Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque del Cabo on the Osa? Yes or No for Nervous Traveller?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help me decide! I'm excited but nervous about the plan of traveling to the Osa peninsula and staying at Bosque del Cabo. This will be our 2nd trip to Costa Rica, and we would be traveling next February, dry season.

I am a nervous traveller. Gulp. I try to plan trips which are adventurous enough for my husband the biologist, yet relaxing and magical enough for me...and not too scary. I like reading, writing, meeting interesting people, and finding peace.

Our first trip to Costa Rica made me very nervous during the planning phases. I finally settled on Monteverde, Arenal, and Manuel Antonio. It was a family trip with young adult kids, and it helped to have them along. They were confident! It was June, rainy season. It was a great trip. Monteverde Cloud forest was magical, and nice cool weather. Arenal was fun, with warm but tolerable weather. Manuel Antonio was unbearably hot for me and also over-touristed.

So I'm looking at Bosque del Cabo for us for February next year. What am I nervous about? The usual...bugs and poisonous snakes sneaking up on me. And flying....hate flying. But I also don't like bumpy roads that make me feel like my insides are gonna rattle out and we're going to maybe drive right off the road... Plus I don't tolerate the heat well...I tend to melt, being spoiled here in southern California with mild weather.

Okay, enough of that. You get the picture. It's me again...the nervous traveller! Is Bosque del Cabo the right place for my husband and I? We like nature, friendly and interesting people, good food, romance, beautiful scenery...

It's also hard to figure out which route is more reassuring for me...driving to Bosque del Cabo or flying there. I don't like the travelling part...but I tend to love the destination!

Is February generally a good month to visit Bosque del Cabo? We are looking at early February because we're invited to a destination wedding near Jaco at that time. If February isn't best for the Osa, another thought would be to save the Osa for a different visit to Costa Rica...

Thanks! So many of you who helped me with our 1st trip to Costa Rica are still right here!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:58 AM

You don't like bumpy roads and you went to Monteverde? Melissa that cracks me up! I would definitely fly, fly, fly to the Osa; almost no one drives down there. The flight is quick and painless, just fly and save yourself loads of time. Don't even think about it anymore.

Regarding BdC, I'm a girly girl, and I loved it. Regarding bugs and snakes, I didn't see a single snake and no bug that wasn't much tinier than what I would see at home in Texas. What I did see was all 4 kinds of monkeys, toucans, a sloth, an anteater, and wild scarlet macaws amongst other birds. I had a beautiful cabin with an outdoor shower and bathtub that I loved. I had a really cozy, beautiful romantic bed, fresh flowers, and lounge chairs that looked out over the ocean. The food is also very good, and the communal dinners are wonderful. We ended up meeting a lot of lovely people. Think about the people who would go there, and they're probably people that you would have a lot in common with. And I would think your biologist husband would be in heaven.

Regarding the heat, we went in July, so I can't speak for February. I think it's going to be quite warm that time of year, but there's a pool and nice shower and a small fan in the room. You can sit in the shade and swing by the bar for smoothies. I thought Manuel Antonio was unbearably hot too. I remember walking on the road in the direct sun and thinking it was worse than Houston, and that's saying something. I don't think I could have slept without ac there, but I did at BdC. It wasn't as hot, more sticky, but there was more of a breeze than we got at MA. I have long, thick hair, and I don't think it ever got dry at BdC because of the humidity and not being able to use a blow dryer. I gave up on wearing makeup. I still loved it. Even though you're in the jungle, the little luxurious touches are impressive - brownies and vanilla ice cream in the middle of the jungle? Fresh fruit smoothies? Scarlet macaws that fly by like clockwork and seeing huge troops of monkeys swing right in front of my cabin? This is one of the only places I've stayed where my jaw literally dropped. We went to the animal sanctuary, and a baby monkey ran right into my husband's arms. I got to hold a sloth - neat, once in a lifetime things that I hope you get to experience. My feeling is that you're not moving there, it's just a few days where you could see some wonderful things and for me, the heat is worth it. Bring a great book, and if it's too warm just sit by the pool with an icy cold drink or in the shade of your cabin porch, but I really think you should give it a try. Just to see the animals in such a natural place will make you feel special.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Excellent, well composed reply, Volcanogirl. VG is right on the mark, Melissa!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:28 AM

Yes, VG, very nice reply.

Melissa, I'm from NY, not big on bugs either, we HATED Monteverde, the drive, etc., but LOVED BDC. You fly right into Puerto Jimeniz from SJ, it's a 1/2 hour drive on a decent road (compared to the road to Monteverda), the cabinas are great, you sleep with mosquito netting around you.

We were there in early Feb., and had no problems, you just had to watch out for the flying cicadas, but they're just big and just nasty looking.

GO, GO, GO to BDC, you will not be dissapointed!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Yes you can do Bosque. If you fly to Puerto Jimenez you will have a driver from Bosque pick you up. Once you are there, you don't have to leave until it's time to go home. I never saw a snake there when we visited last. The only flying objects were birds and I don't remember seeing any bugs that would bother me at all. Hope that helps. Don't pass us the Osa it's way too beautiful to miss.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM

my husband and I LOVED BdC--we were there in late March, two years ago--but I think a nervous traveler should consider the effort it takes to get there, and some of the potential bumps once you're there.

