Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Breakfast in BA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/breakfast-in-ba-381806/)

ovenbird Jun 19th, 2008 02:16 PM

Breakfast in BA?

We're spending a few days in Buenos Aires prior to our trip to Antarctica in October. We've decided to splurge and stay at the Hilton in Puerto Madero because of its proximity to Costanera Sur Ecological Reserve. We're birders and intend on going there early in the mornings, but would like to grab a bite to eat first (something with protein, not just carbs as I'm diabetic). The hotel's breakfast is a bit expensive and we don't like to eat in hotels anyway, so we'd like to stop on the way to the reserve if possible.

Are there any restaurants serving breakfast in the vicinity of the Hilton? If so, any idea what time they open for business? Hopefully they open early so we can get to the reserve while the birds are still active!

Thanks,
Marsha

Scarlett Jun 19th, 2008 04:05 PM

Marsha,the Holiday Inn is on the City side of the Puerto Madero. You are not actually ON Puerto Madero, which is across a bridge.
I can't think of anything in the area, but your chances are better around the hotel than they are on PM..
I know the hotel is on Alem, look in your guide book, see what is close ... I will look in my old Frommers too :)

Scarlett Jun 19th, 2008 04:12 PM

I'm wrong ! I'm wrong!
The book says that the rooms on the executive floor get a free breakfast, any chance that is where you will be staying?
Otherwise, there are places to eat dinner but I don't know of anything else in that area..

PM is sort of isolated... your first morning there, eat at the hotel, then you can look during the day for a better place for the next day:)

ovenbird Jun 20th, 2008 02:58 AM

Scarlett, thanks for the suggestion to eat at the hotel the first morning. We're staying at the Hilton, not the Holiday Inn so we will be across the bridge. We liked the idea of being able to easily walk to the reserve.

Scarlett Jun 20th, 2008 05:04 AM

lol, I realized that afterwards... my second post is related to the Hilton.
I know there is a line of restaurants along the water front past the Faena hotel..which is farther to the right of your hotel..not sure if it is an easy walk.
But most of them I think are lunch/dinner places..you will have plenty of options for dinner with a view!
There are little places but I don't know the names.
October will be soooo beautiful at the Reserve :)

ovenbird Jun 21st, 2008 07:54 AM

Scarlett, will it be difficult to get an early morning (6-7am) taxi from hotels in Recoleta to the reserve? Glad to hear the reserve will be soooooo beautiful in October! We are looking forward to being in BA and relaxing in the reserve. THanks for your help!

Scarlett Jun 21st, 2008 12:41 PM

Re: Taxis... I doubt it will be hard. Mornings here are typical big city rush hours but there are a gazillion taxis here too.
We always manage just fine, for those too early for anyone to be up mornings when we had to go to the Embassy etc .. ( we live in Recoleta) ... just walk out to the street and stick your arm out :)

The taxi light on top will be lit if they are working, the little Libre sign in the window will be lit if they are free / have no passenger.
I always try to get a Radio Cab with the light box on the roof but we do grab the others.
But you should stick to the ones with light boxes that say Radio Cab on the roof.
If your Spanish is shaky, write down the address or name or cross streets...