Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-shopping-251722/)

carrie Aug 21st, 2002 09:38 AM

Buenos Aires shopping

I am an avid shopper and I guess that shops are closed in Buenos Aires on Sundays. If so, where is it worth it to spend a Sunday in Buenos Aires? Thanks.

maria Aug 21st, 2002 11:37 AM

No mall would even consider closing on Sundays in Buenos Aires. The best places for shopping are Alto Palermo (inexpensive) and Patio Bullrich (more tourist oriented, great stuff but more expensive). <BR><BR>There are several options for Sundays: Recoleta has parks with open air attractions and free shows, artists and tango dancers, and a craft fair held every Sunday. This is the place to lie down in the sun and watch people. Here you can also visit the cemetery and Evita?s tomb.<BR><BR>Another must-see: the Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo has an antiques fair and a flea market, where you can see the Tango danced in the streets.<BR><BR>I would also suggest Colonia in Uruguay as a day trip.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!

info Aug 22nd, 2002 05:49 AM

Three great ways to spend a Sunday in Buenos Aires:<BR><BR>- Tigre huge craft market, with a boat trip in the Parana River Delta, and return with the Coastal Train.<BR><BR>- San Antonio de Areco: the real gaucho thing.<BR><BR>- Caminito in La boca.<BR><BR>www.apartmentsbuenosaires.com

monica Aug 22nd, 2002 12:08 PM

I found lots of outlets in Buenos Aires, where you can find things that are ridiculously cheap. I had not seen any of those in my previous trips.<BR><BR>Make sure you bring a huge suitcase with you, or, even better, buy a couple there.

jessica Aug 23rd, 2002 05:17 AM

I read that antiques are a bargain. Does anyone know what kind of antiques are good buys and where are they sold?<BR><BR>Thanks for your tips.<BR><BR>

info Aug 23rd, 2002 10:44 AM

Jessica,<BR>The best antiques shops are located in San Telmo, most of them on Defensa street. <BR>Though auction houses like Christie's and Sotheby's have local offices, for bargains you should consider smaller local auctioneers in Recoleta: Rold&aacute;n & C&iacute;a (Rodr&iacute;guez Pe&ntilde;a y Vicente L&oacute;pez), and the warehouse Breuer Moreno (one block away from Patio Bullrich.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

xx Aug 27th, 2002 08:38 AM

I was wondering what kind of street markets I can find in BA. I know about antiques, but I am also interested in local stuff. Are there markets for these things? I will be there in October and we're staying in Recoleta. Thanks.

Roberto Lusiardo Aug 27th, 2002 08:28 PM

I just came from Buenos Aires and bought some interesting things at a little store in San Telmo. It was really unique since it is a store dedicatedn to the indian art. It is in 1066 Defensa street.<BR>Have fun in BA

Ina Steinmeier Aug 27th, 2002 08:32 PM

If you want to stay in Recoleta you should try to stay at some of the furnished apartments. They are convenient in terms of price and very well located

info Aug 28th, 2002 09:45 AM

xx,<BR><BR>If you are interested in the real hand made thing, and care for the history of each craft, go to San Telmo. You will also find interesting stuff in Florida street downtown.<BR><BR>www.apartmentsbuenosaires.com

info Sep 24th, 2002 11:22 AM

to the top

steve Sep 24th, 2002 03:30 PM

We returned from 6 day vacation in BA. Great shopping at Gallerias Pacifica on avenida Florida and the Bullrich center. Also suggest the day trip to Colonia but be at the terminal early. Suggest 1 hour early. The street fair in San Telmo is great on a Sunday but be careful of pickpockets. We were targets. We have traveled a lot and are always aware. But we fell for the trick anyway. Fortunately they got nothing and we learned another valuable lesson

info Oct 9th, 2002 05:25 AM

topping for nyc

John Oct 15th, 2002 07:39 AM

Another place no one has mentioned is Abasto Mall, located west of the Once district. <BR><BR>I went there last year, primarily to trace my Argentine Jewish heritage (Once is the predominately Jewish part of BA somewhat west of the Obelisk) and we found this very modern mall. It's fun, but be prepared to be inundated with street vendors.

MN Jan 12th, 2003 08:18 PM

Someone posted in a previous message that there where oulet stores in BA. What type of outlets and where are they located? I am headed that way at the end of Feb and I am seeking shopping info. Thanks!

Matt Jan 13th, 2003 01:17 AM

There are several outlets in the city and also in its suburbs. They are open everyday so no need to worry about Sundays. Most of them are clothing outlets and there is also an original paintings outlet.<BR>Nevertheless, don´t be too excited about them. Prices are not that different from ordinary shops. One piece of advice: the Recoleta area is the most expensive and you can the same goods at other shops for a lower price. Be careful with taxi drivers who work on commission with some shops.