Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Bosque del Cabo question-is Phillip good with kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/bosque-del-cabo-question-is-phillip-good-with-kids-1041090/)

plambers Mar 24th, 2015 12:33 PM

Bosque del Cabo question-is Phillip good with kids?

Hi. Still debating if/how to split our time in Matapalo in early July. Do we spend the full 8 days at Casa Vida Verde down on beach with its own pool and cook or divide 4 and 4 with Bosque at Casa Blanca.

As of today, there are no other kids at BdeC per Leo and we know there will be alot of kids on beach. Have also heard that Philip is better with adults. We want to do the night hike there and also the early birding with Carlos.

Our kids are 11 and 12 and very well behaved. We loved the ranger lead tours at Yellowstone last summer.

I have read alot of reports on BdeC with kids but alot of the families seem to go off site quite a bit. We would do that our first 4 days at the house. So is there enough to do with kids with the on site hiking and maybe a horseback ride for 4 nights and is Phillip good with kids.

thanks all.

volcanogirl Mar 24th, 2015 02:58 PM

Phillip is very smart and seems to have equal disdain for adults and kids. :) The tour we did with him was about 4 hours, and I think as a kid I would have been bored, but as an adult I loved learning about every single little thing and how they all interact. We did birding with Carlos, and kids might enjoy that. You can also do some of the little activities like horseback riding, tree climbing, etc. I think kids would like those too. BdC is great, so I like the idea of a split. The kids would probably enjoy one of Phillip's shorter tours like the little night hike to see frogs and snakes vs. the super long one. Do your kids enjoy hiking and spotting wildlife?

plambers Mar 25th, 2015 03:42 AM

VG, we will do the night hike and the morning bird tour with carlos. I figured the 4 hr hike would be too long for them w Phillip.
Is Phillip around to answer general questions etc?
Thanks

I know you have been there a few times-are there usually some kids there?

volcanogirl Mar 25th, 2015 05:48 AM

p, there was one family with teens when we were there. We would see Phillip in the restaurant area sometimes and ask him questions.

honokat Mar 25th, 2015 05:45 PM

Plambers… my daughter and I will be at BdC July 1-8… but she is 6… younger than your kids. :)

plambers Mar 25th, 2015 06:49 PM

hokonat, any concerns with kids there?

volcanogirl Mar 25th, 2015 06:54 PM

I'd recommend getting some of those laminated wildlife cards so kids can help with the wildlife spotting and know what they're looking for. We got ours at Rainforest Publications - about eight bucks I think.

plambers Mar 26th, 2015 03:58 AM

vg, great idea as always. thanks

honokat Mar 26th, 2015 10:30 PM

plambers-- I had a few concerns, but thought everything through before deciding to go there. My daughter is mature for her age, well behaved and can follow instructions. She is also cautious, not reckless. She is crazy about birds and REALLY wants to see them wild in the rainforest. The Osa Peninsula was our first choice destination. We later added Manuel Antonio, Peace Lodge and Toucan Rescue Ranch to our itinerary.

Your house option sounds awesome as well. :)

sparklegem Jun 10th, 2015 02:53 PM

Our daughter was six on our first visit to Bosque del Cabo. Phillip's tour was fascinating (and a little scary). We have to end early because it was too hot for her, she overheated, and we ended up spending the rest of the day in the pool.

We all loved the horseback ride.

sparklegem Jun 10th, 2015 02:53 PM

oh! And the night tour is fantastic!!