Bosque del Cabo or Lookout Inn

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that most of you prefer BDC to the LI, but I'm trying to find out exactly why.

I'm looking for a relaxing place to easily see wildlife. I don't mind a minor amount of funk in my accomodations, and I suspect the stairs would be good for me, so I'm leaning towards the LI. I'm not big on interactions with kids, and I'm not looking for spa treatments or pampering. We will have hiked in from the Sirena ranger station and I think we'll want to kick back for a few days, so activities aren't real important.

In my dreams, I want to sit in an isolated spot in a hammock or chair and watch monkeys and weird birds go by.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM

If you're hiking in from Sirena, have you looked at La Leona Ecolodge? It's RIGHT there off the beach as soon as you finish at the La Leona ranger station -- and it looked really beautiful from the beach (and you're going to be really tired!). I'd have a gander, if I were you -- it's less expensive too, I think: http://www.laleonaecolodge.com/
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Plumboy - thanks for the suggestion, but I think I read that the tents at La Leona don't have bathrooms. I'm at an age where one night at Sirena might be enough non-private-bathroom time for me.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:14 PM

I've stayed at both. You're right, I would heartily rec Bosque over Lookout Inn. LI is a nice place, food was ok, room was ok. If you're going to spend your time all in the park on day trips, or laying on the beach (too rough to swim), it's fine. Other than a "trail" about 1/2 mile up the road, that is someone's driveway, there isn't much to do other than sit on the beach. But it's on a very small parcel of land, and that alone Bosque has a huge edge over it. Bosque has close to 1,000 acres, and animals do not know where the park boundaries are, so basically you get the convenience of hiking, seeing tons of wildlife, without have to pay and arrange gor a guide every day. The trails there are many, right there and well-kept, so in effect it's cheaper for me to stay there, not to mention easier. A guide into the park from LI will probably run $40-$60 per person.

There are 10 cabinas at Bosque, there are I think around 7 or 8 cabinas/rooms at LI. To be honest I found LI a little claustophobic and really pinned for some alone time like I get at Bosque. Since at LI they are all sort of built on top of each other or next to each other, it doesn't have the same privacy as at Bosque.

In all of my trips there over the years, I think there has been 2 or 3 kids. Kids are usually there most often during spring break or Easter.

So yeah, I'm a Bosque die-hard I liked Lookout Inn for what it was but it just did not hold the appeal that Bosque does to me.

Btw, here are pics from my last time at Bosque, and 'your dream' is about 3/4 of the way down, sat on my deck for over 2 hours watching a troop of spider monkeys chill out right on front of me. http://picasaweb.google.com/sheva07/...eat=directlink
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Ah, while I was typing lots has happened! Just to add - I will be at La Leona in a little over a month and yes they do indeed have bathrooms, attached to the tents and private. you can see pics of them on their website. Their reservations/office staff has been superb, Ute has been great to deal with.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 05:44 AM

BDC or La Leona if you can afford it...
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM

I have not stayed at both, but the reason I haven't stayed at Lookout Inn is primarily due to knowledge I've gained from these forums over the past few years (including the comments stated above). The reason I keep returning to Bosque del Cabo is also due to these forums, personal experience, and the fact that it never disappoints. BDC seems like it fits perfectly with what you're looking for. I've been there when other families are around but there's enough space and land for everyone. ;-)
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks everybody, especially Tully. You've convinced me to drop LI. Now it's either BDC or La Leona. If you don't mind, post when you get back and let me know how it compares to BDC. If anyone has stayed there, does it have the same limitations (few trails, water too rough for swimming) as LI?
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM

acprincess you're welcome. I will certainly post a trip report when I get back (June 4th). Wait, I'm leaving May 20th, I'd much rather think about going there than coming back I do know it's right by the La Leona entry to the park. Can't say for sure but I don't think the water is for swimming too much, pics I've seen the water looks a little rough. Will also be doing Bosque as well on this trip, near impossible to go to the Osa and not, for me!