Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Brief Trip Report for 3 Night Stay at Ritz Carlton, Cancun

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Christopher

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 3 night stay at the Ritz-Carlton. We highly recommend staying on the Club Level. You can easily eat breakfast and lunch on the Club Level. There is no dinner, only hors d'ouerves. The Club Grill restaurant was outstanding. When you go to the pool to get towels, the pool staff will cover your padded pool chair or beach chair with a towel and then make a roll-up pillow for your head with another towel. Drink prices are expensive- $15 for a margarita, $9.00 for a GLASS of wine (could buy the same BOTTLE for $6.99 in U.S.), and $4.50 for a Mexican beer. We had 4 cocktails for a $60 bar tab. Just an FYI so you will know ahead of time. Extremely attentive staff, especially if they know you are celebrating a special occasion. Would we stay here again? In a heartbeat. Trying to work out more babysitting with grandma and grandpa so we can get back to this hotel soon!

On another note - my impressions of Le Meridien and JW Marriott vs Ritz Carlton. I requested in e-mail a list of spa treatments from each hotel. The Ritz response was very elegant and in perfect English. The Le Meridien response was in slightly broken English at times and in all capital letters. The JW Marriott response was from their central internet reservations and was just a cut and paste from their web page of info that I already knew. JW suggested that I contact the hotel for more information. Hard to do when they didn't even give me an e-mail address of local contact. Ritz and Meridien inquiries go straight to the local hotel. Meridien was very nice inside, but they do have a lot of partial ocean view rooms and rooms facing the lagoon, so be specific when picking a room if full ocean view is important. Did not make it down to the JW Marriott. I will say that Meridien has a better spa than Ritz (bigger, more treatments, more options) and is much less expensive. Meridien also had very cool infinity view pools - it was hard to see the ocean while inside the Ritz pool.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:33 PM
ann

thanks for your report, Christopher. How were the rooms at the Ritz? You picked up on my one beef with the JW -- it was hard to get info. from the hotel directly without calling them from the US...Also, when we checked in, the front desk told us that the rooms we expected we reserved were actually $50 more than we we booked them for...

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:47 AM
Christopher

The rooms were very nice. It says on the website how many sq. ft. they are. King size bed, armoire, desk, overstuffed chair, huge balcony with two chairs, lounge chair, and table. Bathroom had a tub/shower and a seperate shower and double sink. Door to toilet. Twice daily made service - nightly turn-down was great. CD player/clock radio combo. Ask for a room near the atrium, because the hallways are long - a plus, though, because it means that the rooms line the beach. Feather and foam pillows.

Can somebody please tell me why a cab from airport to Ritz is $40, but cab from Ritz to airport is $25?

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:38 AM
Lyn

We paid $40 for four people from airport to Royal Sands. We paid $20 for four people from Royal Sands to airport. Next time instead of paying in advance for a cab at the airport, we will walk outside and see what kind of deal we can broker. We're thinking it's a racket to prepay inside.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Robert

Certainly the taxis are a racket but, as in most Mexican cities, they are controlled and the prices fixed by the local syndacate (union). Thats why you find it more expensive in one direction than the other.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:22 AM
rachael

What type of room did you stay in? Was the beach nice in front of the hotel? Did you do any snorkling? Thanks