Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires - Can I Fill An Entire Week? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-can-i-fill-an-entire-week-594286/)

sweet_polly Feb 25th, 2006 05:30 PM

Buenos Aires - Can I Fill An Entire Week?

We have a week planned in the city. Is there enough to see/do to fill an entire week? What are good excursions/day trips to consider (we are wine- and food-ophiles)? What is not to be missed? Also...what's the closest nice beach? Thanks.

groro Feb 25th, 2006 07:56 PM

The nearest beaches are Punta del Este, Uruguay or Mar del Plata, AR, both a long way from BA. Forget BA if you are looking for a beach. BA is on the estuary of the Rio de la Plata and there are some parks on the river. Take an excursion on the Busquebus to Colonia, a very laid back town in Uruguay. Florida St., San Martin, Puerto Madero, and Centro are worthwhile. Except for the cemetary, we found Recoleta to be very disappointing. Palermo Viejo had interesting architecture, but did not live up to the hype, or maybe we didn't find the right spot, although we walked forever. BA is a huge city that is not that interesting if you are not into Tango, but you can certainly amuse yourself for a week.

lauralamb Feb 26th, 2006 08:57 AM

I visited Buenos Aires for 10 days and did not manage to see all of it. Do take a trip to Colonia de Sacramento and Tigre if you have time. However, it's a brilliant city just for walking around - make sure you visit all the 'barrios' in the central area, they are all very different. Buenos Aires has great shopping, cool nightlife and wonderfully friendly people. I hope to return one day. I'm sure you'll find that a week there, especially with if you take the day trips out of the city I mentioned, is just not enough!

Giovanna Feb 26th, 2006 09:42 AM

Buenos Aires is a beautiful, cosmopolitan city. We too left after a week without seeing all we intended. We spent two nights in Puerto Iguazu and visited the falls. IMHO not to be missed. We went to Tigre and Colonia and enjoyed both.

I have quite a long file which I compiled when planning our trip last November. If you would like it, please e-mail me at [email protected]

Graziella5b Feb 27th, 2006 11:34 AM

Buenos Aires is a cosmopolitan city, not a tiny city, I believe there are over 8 or 9 million people in Buenos Aires. There is enough things to do for many days.
A week of course is not enough but it is ok.

drdawggy Feb 27th, 2006 01:57 PM

There is more than enough to do and see for self professed food and wine o philes....Argentine, Italian and Spanish cuisine dominates in the area, with good Sushi restaurants making inroads.....

Wines...especially Malbecs and other reds dominate....There are some drinkable whites, but Malbec and cortes rule.....You may have noticed that four Argentine wines were ranked in the top 100 this year by Wine Spectator.

a good source: guiaoleo.com.ar for rankings of restaurants by locals.

When not eating and drinking, enjoy the outdoor parks, a day trip to Colonia, museums, weekend markets, tango shows and dance lessons, provide nice diversions.

saltshaker Feb 28th, 2006 03:06 PM

You could spend months here and not see and do all the things there are to do and see, easily. Tons of stuff to do, and even if you don't like tango. There are world class art museums, historical museums, monuments, historical buildings, parks, zoos, nearby amusement parks and the delta with its river trips, food and drink, you name it. And, of course, there is indeed tango, which could easily keep you going for a week or more.

sweet_polly Feb 28th, 2006 04:25 PM

Thanks so much, everyone! The thread will be printed and tucked into my trip file. I'm really getting psyched for my first trip south of the equator, now. :)

cmcfong May 12th, 2006 12:34 PM

ttt for momjay

sweet_polly May 13th, 2006 05:09 PM

I'm not going for several more weeks...would love more suggestions (especially some restaurant recommendations). We love almost EVERYTHING if it's done well...especially if it's creative. We're adventurous eaters.

saltshaker...fabu website! Love your restaurant reviews, and we will definitely be trying some of your recommendations.

saltshaker May 13th, 2006 07:41 PM

Thanks! I'll keep posting more... if I can get out of the kitchen...