Budweiser available in CR?

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budweiser available in CR?

I know...how pathetic is this question? It's for my husband. I am certain that the local beers are wonderful, it will be very expensive, when in Rome, etc, etc, but after 20 years of marriage, I just accept it and try to find his Bud...it must be imported somewhere because Bosque Del
Cabo has offered to have some for him...anyone noticed this in the local stores? We will be in Arenal, Quepos & Dominical....thanks for the help....LT
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I seem to remember seeing it in the supermarkets in Quepos, but we weren't looking for it. I'm sure some of the bars carry Bud, especially those in the hotels.

My wife - not a beer drinker - quite enjoyed Imperial...but 20 years is a lot of resistance to overcome

-Jeff
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Can't help you with the Bud. We always drink the Imperial. My husband being a long time Miller Lite man, didn't have a problem switching to Imperial.

But wondered when you would be at Bosque? There is so much talk about it here on the boards, some of us are bound to run into one another!!
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hey, dfarmer -- we'll be at BDC April 10,11& 12 along with our best friends...we are staying in the Pizote & Toucan standard cabinas...I am so psyched! We'll be in CR for a total of 12 days but I am most excited about staying at Bosque and communing w/ all those monkeys and birds. Glad we are saving it for the end of our trip...when are you going?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Is Imperial brewed in Costa Rica?
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:01 AM

Yep, and it's pretty darned good! We always bring a few home with us. A few months ago, it was reported in Costa Rica news that Imperial would begin importing to the west coast of the U.S. in the coming months. And projected to import sometime later to other parts of the U.S. Haven't heard any updates regarding said shipment!

We only just learned in October that, when ordering an Imperial, you can say "aguila" instead. It is espanol for "eagle"--like on the can. The accent is on the A---AH-ge-luh.

Alfonso at the Marilyn Monroe Bar (Las Orquideas) shared that with us. And we had fun trying out our new word at other bars when ordering Imperial. Sure 'nuff, everyone knew just what we meant! Those of you who will be heading that way soon should give it a try! No one will accuse you of being a tourist!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM

Thanks for that tidbit of info shillmac, will be enjoying an Imperial with Alfonso very soon.

Itilson, we will be there the first week of Feb. I know what you mean about being psyched!

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Your husband IS a truly pathetic American beer drinker.

He may find a few shreds of honest flavor in some Latin American beers, but if he is wedded to Bud, that may mean flavor is what fightens him most.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:12 PM

dfarmer: Alfonso is delightful, as is Edwin. Las Orq. does have an excellent staff. They make one feel so at home.
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM

ltilson - just found this and thought your husband may find it interesting!

http://www.costaricauncovered.com/gu...costa-rica.htm

"Beer
The local brewery makes Imperial, a slightly dark and sweet brew now exported to California; it’s reminiscent of the Mexican dark beer, Dos Equis, though not as heavy. Pilsen has a more crisp taste comparable to Budweiser. Heineken is brewed locally and not up to part with the real thing."
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Dfarmer.....that article was great...I'll make a copy for my husband...I'm sure he will try a couple of the local brews, but then the enternal search for Budweiser will begin. I'm going to try the Guaro! He is such a nightmare to travel with..when we went to the Cayman Islands (before 9/11) he took 2 cases of Budwesier held together w/ silver duct tape as his carry-on with a little handle made out of the duct tape...talk about embarrassing!! Thanks again...Lori
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:01 AM

Take your hubby to Ceske Budvar (sp?) in Czechoslovakia and let him drink what Augustus Busch had in mind way back when.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:02 AM

ltilson - How Funny! He really is serious about his Bud!

Guaro - All I can say is "Proceed with Caution" This stuff is sneaky! I once had 2 Caipirinhas prepared with Guaro and well, I had difficulty talking!

