Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   buenos aires (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/buenos-aires-429832/)

offpitney May 9th, 2004 02:50 PM

buenos aires

I am a 50 year old woman traveling alone. Where can i go in the city? Tell me about the shopping. Are side trips a good idea? I will be there for 6 nights.

argentina May 12th, 2004 05:12 PM

every now and then i take tourists out for the sake of visiting the city and sharing cultures. what about getting together and plan the activities for your short stay. i am 50 too and though i work every weekday i can help you at hte weekends or in the mornings.
I would love to!!!!

Graziella5b May 15th, 2004 08:59 AM

Hi Offpitney, I have posted often regarding Buenos AIRES because I visit often having a daughter that lives in Montevideo and another In Buenos Aires. Right now I am in Montevideo and go often to Buenos AIres, I plan to be here till early July So if you are coming during that period let me know. Please ask any specific question. As many other fodorites in this forum I have often recommended wow argentina(Cintia) for personalized tours and help in the city. For those of us living in Europe or the US their rates are a bargain and they offer a wonderful insight of the city.
Although I know Buenos Aires fairly well I have often enjoyed their services in the past.

Pottle May 15th, 2004 07:52 PM

I've read many positive post about Cintia, but my recent inquires to multiple sites have been unanswered? I'm going to be visiting BA (the first time) for four days (interupted)in January, and would like advice/assistance with hotel and domestic air.

Graziella5b May 16th, 2004 09:53 AM

Hi, When staying in town we tried lately two hotels the Design Suites and the Argenta Towers. We liked much more the later one.
It is a very pleasant four stars that I can highly recommend.
I have heard that there are several other hotels that are also in the same range and very nice. In my experience it is better to book through a travel agency, any reputable one, to obtain better rates than the rack rates.We paid aprox 70-80 dollars for a double with taxes and buffet breakfast.-
The other day I had lunch in a lovely , very good restaurant that I enjoyed a lot, it is called Sirop,food -nouvelle cuisine- was excellent, ambiance and service also very good. It is located
in a small alley perpendicular to Vicente Lopez street at 1661 of said street.
Lunch for two consisting of two main courses, two bottles of mineral water, one shared dessert, two expressos was less than 20 dollars.Reservations required.
Good luck.

Pottle May 19th, 2004 05:41 PM

Graziella,
Many thanks! Argenta Towers sounds inviting. Is there a significant difference in the Junior Suite and the next higher priced one; my wife and I will be traveling and (I hope) with only a reasonable amount of luggage. Do you know how it compares with Loisuites and/or Park Plaza Kipenski (I may be mispelling Kip..)? And, MOST IMPORTANT, a sincere thanks for your advice.

Graziella5b May 25th, 2004 12:57 PM

Hi, it is me again, this week we stayed in a new hotel, recommended also by Cintia, this is the Bel Air hotel, we stayed ina junior sutie and it was very, very nice and not expensive at all.
It turned out to be a property of aprox 70 rooms, the junior suite had high celings like 15 feet high, the decoration was very NEET
, high quality design , wooden floors, the sheets were of the highest quality, breakfast too, and excellent service. So in the future we are going to use both this hotel and the Argenta.
The other hotel we tried once in Bs As was the Design Suites hotel and we found the maintenance and service and thin walls not as good as the other two.
www.hotelbelair.com.ar.