Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Buenos Aires advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-advice-200023/)

darra Jan 5th, 2004 02:13 PM

Buenos Aires advice

Hello,

I'm travelling to Buenos Aires in a few weeks. I'll be there for just four days, and I'm staying at the Sheraton Buenos Aires.

Any advice/reviews on the hotel and things that are a must to do/see in the area?

I would really love to get to a beach. Any recommendations?

ThinGorjus Jan 5th, 2004 04:33 PM

You should contact Cintia at [email protected] and ask for her advice. She is a tour guide/travel agent in Buenos Aires. She could hook you up with getting to a beach. I have used Cintia as a guide and highly recommend her. I have travelled all over the world, from Sri Lanka to China to Greece to Nepal. Cintia is very good.

The Sheraton is located near Plaza San Martin in a nice, although commercial, neighborhood. It is a very pleasant (though long if you aren't a walker) stroll up Avenida del Libertador to Recoleta. You are along the river, so you should have a nice view from your room. I didn't stay at the Sheraton, but stayed at the Hotel Lancaster just down the road a bit, and walked past the Sheraton many times. Taking a taxi from your hotel to Recoleta should just cost $2 US. Have lunch out in the sun at Cafe de la Paix across from Recoleta Cemetery on Sunday. It is great for people watching. Ciao, John G.

Lfscm Jan 6th, 2004 03:51 PM

Hi darra, I agree with ThinGorjus, Wow Argentina ( Cintia) made our trip to Argentina, Chile and Uruguay a delightful experience. This company is hones and professional an for a very reasonable fee helped us a lot. I highly recommend WOW.

darra Jan 7th, 2004 10:19 AM

Thanks very much! I'm going to post a few other questions. Any addiitonal help would be appreciated.

Nino Jan 7th, 2004 10:50 AM

Darra, the Sheraton is a nice hotel and well located. I always stay there when I'm in Buenos Aires (I'm Brazilian). You'll be close to the harbour that is plenty of nice restaurants and clubs. Just to inform you there's 2 Sheratons in Buenos Aires, one is called Sheraton Libertador and the other Sheraton Buenos Aires. Both are good but I prefer the Sheraton Buenos Aires for the location.

darra Jan 7th, 2004 10:55 AM

Thank you again. I am staying at the Sheraton Buenos Aires, so that is good news! I would like to do some shopping. Any recommendations close to the hotel?

Nino Jan 7th, 2004 11:04 AM

Go to the Florida street or to the Recoleta neighborhood. If you're a shopping mall person go to the Patio Bullrich, very nice.

drdawggy Jan 7th, 2004 11:05 AM

Shopping close to your hotel. The Sheraton is on the edge of the downtown area, where you have two choices: Galerias Pacifica is a large indoor shopping mall....and Ave. Florida is a pedestrian mall lined with shops. Florida begins at Plaza San Martin and extends for blocks.....

Patio bullrich, a very upscale mall, is about a three peso cab ride from your hotel.

ThinGorjus Jan 7th, 2004 11:20 AM

Patio Bullrich is on the same Avenida as your hotel, past Plaza San Martin. You could walk (if you like to walk, about 20 minutes) or take a taxi. Patio Bullrich is called a shopping "museum" because it is so expensive people just look at the merchandise. There is a very nice coffee salon at the front of mall and a food court at the back.

Much closer to your hotel is Av. Florida and Gallerias Pacifico. The nicer stores are at the end of Florida closest to San Martin. Gallerias Pacifico has more reasonable prices than Bullrich. There is a nice food court in the basement of this mall. Some people find the lower end of Florida to be seedy, but I thought it was fun, especially watching the tango dancers who perform here.

There is a nice mall in Recoleta that is behind the cemetery. This mall contains Hard Rock Cafe and some nice restaurants. You can take the escalator downstairs to a posh "home store" that is like Williams-Sonoma. On Saturday and Sunday, the area next to Recoleta Cemetery becomes a "hippie fair" with many stalls selling jewelry and crafts.

If you want the designers, head to Avenida Alvear. This is where you will find Hermes, Cappucci, Louis Vuitton, Ralph Lauren, etc. You will also find nice shoe stores on Quintana, the next street over.

Happy shopping.