Wish you a great trip!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM

Sad but true--the American dumbing down of the flavor of mass produced beers began with the widespread availability of refrigeration. Cold kills the flavor of beer. Brewers eventually discovered that since consumers were refrigerating their beer, it had less flavor anyway, so the brewers could save a lot of money by cheapening the product. Why spend a lot on quality hops, grains, and expensive processing, when the beer is going to be served ice cold anyway?

Coors, Bud, Pabst, Miller--all essentially tasteless. Bubbly and they can get you high, but tasteless.

Don't get me started on light beers--save your money and drink tap water.

Fortunately, I was raised in a family of German ancestry, and my grandfather and father brewed their own. Also fortunately, over the past couple of decades, many beer drinkers have rediscovered the joy of beers that actually have flavor and aroma through the proliferation of microbreweries.

Many of these locally produced beers are as good as any you can find in Europe. Well, maybe not many of them are quite as good as the best in Europe, but there are a lot of excellent beers being produced in the USA now.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:30 AM

Interesting, Mr. Firefly! I'm not a conosseur (I have no idea how to spell that) myself, but my husband is. Lori, I can totally see him doing the same thing as your husband in the airport. I'm not even going to read your post to him for fear he will!

No, probably he wouldn't. He is fond of just about any old beer! But he does particularly enjoy Costa Rica's Imperial. Your husband may never want Bud again!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:39 PM

Mr. Firefly's erudition is appreciated.

Cold plus plenty of bubbles fill two necessary functions:

1. Numb the taste buds
2. "Skate" any trace of flavor over them

That's why tasting American industrial beer is such a horror after it's warmed and gone flat.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Poppa & Firefly.... His beer never gets warm.....probably because it's the "get you high" part that interests him the most....but thanks for the insight. Must be something in that Budweiser that keeps the industrialized masses drunk & happy...or maybe the bubbles have eaten away their taste buds. He did like the beer at Octoberfest so there may be some hope for him ...LT
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 03:52 AM

Of course, there's only one bottom line. If it tastes good to you and brings you satisfaction and enjoyment--PROST!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:14 AM

You could save a lot of money by going with the microbrews if the "drunk and happy" is what you are going for . They are a lot stronger. Stone Brewery in San Diego makes some great beer. We have it on tap here at the house in Ohio! Arogant Bastard is my favorite although I am more of a stout drinker with a little Pale Ale floated over the top. Nitro pushed of course. My husband is a hop head and an IPA person. He has been drinking Aguilas de Oro for many years down there after giving up on the others. He is thinking of bringing some good stuff down this year because we won't be in country flying until the end of the trip. I can handle the Bavaria oscuro but that lawnmower stuff Imperial calls beer is just not for me.

Several years ago, my husband was so desperate for a decent beer (home brewing just wasn't producing enough) that he and some friends opened a mircrobrewery. We won several gold medals on our Pale Ale. Unfortunately, as so often happens when friends go into business together, we all parted ways. Fortunately, we made a lot of other very good friends who were customers that we still tip a few with.

There was a brew pub in San Jose but I think it closed. We spend so little time there that we never got to try it out.

One fact that I find interesting is that, beer, as most know it these days (ie Bud, Miller, etc),was designed for the women who stayed behind to work in the factories after the men all left to go to war. American beer used to be very good and was basically all stronger microbrews. I still see hops growing wild around here from those days.

Tell your husband not to feel bad if he just has to bring his Bud with him. He isn't the first. I have seen fishermen bring whole coolers of it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM

Augustus Busch's great achievement (besides refigerated nationwide distribution) was to realize he could sell more beer if it had little taste and relatively low alcohol.

Hence, the 6-pack!

Miceo-brewed beers are not, by nature, stronger than industrial lagers. Beer itself is a beverage of conviviality
and designed for periods of conversation and not instant unconsciousness or panting sex (although that is not prohibited).

Some micro-brewers make high-alcohol beers for those who want them. There is also the, "mine is bigger than yours," macho thing that goes on but the less said aboout that the better.

Rufus is da bomb!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -