Buenos Aires City Map

Mar 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Buenos Aires City Map

Would like to have a good map of the city for our trip. Should I buy one in Boston? If so, any suggestions? Or am I better of buying one in BsAs. I don't read/speak spanish! Thanks.
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM

We bought ours at Powells Books in Portland Oregon. It is starting to fall apart, I use it so much.
It is made by International Travel Maps.. 530 West Broadway, Vancouver BC
Mar 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM

Scarlett, thanks for the tip. I can easily walk by International Travel Maps, and I've seen that store many times. Do you think it's worth buying a map like that versus using what is in a typical guidebook or what the hotel offers?
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM

I bought my BsAs map online for about $6-7 delivered.

A good Barnes & Noble or Borders will have maps. A traveling companion got a good solid one at Barnes & Noble for about $6.
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM

I bought one before I left, but it wasn't a very good one. I didn't use it when I got there.

I then asked, at the apartment building where I rented, if they could find me a map. They gave me one of the kinds that hotels hand out and it was very good. Happy Travels!
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM

You can get loads of free maps when you get here.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 08:38 AM

The map that was bought at Barnes & Noble was reinforced, almost like a light lamination.

It's a much better map than the one I purchased online.

It's nice to know where you're going before you get there. I've done a lot of city planning based on the map and my location in BsAs.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Rastaguytoday, I'm with you. I have been using a map from a book from my library to choose my apartment and check out where everything is. I feel like I already know the city from looking at the map so much. So I may get to B&N, but if not will get one my first day there.
Mar 4th, 2009, 03:32 AM

I like laminated maps because they don't fall apart so quickly.
My favorite maps are the Streetwise .. I have them for London and Paris and Montreal.. they are the perfect size, have everything you need on them and are easy to use.

But for huge cities like Buenos Aires, they don't have Streetwise maps and it was really difficult to find one that was manageable and easy to read.
We bought it after visiting BA .. that time we just used the map the ArtSuites hotel concierge gave us. But we bought the big one at Powells when we got home and decided to move here.

For just being a tourist, the hotel map is probably good enough. Then if you do what we did and fall so in love with Buenos Aires that you have to live here, then buy the big map