Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque Del Cabo's Tree Platform, is it exciting enough for an 11-year-old?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My granddaughter and I will soon be at BDC for a once-in-a-lifetime trip. She's very excited about the tree platform and zip ride. Will she be disappointed? Will grandma lose her cool while zipping? Granddaughter is also interested in horseback riding. Grandma not so much. We both are looking forward to the animal sanctuary tour. Any comments and suggestions about the activities, or kids at BDC in general are most welcome.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Other options, but you'll have to do the comparing: El Remanso next door has a tree thing too; Psychotours. Both open to BdC guests I'm virtually sure.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 10:18 AM

I don't think she'll be disappointed! Also, the horseback ride with Miguel is terrific, ask BDC about it for more details.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM

Ditto hip on the horseback ride! We haven't done the zip and tree platform at BdC simply because we have done longer more elaborate (and fun) ziplines elsewhere. If you won't have that opportunity, then I'm sure BdC's zip is fun. Grandma will be fine! Time of your life.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM

We haven't done the zipline at BDC, but have been told by guests that for the price, skip it and do it elsewhere if you can. However, my son did the tree rapelling at BDC and LOVED it! We went and watched him and it was truly a highlight for him! Our family, including my parents (early 60's) did the horseback riding with Miguel at BDC and my mother was very uncomfortable with the ride. The rest of us loved it. It was very muddy and she didn't like the horse going so deep into mud and felt very unstable. Once we rode out onto the beach, she was much happier. We all enjoyed the animal sanctuary very much. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip!
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM

i think the BDC zip is a mini-version of some of the larger ones, like in arenal, but i the 11 year old should still have a blast, especially if this is her only chance.
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Back to Canopy tour options on the Osa--
Make sure this is current before relying on it, but FWIW:
http://www.tourosa.com/canopy.htm
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM

A tip for the animal sanctuary, there really isn't anywhere to wash off so don't wear sunscreen or bug spray if you want to handle the monkeys. I've been 3 times now and they try to enforce that.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:43 AM

hipvirgochick --?? Isn't the animal sanctuary reached through a golfo/river landing?
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM

Yes, but I don't consider jumping off a boat into knee deep water for a few seconds "washing". ;-) There are sometimes 3 resident monkeys nearby to greet you, and they may want to climb on you as soon as you hit the beach. It's really better for the animals to be chemical free. The owners have worked hard to improve the facilities which now offer bigger cages, spaces and separation for the babies, but as far as I know there's still no real sink with soap area to wash up. Last year I didn't make it to the sanctuary but I did meet up with one of the owners over dinner at Bosque del Cabo and progress seemed to be going very well.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks, hvc. We plan on going, and I'm sure my wiser half will want some sunscreen and bug spray en route for at least herself and the kids. Sounds like the thing to do for us is go lightly on that, wear swimsuits, and wash off with bio-safe liquid soap while disembarking.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM

I hope you enjoy it as much as we have and I'm sure your kids will love it. I have a great pic of my daughter when she was 10 where Sweetie, a spider monkey, climbed right up on her back underneath her rain poncho and stuck it's head through the hole next to hers as soon as we hit the beach. The look on her face is priceless! Actually...I just remembered it's my profile pic here on Fodors.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM

We also didn't do ziplining at BDC. I think they only have one platform and it's almost as expensive as places that have many more. If you have no other opportunities, go for it... otherwise do your zipling elsewhere and save hiking for BDC.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the great hints. I'm sure we'll both have a fantastic time.