I hate to fly, and getting on that tiny 8-seater (I think it was that small, close to that) was really hard for me. The flight felt like it took forever, was a little bumpy, and stopped at Drake Bay enroute, so it wasn't even nonstop.

Would I do it again, with that flight? Yes.

The bumpy road was long but an adventure for me, the driver was careful, and this wasn't too much of an issue. But if you have neck or back problems it could be hard. I tend to get car sick, but this trip didn't bother me.

Would I do it again, with the drive? Yes.

When I was there in March, it was very hot. I heard from staff that March is the hottest month. We showered at least twice a day (in the gorgeous outdoor showers) and I usually hit the pool once. At night we laid in bed, spread eagle, sweating, with the tiny fan pointed on us but doing very little. After a couple sweltering nights it rained, and the subsequent nights were cool enough to pull up the top sheet.

Would I do it again, with the heat? Yes. Would my husband? I don't know.

Also perhaps due to the season, we encountered a lot of bugs. When we'd wake up to use the bathroom at night, I would knock them off the netting before slipping out from under it. I never woke up to bugs on me, but I defintely saw a lot of them.

Would I do it again, with the bugs? Yes. Would my husband? Probably.

Overall, we had a great trip: wonderful hiking, great hours sitting on the deck watching the macaws fly by, great drinks and food, excellent guided hikes, a cozy private cabin. I would go there again, but I would shoot for a different time of year, and I would follow it up with a final night at a lux air-conditioned place in the central valley.

I feel like all the BdC lovers are going to disagree vehemently, but I consider myself a BdC lover, too. I just think the overall experience will be better if you know your limitations and are prepared.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:57 AM

mmb, I don't disagree with you, and I think the time of year does have something to do with it. We go in July; I have heard how hot it is in March. We were there in the green season and loved it. I totally agree with following it up with a posh place too; that's great advice.

There are some people that BdC is not made for. We had a girl that was horrified that she didn't have a lock on her door, and she thought everyone could see her in the outdoor shower, etc. She seemed unhappy, and I think it was just that her personality wasn't a good match for a place like this, and she hadn't done her research.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl, it's nice to hear such a friendly reply! Thanks for sharing such special memories. It really does sound like a special place to go. It helps me to hear about the daily realities too. Yes, I did brave the bumpy road up to Monteverde so that we could have a family adventure! It was so bumpy that I thought my insides would fall out, and my daughter wacked her head on the window as she was being rattled around in the back! Seriously! But I found the Monteverde Cloud forest to be very magical and special.

This trip is probably going to be only my husband and I. Bosque sounds romantic as well. And I love meeting interesting people.

I'm also scared about getting dengue fever. I guess I don't like things that might sneak up on you while you're not looking.

Thank you for taking the time to paint that beautiful picture of Bosque del Cabo on the Osa for me! Very tempting...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

owlwoman: It's refreshing to hear from both a city girl and a girlie girl (volcanogirl describes herself as a girlie girl.) And yet you both loved Bosque and the Osa! Interesting that you didn't like Monteverde. Sounds like flying into the Osa makes the trip seem much easier and more pleasant. Mostly I'm worried about the poisonous bugs or snakes or the mosquito bites which can make you sick. Since you went in early February, which is when we'd go as well, do you recall getting mosquito bites at Bosque del Cabo in early February?

On our first trip to Costa Rica, the only mosquito bite I got was at an unexpected place...up at Monteverde when we drove up for dinner to that volcano lodge that is up a steep drive! Never thought there would be a mosquito there. I did bring DEET and wore long sleeves when possible. (Doesn't sound like long sleeves will be an option at Bosque del Cabo on the very warm Osa in February though!) Since it's dry season maybe the mosquitoes won't be a problem...

Thanks so much for chatting with me! This is what I love about Fodors. It fills in all the gaps that the excellent guidebooks leave...
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

mmb23, I really appreciate your candid reply. You shared your experiences, and that helps me. I am already weighing the pros and cons in my mind anyway. Being a nervous traveller, I always have to figure out how to maximize the fun while minimizing the problems. I was wondering what the best season would be to visit the Osa...early February is the dry season so I'm guessing less mosquitoes...but the wet season might be cooler but maybe more mosquitoes plus I know the Osa is sometimes inaccessible in the wet season.

What's the best month to visit Bosque del Cabo on the Osa I'm wondering?

I was definitely hoping the flight to the Osa would be nonstop! I wonder if there is a nonstop flight? Or if we could get out at the first stop and somehow get to Bosque from there? I don't want to take off and land twice in those little planes.

I know it's hard to jump in there and share your candid reply when your opinions could be in the minority, but I really appreciate hearing different people's experiences. It helps me to get a full picture and helps me to make a realistic decision.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

mixter603: Thanks for your reply. Since my husband is a biologist/herpetologist he is actually hoping to see several snakes! But I'm hoping not to run into a poisonous one.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Melissa, you're very welcome. I understand your trepidation. I was scared to go on a night hike at BdC, so I just didn't do it. I didn't really want to know what was out there. I skipped ziplines because I was scared to do them. When I got home, I regretted not doing those things. So next trip, I did a night hike and ziplined, and they were both great! Some of the best things I've ever done in life were things I was afraid to do. You're doing the right thing gathering all this information, so you can decide if it's right for you. Wherever you go, I hope that your trip is wonderful.

