Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires in March (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-in-march-762289/)

PhyllisNY Jan 19th, 2009 11:58 AM

Buenos Aires in March

My sister and I will be in Buenos Aires in early March for about 10 days. Would like to know what points of interest we should not miss. We would also love to tour some wineries. What do we need to plan to go to some of these wineries? I believe most of the wineries are located outside of BA. If we allocate 2 days - is that enough? How long of a journey are the vineyards from BA?

Thanks!

Scarlett Jan 19th, 2009 01:11 PM

Hi
What made you decide you wanted to visit Buenos Aires?
Do you have some good guide books and maps?
I am not sure but you might have to fly to wine country.
I don't know if 2 days would be sufficient.
Wine country here isn't really like California or even NY State, you might be happier just buying some good wine and bringing it home.
I would recommend Terroir for excellent wine shopping.
http://www.terroir.com.ar/e_home_main.htm

I recommend Rough Guides Buenos Aires also.

drdawggy Jan 19th, 2009 01:28 PM

There are several wine regions in Argentina--the Mendoza area, Patagonia, and Salta in the Northwest.

Mendoza itself is divided into several more specific zones....

Mendoza is a 14 hour bus ride from BA. I agree with Scarlett...find a good wine shop in Buenos Aires and set up a tasting.

PhyllisNY Jan 21st, 2009 09:32 AM

For a while now I have been wanting to travel to Buenos Aires, maybe it was something in a past life of mine? I'm very excited. I've been taking some tango lessons and plan to take more lessons once we get there. I'd like to learn the "Argentinian" tango. Any advise for which tango hall would be best?

I have no guides or books, per se. But I have been doing tons of reasearch online with various websites. I plan to buy an official guide book this weekend and do further research.

Thanks for the advise on buying wine at Terrior - we'll be sure to check it out.

If there is a BA trip in my future after this one - would you recommend doing the wine country at all or just buy the wines in BA and have my own "tasting"?

Thank you!!!

Rastaguytoday Jan 25th, 2009 01:46 PM

Check out Drdawggy's My 25th Trip to BA: Recommendations link.

I think he knows more about BsAs and anyone, except a porteno such as Avrooster.

Mendoza is about 1 1/2 hours by plane from BsAs. The cost (currently) is about $175 ttc each way.

A thought might be 7 days in BsAs and 3 in the Mendoza area. I've scheduled my flight home to be from MDZ through SCL to the US.

avrooster Jan 25th, 2009 02:12 PM

I hereby move that Rastaguytoday, who, I believe, has never been to Argentina, be named by acclamation "destination expert" for BA in this forum!

Just kidding! LOL!!

Scarlett Jan 25th, 2009 03:01 PM

Phyllis,
I guess Tango Hall would be a Milonga.
Where people go to dance. Not a show.
You can take private lessons or you can go to a Milonga and before the dancers arrive, you can take a lesson. But you really have to know what you are doing before you get on the floor with everyone. Really..
Confiteria Ideal is a great place to see Tango, take lessons and maybe dance, but early in the evening when there are not many people there.
The dancers are very territorial and want to keep the tables and chairs for dancers not watchers so small places like El Beso are really not recommended.

We live in Buenos Aires and I still use my sons Rough Guides. It is better than a few others and reliable.
Also get a good map. You will be telling your taxi driver the cross-streets when you tell him where you want to go..or the address but cross streets works best.
The owner of Terrior speaks English and is a charmer , the place is beautiful...

You might enjoy small day trips rather than leaving the city altogether..
Colonia by ferry
or Iguazu Falls by plane..
This place is so huge, it takes forever to get anywhere.. planes are the best way to travel.

Do you know where you are staying yet?

Hope this helps :)

Rastaguytoday Jan 30th, 2009 04:33 PM

A.V. Rooster,

My 'unfortunate' problem is that I'm terribly anal about research before I visit any destination.

I have travel books on 8-10 countries I've never visited, but might.

As you probably know, I've read virtually all postings on this forum more than once, and have even contacted certain portenos directly.

Remember, when in Rome, do as the Romanians do.