Search

Best Costa Rica Beach for Safety

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Costa Rica Beach for Safety

Hi everyone,

I am reading about the increase in petty crime in tourist beach areas of Costa Rica. I have traveled to many countries in Central and South America and I know how to not be a target. My concern is not being able to walk on the beach with my daughter without having our personal belongings stolen (towels, shoes, etc.) I would never leave a wallet or bring any jewelry with me but since I am going to a beach with my family for some rest and relaxation, I don't want to feel as if I have to be guarding everything at all times. So, I am asking for your recommendations as to the best beach areas.... resorts, private beaches, etc where the incidents of petty crime are the lowest. I am looking at the Manuel Antonio are but I am open to any suggestions.

I appreciate your assistance.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM

It's hard to say, there isn't really any safe or un-safe beaches, it can happen anywhere really but then again it's not like thiefs are lining the beaches in waiting.

They're are a couple places where the resort is isolated enough where you probably wouldn't have to worry about it but I wouldn't base my decision solely on that. I would look at all the different beach areas and just pick the one that appeals to you most.

Inside MA park is a pretty beach, full of tourists and guides, where the worst thiefs are the animals who have had too many tourists feed them. Samara is a quieter laid back beach area. Mal Pais/Santa Teresa beaches are beautiful though a little rougher, though there are spots where it's calmer. So I would just consider what area appeals to you most and just keep an eye on your stuff. Remember for every person reporting that they had some thing stolen at the beach there are hundreds, thousands, that don't report "I went to the beach and no one stole my stuff"!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:24 AM

solo public beaches present some risk not much if careful.

no one steals towells and tennis shoes

except the monkeys inside the park at MA #3

thieves will take wallets purses jewelery etc.

the resorts with their own beach

www.tulemar.com

Villas Teca

usually the safest way to go...
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Daylight hours are safer, of course. I wouldn't walk on any beach late at night alone, or with my husband for that matter--at least not on deserted stretches with distance to hotels, businesses, etc. Most beaches are still very safe, VERY, but as Tully pointed out, there are never any guarantees. Crime has definitely increased, but still there is relative safety with precautions which you already understand.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM

I wouldn't really worry about someone taking flip flops or towels. I wouldn't leave a nice camera unattended, but I wouldn't do that in the states either. Have you looked at Tulemar Bungalows or Buena Vista Villas in MA? They get consistently good reviews and have their own beach.
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM

The only time we had a "problem" with our belongings was in MA. We left out towels and flip-flops unattended and while swimming we noticed that a couple of kids were trying on the flip-flops. When we came back, everything was where we left it. I guess our flip-flops didn't fit those kids;-)