Regarding dengue fever, I asked our guides at BdC about it, and they said it's a bigger concern on the Carib. coast than at somewhere like BdC. They said they don't really worry about dengue or malaria, and they've worked there for years, so that made me feel better about it.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl, you're right, it is super important to do your research. I like the research so I always end up someplace that I enjoy. But that involves weighting the pros and cons and seeing if a place is right for me and my husband. You say you go in July...how much problem is there with mosquitoes in the rainy season? I like the idea of being cooler, and our first trip was in June, rainy season, and it was fine (although we didn't try to go to the Osa). But I tried to avoid going to areas with mosquito problems. Only got one mosquito bite in June...that was at a hotel's restaurant up at Monteverde... I did wear DEET some of the time and wore long sleeves when possible (when the weather permitted).

It seems to me that in order to maximize our fun for this trip and minimize my concerns...it would probably be best to try to figure out which month is likely to be cool enough for hiking (reasonably warm but not unbearably hot)...and yet I don't want to go when the mosquitoes are at their worst, especially not the kind that can give you dengue fever. I'm not sure what that month is though. Plus there can always be unexpected changes in weather patterns now with global warming.

Just from reading trip reports it seems that March is one of the hottest months at Bosque.

Thanks everybody.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Melissa, you've gotten some great replies; I've skimmed through briefly. Just wanted to mention (and sorry if it has already been said and I didn't spot it) that the flight will be nonstop if there is no one on board with Drake Bay as the destination. If so (likely) then you will have a short stop at Drake Bay and then another 10 minutes to Puerto Jimenez. If you can get past the fear, the scenery is amazing. I was able to do that.

Also, I don't think either airline flies 8 seaters. There are usually 12-18 seats (one or the other); I think 18. Sansa flies single engine planes, Nature Air twin engines.
They do feel quite lightweight, but I found it to be interesting rather than scary. Actually, I'm no more frightened of smaller planes than I am larger ones. Makes me no difference; just hate being "out of control", which I know is an illusion anyway. I really don't have control of anything!

Contrary to what has been stated, there are actually FEWER insects in the dry season. And I never noticed all that many in the rainy season. Never have seen a snake in several visits. I don't think that will be much of an issue for you. And if there is one, it won't be sneaking up on you, it will be getting the h--- out of your way!

The heat you can manage with the cold bandana suggestion and the "sitting by the pool sipping drinks" suggestion. Hiking is best in the early a.m. anyway. Before breakfast even. And after 4:00.

Go and enjoy. It may be out of your comfort zone, but I think you'll appreciate the new zone.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Forgot to mention, it's a long story, but motmot and shillmac are one and the same! Goes along with the dual personality.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Yes, motmot is right on with the pre-breakfast hike! We'd do a nice long one before breakfast, eat, rest a little, then head out for an easier hike before lunch. Then we'd eat, shower, nap, swing by the pool, and go for a shorter pre-dinner hike.

Each hike would get a little shorter/easier than the one before, and it was a great rhythm of the day.

I could be wrong on the planes--I know we flew Sansa and it seemed like there were four rows, I could be wrong. Flying is not my strong suit, even in a 777, so you can imagine how I felt about the tiny plane! Still, it seems like most of my favorite places require that sort of flight, so I'm getting used to it! : )

all I can say about the insects is: wow, there are more in the wet season? Good thing we went in the dry time!
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM

The biting bugs were non-existent, we had bought a very expensive can of Off in Arenal before the Hanging Bridges walk, never used it again....even had a massage in the jungle with Jutta and didn't need it at all.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Yep, more bugs in the wet season. Makes sense, right? Mosquitoes like rain and water. The only place we really saw them was in the Tropical Garden area. The grass was kind of long, and as we walked through, I saw some come up. We wore repellent everyday. In all my trips to CR, I can count the mosquito bites I've gotten on one hand - maybe two or three bites? Usually on my ankles. The mosquitoes are 1,000 times worse at home. I just have never seen swarms of mosquitoes in CR like I have in Houston.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Melissa, it's Costaricalover. I left you a long reply on my trip report (costaricalover's trip report-Bosque del Cabo) earlier today in response to one of your questions. You've certainly got a lot of good advice here, so hope it's not too repetetive.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Melissa,
We just went to BDC in January and they were actually having a "cool" wave--a few degrees cooler than usual so it was perfect weather. I hate flying with a passion so made a point of booking Nature Air with the TWIN engines and taking a major tranquilizer. The flight down was non-stop and was a little bumpy, but when you come out of the clouds and see that beautiful bay, it is incredible. Had to unexpectedly fly to Drake Bay on the return flight to pick someone up, but we flew over the entire Corcovado! It was excellent. We had no bugs, no bug bites there. It is well worth it to conquer your nervousness !!
Joan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -