Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque del Cabo...to do or other suggestions....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a hard time deciding on this one....I REALLY want to stay at the Bosque del Cabo, I want to experience the flora and fauna as much as possible on my trip to Costa Rica. The price though is kind of prohibitive to me....$255 per person per night for my husband and myself. I really don't want to stay in a tent though either (55 this year and have spent most of my vacations in tents) Will I be kicking myself for not staying there? We are also spending nights in San Gerardo de Dota, Uvita and La Fortuna. We're staying over the Christmas holiday so I need to make up my mind quickly in order to get a reservation....Thanks, Tammy
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:22 AM
RAC

That money includes three meals a day (including fantastic dinners).

You're not in a tent, you're in a very nice casite with large bathroom/dressing area, and a lovely outdoor shower. And the view we had in ours (Congo casite) was jaw-dropping.

Plus, we saw a PUMA on the grounds there.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM

It is expensive, but we definitely thought it was worth it. Prices are especially high at Christmas. We did a trip over the holidays one year and were shocked at how much prices skyrocketed.
The wildlife was just phenomenal there. We saw all 4 kinds of monkeys, an anteater, sloths, toucans, and scarlet macaws.
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Prices are high during the holidays, not just Bosque but all over, some mandate a minimum night stay. To me, BdC is worth every penny. The food, the staff, the cabinas, the wildlife & trails et al. Keep in mind as well that with their extensive trails system and grounds, you can spend the whole time there and not have to pay extra for any excursions if you wish. When I figure staying somewhere else, plus add in food, plus add in money for excursions (often between $30-$100 per person depending) then to me it all evens out fairly.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 06:36 AM

just to add to the chorus here, Bosque is a unique nature lodge, with fantastic rooms, setting, food and service.
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 06:33 PM

I haven't looked at the prices lately, did you mention your dates of travel? We have stayed (many times) in the classic cabinas to save a few $$. Sol is our favorite. Seems like you could save around $100 per day by choosing a classic. They are very nice, comparable, with double beds. Absolutely worth the money. If you've been staying in tents all these years, you've earned it! You do get a lot of bang for your buck.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. We have decided to stay 3 nights at the Lookout Inn for a couple of days and 1 in PJ. I figure I'll probably be back...and will stay at BdC,hopefully 5+ days, just not during the most expensive time of the year.
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Say hi to crazy Terry at The Lookout. We love Bosque
bu we also loved the Lookout.