Search

Bosque del Cabo prices?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosque del Cabo prices?

Hi Everyone! I also have a question about Bosque del Cabo--I don't mean to sound cheap in the slightest, but we just realized that the rates for the high season are $185 per person per night and not for the both of us per night. I guess we misread the website. Does everyone agree that it's worth the price? That just seems to be the most expensive accommodations we've come across by far in our trip planning. But we've heard so many good things about it. Should we splurge?
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 05:27 AM

I can't claim I'm unbiased cause Bosque is my favourite place so of course I will say yes!

Although it doesn't make the initial per night any less, here's the way I look at it price-wise: From the $370 per night (in high season), deduct approx $100 for food for 2 (which is only $50pp at 10/15/25 for b/l/d, which unless you eat at roadside sodas is still apretty low estimate).

Then deduct say $100 for an hiking activity (based on an average $50pp 3-4 guided tour to Manuel Antonio or Arenal). Since BdC has so many trails that can keep you busy for days, I consider that one of the best savings. I know in Arenal or MA my biggest expenses are for tour activities - and thats with 5-15 other people for a short time period, at Bosque you have the freedom to hike the trails at will, many times, at one of the best places in the country for wildlife.

So now you're down to $170 per night for a beautiful cabina using my justification And as much time as I spend hiking and eating there, I spend just as much sitting on the deck or patio of the cabinas and just watching and waiting for the next animal, bird or beautiful sunset that will pop up. Throw in a warm, friendly staff and the owners, who all make you feel like you're visiting family and that's the reason why I go every year, or in this year twice, as I'm going back early Nov.

I know it's an investment but imho it's the best bang for buck for what you get in return.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 08:13 AM

tully, I love that breakdown. I think I'll use that on myself to justify OUR next trip to BdC. Great rationale.

I'll also add that it's nearly impossible to put a price on the tranquility and beauty that you'll be surrounded by at pretty much every moment you're there. For me, just to be away from phones, computers, the internet for a few days is worth almost anything. And watching the monkeys and other wildlife from your comfortable deck or porch, ahh. And it's so easy and laid back. It's just very rejuvenating.

I'm a natural-born bargain hunter myself, and it was very difficult justifying our first trip there, but I'm so glad I did it -- it's totally worth it.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks plumboy and tully! your breakdowns definitely help me to justify the price. i guess if we're not spending on meals/tours while we're there then it makes it a little less costly. let me ask you this then...would two nights be a good amount of time at BdC or do we definitely need at least three? thanks again!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM

I would give yourself at least three. That'll give you two whole days, plus part of two others -- but, trust me, you'll wish you had more, and it's going to be painful leaving. We had three this past March, and next time, I'm planning on at least five nights, if not seven -- even if it breaks the bank.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM

broadway, we stayed three nights and got to do and see everything we wanted; the wildlife we saw there was the most amazing that I've ever seen anywhere. If you like to hike and enjoy seeing wildlife, the price will be worth it to you. It's a wonderful, beautiful spot.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM

Also, here's a newish video of testimonials about BdC. Yes, it's a promotional video, but everything everyone says is honest sentiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba2omwHsoC8
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Hmmm....I don't know about that lady in the pink shirt, notice she's not letting her husband talk?

Just kidding!! It's a great compliment video to the main one.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:36 PM

LOL!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM

I would say the above breakdown's are good ones. Having spent time in many wonderful areas of CR in all price ranges, I'd definitely say Bosque del Cabo is worth the splurge. There are a couple of good tours like the animal sanctuary and kayaking that would take a day away from the grounds, so if you want to do those you could always stay at somewhere like Cabinas Jimenez in town for a night. There are enough trails to keep you busy for a few days even if you don't take advantage of any of the on-site guided walks that are offered for an added fee. If you have 2 full days, definitely go on the Pacific Trail and Golfo Dulce and plan on spending a few hours for each, BDC will pack a picnic lunch if you want. Then throw in a couple more trails, some pool time, maybe the morning birding or nocturnal walk if you want something that is around 1 hours, or the primary forest walk for a more in depth learning experience about the rain forest (about 4 hours). Since these cost extra that's really up to you to decide, but they're all worth while in my opinion. There's a great cat talk (free of course) in the evening on Wednesday nights, should you happen to be there then.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM

He talked plenty. I can't help it if they "cut" him. Must've been that drawl.

Tully explained EVERYONE'S justification pretty well. Believe me, others of us look to justify it as well; you aren't alone! It's a chunk of change to stay there.

Our first time was a 3 night deal. We got all the trails hiked and did the a.m. Primary Forest tour and night hike AND had time to relax a bit on the deck. The more time you can manage there (financially and otherwise) the more pleased you will be with your experience.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM

Here is my justification: If we purchased land in this area, we'd be in the poor house,and more precious land would be disturbed. BUT - for a mere 3 figures per night, we get to live in a piece of paradise. A great deal!

ya, right, J, we believe you!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM

That makes sense to me!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM

I swear! On those damned horse earrings!

That's the whole point. You pay for the full experience, not just the room, the food, the trails. . .it's the whole enchilada, the feelings, the relaxation, the peace, the awe.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 10:57 AM

LOL!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM

For some reason I didn't even notice he had a drawl, seriously. I'm just joshing with you, you did so much better talking to a camera than I ever would!

I would definitely try to eke out at least 3 nights. I just spent 7 days there and was wondering on the 6th day where all the time went, didn't even get to most trails!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM

We will be going back for our 4th visit (next year)....each time has been a week long stay,
I really could stay a lot longer. But boy, the bar bill and my weight would be BAD!!!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM

My husband and I will be spending 3 weeks in CR in Feb. This thread makes me want to add a few days at BDC. How much can I expect to spend on getting there?
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM

cpcd -- If you can grab the loco fares on Nature Air, that's your best bet. Otherwise, for time savings (unless you're already spending time somewhere like Dominical where it's not too far to drive) check Sansa or Nature Air. If you have 3 weeks I'd definitely try to include it if you can.
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 06:48 PM

Having been to BDC twice, I echo the comments of others. It is truly a remarkable place for those that like wildlife and nature and don't mind some critters running around the cabina. That being said, the economy has impacted all of us. We have been twice in Feb staying in a deluxe cabina, but next time I think we will try the off season and a standard cabina. That might buy us an extra night or two.

Also, 3 nights is really a minimum in my book. We stayed 6 nights last February and they had to pry me off the trails to get me in the van to make our flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -