Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   BsAs at the End of September & REAL BA (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/bsas-at-the-end-of-september-and-real-ba-731568/)

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 11:54 AM

BsAs at the End of September & REAL BA

Hi, this is my first post to this forum, so I hope I am doing this right by starting a new thread. :)

I will be in BsAs in late Sept-early Oct for 8 days. I am female and traveling solo, and staying at the Casa Bloody Mary. Is this an okay neighborhood to have my home base, and can anyone tell me anything about this small hotel? (I do not like big hotels.)

I am also curious about dress codes and smoking. Is casual attire okay? (I am from San Diego and am very casual.) Is smoking generally prohibited now?

Is there a good Argentinian Chardonnay?

And finally, I would be interested in doing a tour with AV for the REAL BsAs, so I hope you read this message. :) I also read about some clubs that have a good mix of tango and latin and jazz music and I'd like to check that out as well.

I am so excited to go to Buenos Aires, I can't hardly wait.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Michelle

avrooster Aug 24th, 2007 03:23 PM

Michelle: I had written a long reply, but my computer misbehaved and deleted it. I'll answer later.

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 03:53 PM

I hate it when that happens! I'm so sorry.

Orlando_Vic Aug 24th, 2007 03:59 PM

MichyB-

Welcome to Fodors Forums! You'll get a lot of good information here.

Regarding the Argentinian Chardonnay's that you inquired about. I don't know the specific answer to your question. You must, however, try the many wonderful malbecs that are available. very smooth, very reasonable and good.
The perfect accompaniment to a great steak (bife de lomo) dinner.

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 04:10 PM

Thanks for that, Orlando Vic. Quite unfortunately for me, I can't do the reds, but the beef is definitely at the top of my list! (I just read "what the heck is Malbec?" and they sound lovely.)

Scarlett Aug 24th, 2007 04:24 PM

Hola, MichyB !
Casa Bloody Mary is a guesthouse and located more in the Belgrano/Las Canitas barrios..meaning that you will have farther to go to visit all the typical tourist sites that are located in downtown or Recoleta etc.
Buenos Aires has many small hotels closer in..if you want some recommendations..just ask :)

Casual is good here..
Smoking is prohibited and everyone seems to obey the law.

I don't drink white wine but the wines here are mostly pretty good..

The weather will be warming up and it will be beautiful when you get here..you must be so excited :)

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 04:51 PM

Buenos tardes, Scarlett! (my Spanish is bad, spelling is worse).

I am visiting for a world dermatology congress that will be at the convention center, so I think I will be close to the center. I gathered Casa Bloody Mary was not in a typical place. Do you think it is safe? I of course would gladly take recommendations. I like a small, 'feel like home' kind of place. But, LOL, do not want to spend a small fortune. I assume with taxis and other transportation I can get to the other areas, but I am not sure how difficult it will be.

Well, one day I should give up smoking, I guess. :)

And oh yes, I am so excited about this trip! I just found out two days ago I was allowed to attend this conference so I have been scrambling. I'd be willing to bet I'll be sorry that I have to leave.

Scarlett Aug 24th, 2007 05:12 PM

You could try the ArtSuites Hotel in Barrio Norte
www.ArtSuites.com.ar
Rooms are $110 and less. Suites..with balconies and in a very good area.
Taxis are the way to get around but you don't want to be in an area where you must take one every time you go out...we walk here all the time, all day..when you are here and the weather is so nice, walking will be a treat ..
Get yourself a map, makes it much easier to plan things and also gives you a better idea of where things are and distances..

My dermatologist from NY will be here then :)
All of them lol.

It will be a good opportunity for you to practice not smoking :)

avrooster Aug 24th, 2007 05:23 PM

Well, MichyB from the great town of San Diego, you'll certainly have a great time in BA!

About the Bloody Mary, all I could find out was this: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._District.html

It sounds as if you should be OK there, particularly if you'll be working in some place near this B&B, as you seem to indicate. Do you know which "convention center" it is? The Rural?

Casual is OK, as you have already been told, particularly for tourists.

You are coming in our early spring and, with any luck, the weather should be great.

Being a smoker, you'll feel like you are in paradise in BA, compared to the US, because restrictions are much less strict here.

Tourists love our Malbec, which is a great red wine, but you'll find plenty of good whites.

I don't have a clue about "clubs that have a good mix of tango and latin and jazz music", but let's hope someone else will be able to help you with that.

About my tour, I'll answer in the other thread.

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 05:41 PM

The most difficult time I've had so far is finding a map online that a) I can read; and b) that I can even locate the street I'm staying on. :) I'm working on it. Mapquest just isn't cutting it.

I'm pretty darned sure that artsuites was my VERY first choice (I threw away my notes) and for some reason I think they were booked. Now I am going to have to double check!

Thanks for all your help, dahlin' sca'lett.

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 05:44 PM

Gracias, AV Rooster. Yes, it is the Rural.

And I will look for your other post!

How exciting! You guys are great!

drdawggy Aug 24th, 2007 05:50 PM

Angelica Zapata estiba reserva chardonnay if you like "buttery" chards....pretty amazing white and I do not particularly care for whites...

I agree with others...be certain to try Malbec and red "cortes" Carlos Pulenta Vista Alba B or anything by Achaval Ferrer....

raquel_z Aug 24th, 2007 05:51 PM

MichyB,
I posted links for a couple of online interactive maps that you might want to try in another thread. Here they are again. (But they are in Spanish)
http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/sig/index.phtml
If you look at the options at the left - "recorrido a pie" will show and give directions you how to walk from A to B. recorrido en auto = driving instructions. if you put the cross strees into "localizador de direcciones" at the bottom left you'll get an area map.

Another interactive map is
http://mapas.argentina.com/

good luck,
raquel

MichyB Aug 24th, 2007 07:00 PM

Drdawggy, I most definitely go for the buttery, thanks. I will look that one up. Looks like Paul Hobbs may have one or two, and I've seen some other interesting ones. And I'm gonna regret it (red wine gives me a headache for some reason), but I'm writing down your recommendations for the reds as well. Just sounds so much better with the meal...

And Raquel, oh thank you so much!!!! for posting that link again. I had seen it someplace, but I had no idea WHERE. I have been online reading and researching for the entire day, and the map stuff was driving me crazy.

¡Gracias!
Michelle

MichyB Aug 25th, 2007 11:15 AM

Well, it will be a Blood Mary Morning. Or shall I say week? I have looked at art suites (very nice! but not available for my full stay) and a few others and I am thinking the town will be filled to the brim during my stay. So I look forward to my stay at Casa Bloody Mary and I will post a review after. :) They have been very responsive and helpful online.

Me and the maps: well I've never felt so handicapped. I have yet to locate my hotel on a map, so I will be asking the hotel for assistance. Yeesh, so much for that college degree. :)

AV Rooster may be available for the REAL tour, and he has suggested a Sunday at San Telmo Fair, so thank you for that wonderful suggestion.

A few more questions, if you don't mind.

Can a girl get a haircut on a Saturday afternoon/evening? Any recommendations?

Do people really dress to the 9's for the evenings? I read it is more important to look good than to feel good. Where do the 40-50-60 age group go to hang out and relax (not the see and be seen scene)?

And my last wacky question, does anyone know if the pasta in Buenos Aires is fortified with iron? It is in the United States (called enriched here) so I am curious.

Thanks all, you have been tremendously helpful.

Scarlett Aug 25th, 2007 11:55 AM

Sunday in San Telmo is a hoot..lots of stuff and people ..We were there today, we are shopping for antique lighting for our new apt and there are plenty of shops to look in...Saturday in San Telmo is great, mostly just locals having lunch and wandering , doing errands..not as jam packed as Sundays..
We had lunch at Desnivel..if you want a reco.

You need a map that has Las Canitas and Belgrano on it..that is north of Palermo..Mapquest never cut it for us

You can get your haircut late in the evening here !
Don't have a name for you, I heard good things about a place in Palermo Soho and the same person has a place on Riobamba, maybe someone reading this will know who I mean. He is supposed to be very good.

I don't think they dress to the 9's at all.
Everyone is neat and tidy and do not go out all sloppy .. women wear their clothes fitted, no baggy trousers! A lot of heels are worn, high heels, boots with heels..scarves..think Paris..They do the Scarf thing here.lol...

In our experience so far, the pasta is mostly homemade in the restaurants .. They do sell brands that are sold in the US..not sure about fortified with iron.
Pasta is pretty pretty good here :)

avrooster Aug 25th, 2007 11:57 AM

Some wacky answers to your wacky questions. LOL!!

1) "Can a girl get a haircut on a Saturday afternoon/evening? Any
recommendations?"

Of course and it's also the most popular day and time, so maybe you should have your B&B reserve for you. Where? Not a clue, thankfully, but I'm sure someone else will know.

2) "Do people really dress to the 9's for the evenings? I read it is more important to look good than to feel good."

I would say it depends of where you are going?

3) "Where do the 40-50-60 age group go to hang out and relax (not the see and be seen scene)?"

No idea, I'm even older than that. LOL!!!

4) "does anyone know if the pasta in Buenos Aires is fortified with iron?"

Again, no idea. All I know is that it is great, if you go to the right place, such as Sottovoce, for instance.

Any more wacky questions, Michelle? LOL!!

saltshaker Aug 25th, 2007 01:10 PM

If you're talking about boxed pasta that you buy at the supermarket, you'll find some of the same brands you're used to in the U.S., and there are some that are enriched. If you're talking about what you're likely to get in a restaurant - probably not. Most either use fairly inexpensive dry pasta, or, if they're a better spot, they very likely either make their own or have a neighborhood pasta maker make it for them.

MichyB Aug 25th, 2007 01:31 PM

Scarlett, I could be in mucho trouble when you say 'think Paris' when I am much more in tune to 'think homeless.' Heels?? Cómo se dice flip-flops? LOL. Oh dear, I'm guessing now that I am in need of an Xtreme makeover!

AVRooster, I will 1) contact B&B straight away (and see if they know of Scarlett's reco); 2) don't have a clue where I'm going LOL; 3) I thought from my readings online that you were in your 60s?; and 4) of course I have more wacky questions, just give me a moment or two....

And Dan (cool to see you, I've read many of your posts), regarding the pasta, I'm hoping for non-fortified. If your store-bought pasta is not, I'll be taking some home with me. A long time ago someone here thought the world was anemic, but most men of any age and peri/menopausal women don't need extra iron, especially if you smoke and drink (Michelle's iron lesson 101 for the day).

Thanks all.

avrooster Aug 25th, 2007 01:55 PM

Wacky answers:

1) Flip-flops="ojotas"

2) Hairdresser:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic..._District.html

3) Yes, I'm in my sixties, but as you said "the 40-50-60 age group", I thought I was thankfully excluded! LOL!

Keep the wacky questions coming!