Bueno Aires on Sunday

May 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Bueno Aires on Sunday

I am travelling to South america at the end of June with my husband, son and his fiancee. We arrive in B/A on Sunday afternoon from New Zealand and would appreciate any suggestions for how to finish the day after our flight. Don't want to waste a minute. We will be in B/A for 3 days. any assistance would be appreciated.
May 28th, 2004, 04:42 AM

As you are arriving on Sunday afternoon
it will be a bit late to start a tour around the city or to go to San Telmo.Sunday is the best day of the week for the area. The activity begins at 11 am and finishes there at 7/8 pm though there are people around later having dinner It is not a safe area if you are alone when it is dark, except that you are accompanied. I volunteer.

Things you can do in 4 days time:

- City tour to have a panoramic idea of the city. Make if it is possible a longer stop in La Boca o San Telmo to lunch. Dinner in the newest district Puerto Madero.
- staying in a ranch the whole day.(riding horses-folk music-huge lunch)
- day in Colonia for the ones who adore
historical places.Crossing the river in a ferry takes you around an hour.(9am till 6 pm)
- Museums (Fine Arts-Decorative Art) and not far the famous Recoleta Cemetery where you can finish the day in a nice restaurant in the same area.
- Day in the Delta visiting the northern area together, having lunch on a island, adventure activities and a romantic dinner on a boat.

This is just an idea and i have fallen short.
hope you have a good stay.
regards.
May 30th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Argentina.

I had thought we would be arriving too late in the day to organise something but had thought we could head to a cafe in Recoletta area, grap a coffee and people watch for a couple of hourse. We have arranged a city tour and tango show (as most tourists do) and ofcourse I want a day shopping.

What are your thoughts about the cafe thing and people watching.

Thankyou
May 30th, 2004, 02:32 PM

In the Recoleta area Cafe La Biela is a classic, lot of people watching. Good luck.
May 30th, 2004, 05:18 PM

yes, the idea is good, Recoleta area is safe and full of people on a Sunday.
More than a coffee you can have dinner there, you wont forget the steaks you can eat in any of the restaurants there
cant remember the name of one that has tables outside.just in front of Recoleta. but all of them are good. you cant miss this!!!!!
another thing is to go to the tango show that same night after resting a bit in the hotel. they generally begin at 9 pm and sometimes later.what do you think?
May 30th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou for the name of the cafe and the dinner suggestion. We are doing the Tango thing the next night.

Definitely wanting to purchase a leather jacket - I am aware of the quality of leather in Argentina, do we shop here for this or wait to we get to Brazil. We are stopping here and Iguassu on transit to Brazil for 4 weeks.
I don't want to come away without the jacket and my husband is not a shopper.

Thanks for the help
May 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM

certainly leather jackets are good. so are prices but of course you have to go to places where they are lower. Certainly not the ones on Florida St. which are quoted for tourists. However it is good to browse the first days to see how the prices are. but then go sw else. There is an area which specializes on Jackets and it is not far. I can go with you if you dont mind.it shows i am a woman. my husband would never volunteer. jajaj
May 30th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Argentina - I will email you once I get my head around this new info. Getting excited - 4 weeks today and we will be there.
Jun 1st, 2004, 06:19 AM

Whilst Cafe La Biela is quite nice, I prefer Cafe de la Paix across the street. La Biela's patio does not get the sun because of the trees planted in front. Since it can be chilly in June, no warm sun may preclude you from sitting outside. You also get a good view of Recoleta Cemetery from the patio of Cafe de la Paix.

A "hippie fair" takes place in the park around Recoleta Cemetery every sunday. You can find craft, jewelry, and artwork here. There is also a shopping mall in back of the cemetery.

The Belles Artes Museum is just a short walk from this park, on the opposite side of Av. Libertador. Three mesmerizing Goyas hang in this museum, as well as an amazing Cranach.)

People in BA relax on Sunday, go shopping, go out to eat. I think you should do the same. When in Buenos Aires.....

Hope you have great weather.

Cheers, John G.
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:03 AM

A good parilla on that restaurant strip argentina was talking about (Junin off of Vicente Lopez across from the cemetary and diagonal from Village Recoleta) is the Parillon de Recoleta. I had a very fine bife de lomo, ample portion, with good wine. This is fine parilla dining but more casual than Cabana Las Lilas.
Jun 1st, 2004, 07:54 AM

RE...cafes....Cafe de la Paix has the advantage of having outdoor heaters, great for sitting outside in the winter and people watching.....La Biela is fine as well....

If you eat in Recoleta, consider Munich which is next door to La Biela.....superb vegetable soup, milanesas, omeletes, along with the usual grilled meats.....good wine list....very traditional decor, complete with animal heads on the walls, starched white table cloths and great service from a wait staff that view their job as a profession.....

the hippie market is worth doing, at least for people watching!

About <leather.....take a radio taxi to Murrillo street, near Scalbrini Ortiz....there are probably 50 or so leather shops up and down Murrillo and various side streets....prices are about 10 to 20 percent lower than downtown.......
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou all so much for your input and suggestions. I am busy taking notes, as well as counting down the days.

If I get this much help with Brazil itinerary I will be delighted.

Thankyou

Carole

Search this Thread