly nice, air conditioned, washrooms, attendents, some have televisons. The cheap ones are not so nice. In '84 I took a $3.00 bus from Puerto Escondido to Oxaca, and to this day I can't describe it. I live in Pto. Vallarta, so I would recommend visiting here, but there are so many beautiful and interesting places that your choice is vast. Although I have never travelled by train here, I don't think it is as nice and comfortable as the busses.

Old Sep 20th, 1997, 06:05 PM
lee

Ta for the reply Nicole, been to PV. also, enjoyed it very much, now time for something different.

Old Sep 27th, 1997, 12:17 PM
Linda Marston-Reid

Hi- I would recommend "expensive" bus over train. The bus system is like a first class airline seat. The train, (while picturesque) is very slow, sometimes very smelly (diesel) and usually late. The first time I traveled from Mexico City to Oaxaca, we booked 2 sleepers; one for my husband and I, and one for our two sons. The fun part of this journey, (which seemed to take forever), was we met a couple from NJ, and have been friends now for 5 years. All of us would be hard pressed to get back on one of those long distance overnight trains.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 03:08 AM
Mim & Ron

I would recommend that you do not travel by train. They are slower than the buses, not reliable and not always safe. We have traveled by "First Class" bus all over Mexico without one bad experience. Our longest trip to date was 1075 miles (one way) and it was a most enjoyable trip. We do not use suitcases but travel with large soft sided (gym bag type) luggage. It is much easier to handle and can usually be kept in the overhead storage.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 12:01 PM
rob

Take the bus, skip the train. Don't take anything but a first class bus unless you have young bones and want an incredible story to tell.

Places:

See Oaxca, Palenque and San Cristobal de las Casas (if its safe). Those places are harder to reach and if your going south from Mexico, are on a route you may not return to for quite some time (the world is a big place!). A log time ago, I enjoyed Puerto Escondido greatly. Avoid Acapulco if you can. Merida and environs are easy to reach with jet travel into at Cancun, so if time is an issue the inland stuff is worth the time. The Carribean coast is spectacular if you love the sea. Snorkeling and diving off Cozumel is wonderful. Isla Mujeres used to be a sleepy little island fifteen years ago, but its proximity to Cancun could have changed that. And just because its big, crowded and dirty, don't miss a chance to see a little of Mexico DF.