Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires Clothing (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-clothing-436372/)

caracv Sep 18th, 2008 08:29 PM

Buenos Aires Clothing

Hi!
It is early spring now in Argentina. Are people still wearing their darker winter clothes (navy, black, brown, gray) or are people wearing bright colors, pastels, whites, and more spring-colored clothes please?
Thanks!

Bea01 Sep 19th, 2008 03:08 AM

We are still wearing our winter clothes (yes, all black and grey, very boring), since itīs still cold here, it seems the spring will last a few more weeks to arrive. But the shop windows are full with pink and green and yellow shoes and clothes, no pastels this year but very bright colors.

alldaytravel Sep 19th, 2008 03:30 AM

I had the same question - thanks for the reply!

Also, when you say it's "cold" in Argentina, does that mean mid-high 60's??

Is a sweater good enough for this time of year, or would you still need a jacket? Is it too cold to wear short sleeves?

Thanks!

caracv Sep 19th, 2008 08:54 PM

great question on the jacket, and thank you for the reply!

courtneycwo Sep 21st, 2008 12:33 PM

Hello! I am so happy to see this thread. I am leaving on 11/1 to travel to Santiago / BA to visit my brother and his wife. I will be traveling with a girlfriend - we are both from the Seattle area (where fall has fallen) and we are just starting to think about what to pack. Any reference to temps / appropriate clothing for this trip are most welcome ;)

beccapax Sep 23rd, 2008 05:01 AM

Hey everyone!

The weather in BA changes day to day and it can be hot and steamy one day and cold then next...and by cold I mean COLDDDD! but after september the cold goes away. I always suggest that people come with a little bit of everything in terms of clothes and dress like an onion. I found this link to a cool site that has some info on the weather - jjust keep in mind that like everywhere else on the planet right now, the climate is changing so be prepared for any circumstance! http://www.buenosairesstay.com/basta...te=weather.htm
Luckily BA has great shopping so if you lack a light weight sweater or flip flops you won't have a major problem.

caracv Sep 23rd, 2008 10:25 PM

great information! I am really wondering more about colors...bright colors for spring, darker blacks, browns, navy for winter still? thanks!

rowlesjr Sep 24th, 2008 04:42 AM

Dress like an onion!!!

LosAngeles90004 Sep 25th, 2008 07:33 PM

Great topic!!

I will be in BA and Santiago all of November and had been wondering about the same sort of issues (darks vs. brights, sweaters vs. t-shirts, etc.). So I appreciate the fashion advice posted above (I don't know about yellow shoes, though)

A related topic: an Argentine friend told me that BA is a dressy city and that we will need to dress up a little more than we do in Los Angeles. I wonder if that means all high heels and dresses or if nice jeans and flipflops are OK....

CarolJean Sep 27th, 2008 12:23 PM

I can't imagine that you could think that jeans and flip flops would be ok for a dressy city (and you are going to be there a month.) Of course, I guess you could shop once you are there. Have a great trip! CJ

november_moon Sep 29th, 2008 08:16 PM

Hi - I am new to the Latin American forum, contemplating a trip to Argentina next year. However, as a fellow Californian, I feel the need to come to LosAngeles's defense :) In many areas of California, "dressed up" means long pants and shoes - any pants as long as they don't have holes, any shoes. We are just a little different here and sometimes need a reality check :)

dockruins Sep 30th, 2008 10:31 AM

In November, Santiago has warm/sunny days and cool nights/mornings. You'll need a jacket for the night and morning cause it is quite cool, but it warms up nicely during the day.

BA might be a bit warmer overall for the day, doesn't get as cool at night, but still, have a jacket or sweatshirt available, but during the day its warm enough for more summer-type clothes.

I can't comments on fashion. For me, if I am comfortable, then thats enough.

Last year in Santiago, we had only one day with rain during Novemeber, so the weather is generally good.

margeux Nov 13th, 2008 04:33 AM

Me and my girlfriend will be in Buenoa Aires in mid December, what clothes will the locals be wearing.

Scarlett Nov 13th, 2008 10:17 AM

Hi,
the temperatures in Buenos Aires have been in the 80s and low 90s for a few weeks now. Some days are pretty humid, some , like today, are bright and sunny and dry, thought still quite warm.
The evenings do cool off nicely and there is usually a breeze.

Everyone is wearing summer clothes. Light cotton, ladies mostly wear skirts and some light trousers, not really seeing many flip flops on the locals but mostly sandals. Espadrilles are popular .. Men wear light cotton shirts with collars with sleeves rolled up.. old / young, this is the look.. with jeans or trousers.

A lot of pale colors and white is being seen as well as bright colors.. that Pucci kind of print in tops and the trendy things that you will see in magazines for summer clothes.

Go to Weather Underground, put in Buenos Aires and you will get an idea of temps over the month..

Simbax Nov 18th, 2008 05:45 PM

My post is specifically directed at Scarlett, because I really enjoy reading about you and you life in BA, and you inspired me to visit BA.

Hubby and I are visiting BA in 5 days!! I think we have everything arranged. We'll stay in Palermo with BA Habitat and I've made many notes from all the great tips on this Forum. Thanks too all of you!!!

My biggest concern, yes, shoes!! Every year we visit another great city and last year in Stockholm my feet killed me after walking all day and night!

I want to blend in, but I also want to feel comfortable walking for hours on end.

For evening wear I plan on buying some nice shoes right in BA. But can anyone sugges a great walking shoe? A god quality but stylish shoe? I'm even willing to wait till I get to BA and then buy a fashionable walking sandal! The only shoes I refuse to wear are sneakers or any American look! Thanks!

avrooster Nov 19th, 2008 12:10 AM

I'm obviously not Scarlett, just an early bird.

My advice is to bring your most comfortable walking shoes, so as to make sure your feet are in good shape for the evening.

Have a great time in our town.

Scarlett Nov 19th, 2008 03:10 AM

Hi and thank you!

The early bird is right, you should bring a shoe that is comfortable and that you have already broken in.. don't think about fashion, just keep your feet happy because you know they will complain and interfere with your good times!

When we arrived here , I had a pair of Steve Madden ballet flats, I wore them to death. They worked with everything, skirts and trousers.
So that is what I wore, now I wear a similar shoe or flat sandals.. I don't even own sneakers or that sort of shoe so no help from me there :)

They wear some funny looking comfortable shoes here that have a "toe" in them.. I see them everywhere.. mostly though, sandals are the casual shoes.
Look at Merrell... or , HushPuppies.. here that is a good imported shoe, you can find them to be extremely comfortable and good for your feet.. and they look good too .

The weather calmed down a little, it was just a hot spell but now it is back to cool nights and warm days but not too hot.
Bring lots of SunBlock!!

kmkrnn Nov 19th, 2008 07:01 AM

For shoes look at Teva...they have a dressier line called Ventura cork...About $75. come in sude and many colors. For years I have used them to travel in Europe, ans SE asia. The black ones are great for day and can go into the night. They are a good walking shoe and stand up to getting wet and still look good when dried out.

Rastaguytoday Nov 19th, 2008 07:25 AM

My wife has discovered, through her doctor, SAS shoes.

It turns out that these shoes are the shoes of choice for nurses in the U.S., mainly because they are so comfortable for someone on their feet all day long.

SusanInToronto Nov 19th, 2008 08:08 AM

For me, the trick with shoes is to bring at least 2 pairs. When we were in Paris 2 years ago, I brought a pair of Mephistos (looked like maryjanes) and another pair of shoes that I thought were comfortable. Well, they weren't, and the Mephistos, which are really comfortable, didn't feel so good when I had to wear them day in and day out.