Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires: brief trip report (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-brief-trip-report-483806/)

libanio Nov 2nd, 2004 03:59 AM

Buenos Aires: brief trip report

Two weeks ago we stayed a week in Bs.As.
Hotel -
Park Chateau Kempinskei Hotel - good location, near the Recoleta Cemitery and cafes and restaurants around; near La Recova de Posadas restaurants and not far from downtown (Microcentro).
The rooms are good, a bit noisy. The buffet breakfast reasonable but with a lack of good service. One assumed that the management is not good.
Restaurants:
In La Recova de Posadas area we had a meal three times, at "Piegari", "Plaza Mayor" and "Sorrento". All very good meals and very reasonable priced.
In Recoleta, "La Strada" a very commercial chain of Italian restaurants.
In Palermo SoHo, "Cabernet" in an old house, beautifully refurbished. Good food, wonderful ambiance.
Cafes and confiterias:
Cafe Tortoni, the most beautiful of Bs. As. cafes and confiterias.
Confiteria Richmond, at Florida St., with the same decor of many years ago, when I lived during two months at the city. By the way, my hotel - Hotel Richmond that no longer exists - was above the Confiteria Richmond
Tango show
At Senor Tango. We like it. Very impressive but lacking a personal touch.
Wines
I visited the "Tonel Privado", "Winery" and "El Fenix". The first is the best place to buy good wines at reasonable prices. A chain of many stores around the city.

Apartmentsba Nov 2nd, 2004 05:01 PM

You had a good vacation and hit some great places. I agree with your assessment on Senior Tango. Another good tip about Senor Tango is to skip the meal option and just go to dinner somewhere else and come for the show. The food there isn't that good. Too many other great places to eat in BA. I went to dinner then hit it and glad I did. Everyone at our table was complaining about the food. Good luck.

christophe Nov 3rd, 2004 12:40 AM

I concur with the previous post re Senor Tango. The show was great but the food was very disappointing. Also, we were told that drinks were unlimited - not so!

maletas Nov 3rd, 2004 04:36 AM

Could you elaborate on the Chateau Kempinski, please? A lot of people inquire about this hotel and it would be useful to have more detail.
Im glad that you had a great time in VA. ITs a wonderful city!

libanio Nov 3rd, 2004 03:26 PM

The Park Chateau Kempinski Hotel (calle Talcahuano, in the beginning of Recoleta) is one of the four Kempinski hotels in Bs.As.. The location is very good. One can easily goes by foot to Recoleta cemitery region; Patio Bullrich shopping; La Recova de Posada with its very good restaurants and even downtown crossing the 9 de Julio Avenue.
The building is old, but the rooms and bathrooms are refurbished. My room had a Jacuzzi. It has two parts one in front of the street is more noisy. The other is backyard. The room service (room maid) is good. The breakfast is very good but the service is awful.
During my stay I tried to contact the manager, but it was impossible.
It's incredible that such hotel chain like Kempinksi lets put its name in a hotel with such bad management !!
I think that Hotel Park Plaza Kempinski hotel is the best of them.

maletas Nov 4th, 2004 02:45 AM

Thank you, Libanio. I nearly stayed there last year but because it had so many mixed reviews, I decided not to. Your detailed review will help others.
I stayed at the Cristoforo in Palermo Viejo. It was pretty dated and judging from the tastes of posters on this board it might get mixed reviews as well. Some would think that it was roughing it. I would look for something nicer. The furniture was dated and a bit worn but the rooms were very clean and the staff was nice. We paid $265. for 6 nights which was about 800. pesos.
We had a junior suite. I loved the area and we have friends in the neighborhood so it was convenient.

libanio Nov 4th, 2004 02:27 PM

I'm happy to be helpful to you.
Our group paid, on a promotional rate, about 70 US dolars or 210 pesos for a double room.
I'm at your disposal for further informations.
Have a good stay in Buenos Aires.

libanio Nov 4th, 2004 02:34 PM

Reviewing the posts I must say that our dinner at Senor Tango was very good. There was a choice between meat (parrilla), chicken and fish. In our table, the three were chosen and each one liked his food.
In the program it was mentioned a drink. But we had wine (white or red) from UXMAL. They were good wines, nothing exceptional. We were served with great largesse. At the end of our meal the waiter continued serving the wines.

libanio Nov 6th, 2004 12:52 PM