Search

Pantanal--2 Choices

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pantanal--2 Choices

I have abandoned a trip to Madagascar (due to unrest in the country and difficulty of in-country travel) and instead plan to visit Brazil in September. Now I am planning to fly to Rio, then to the Pantanal, and then to Manaus for a cruise. Can anyone comment on these 2 lodges in the Pantanal:

Caiman Ecological Refuge
Araras Eco Lodge

Thanks for any comments!

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 08:18 AM

The Pantanal in Sept is great timing.

I have some time at Caiman (Southern Pantanal) in June-July, which will be a first visit. While it is one of the fanciest places there, I chose it because it has a great wildlife reputation and works well as a solo visitor. I don't think it has much river action though, which is why I am coupling my week at Caiman with 3 nights at Refugio da Ilha which is on an island. The river part of my last trip, whether on the Pixiam River or the Paraguay presented tremendous highlights.

Araras has a good rep as well in the Northern Pantanal.

If you'd like to maximize your chances of seeing jaguars and you'd like some relaxed capybara, may I suggest Baiazinha Hotel on the Paraguay River in the Northern Pantanal? You fly to Cuiaba as the entrance city.

I'll attach my fodors report here with links to photos. You can skip to the Pantanal part and the photo albums are labeled.

The other places I stayed in the Northern Pantanal were excellent too for wildlife, but not real fancy as lodging.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35068062

If you wonder why I am not going back to Baiazinha, it is because I will focus more on birds this trip (and the birdlife at Baiazinha except for flocks of roseate spoonbills and woodstorks was not as prolific) and I don't think June is as good for jaguars as later in the season (like Sept.) But I will go back to Baiazinha again.

Good luck in your planning and have a great trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. I was hoping you would respond as I have read your reports on the Pantanal. I'll take all you said under consideration!
Jane
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 09:39 AM

One more thing on Baiazinha...I was told it was the best lodge in the Pantanal because it originally was designed for fisherman, and still used by them, and the fisherman clientele that go there will not tolerate rustic or roughing it. It was the nicest accommodation of my trip and the food was outstanding.

From what I've learned about Caiman, I think that is #1 for luxury, though not over the top luxury. Don't know how a Caiman vs. Baiazinha comparison for amenities would line up. But then, I don't really care about amenities.
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 05:36 AM

Hi Lyn,

Thank you. A stay at the Baiazinha looks very promising for spotting Jaguars. Would you also think I could see one in late April-early May period?

Thank you