Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Bosque del Cabo: La Palma deluxe cabina...photos or details?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are excited...now that we have confirmed our dates for Bosque del CAbo in Costa Rica mid-January, I have the name of our deluxe cabina. It's La Palma. Has anybody stayed in La Palma or do you have photos?

Very excited!
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

<b>Tully:</b> Have you been inside La Palma or do you have photos? We haven't finalized our booking yet and I'm having second thoughts about whether this particular cabina would be the right one for our wedding anniversary stay. I saw some photos on-line...they might have been old photos and perhaps its been remodelled, I don't know...but from how the bed is positioned, I couldn't see it as "my" room...

The staff at Bosque del Cabo has been super nice and patience with me and all my emails. If there is any availability, I saw lovely photos of Mangillo and Mariposa...the bed seemed to have a lot of open space around it, I like that "feel"...and I liked the windows and doors...

Can Tully or anybody help me with deciding which cabinas would have the most romantic feel inside? I prefer a spacious feel around the bed...and attractive doors & windows.

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:50 AM

Is Tucan available? That's one of the newer cabins and has the tub. It's roomy.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Very little difference in any of them, regarding size of room, my observation.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:59 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the specific cabina. They're all beautiful, and trust me, you're going to be spending very little time inside. Really just to sleep. The beauty of the place is so overwhelming that you'll be outside as much as possible. Try not to stress too much. Personally, I'd pick whichever one is available for the entire time instead of moving around. The folks at BdC will take good care of you.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM

I like the outside of the cabins more than the inside. Ours had two big loungers on this little deck area, and when we weren't hiking, we were kicking back on those loungers enjoying the awesome view and doing some animal spotting. We spent very little time in the actual cabin unless we were sleeping. I think you'll enjoy whichever cabin you get.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

<b>volcanogirl</b> & <b>plumboy</b> & <b>shillmac</b> :
Thanks you are my "travel guardian angels"! What would I do without you? We are in the middle of booking and here I am worrying about which cabina.

La Palma is available for all of my dates. But we can have Mariposa and Mangillo if we want to change cabinas during our stay. I like the photos of Mariposa and Mangillo better...but without really seeing them it's hard to know if it's better to just take la Palma. But in the photos I definitely fell in love with Mariposa and Mangillo.

volcanogirl, I like the idea of lounging outside on our deck or patio. Thanks for reminding me of that. Toucan isn't available.

plumboy: I like the image you just gave me in my imagination...the beauty of the place is overhwelming...sounds good!

I am overwhelming myself right now.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM

It might be fun to have two different cabins so you can experience both, especially if you aren't loving La Palma. Mariposa always gets rave reviews. It's on the end and one of the most popular cabins because it's known for privacy, although we felt like we had plenty of that. It has the tub too which is nice. When we were there, two guys were staying in it, and they used the tub to store their beer!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl: Thanks for your thoughts. I am also thinking it could be fun to have 2 different cabinas...even though its slightly inconvenient. I've had my eye on Mariposa all along. It might be fun to change between mariposa and Mangillo. Staying the whole time in La Palma would be convenient...but if I get in there and it "feels" the way it does in the photo...I might end up wishing I had taken Mariposa and Mangillo instead.

If anybody has more photos of Mariposa, Mangillo, and La Palma, seeing the photos would help. The only photo I could find of La Palma was from 2009 in somebody's online blog and it wasn't the best photo. I didn't like how close to the wall the bed appeared...right next to a window and a door which had some spaces in the door. The bed in La Palma appeared to have a wall on 2 sides of it from the photo I saw. I prefer a lot of space around my bed. Not sure I'd be feeling cozy sleeping that close to a window and door. For some reason La Palma doesn't have hardly any reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM

You are starting to sound too worried about what you won't like and less excited about what you will love. It's a magical place. Don't stress. The cabinas are not HUGE but they are fine space wise and honestly I hope you don't plan on spending much time in them!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 02:20 PM

I really, really wouldn't get so caught up in which cabina you will be in. Often said but true - they are all great. They are all about the same size give or take, and they all have the same layout, just some has the bed on the right, others on the left. Mariposa is close on the wall on the right hand side, some others are close on the other side. You're really not in the cabinas all that much as mentioned. I haven't updated this gallery in a couple of years so it's missing the other cabinas but as you can see they are all very alike. Off to Bosque in 36 hrs so I have to run, but if they put me in the dining room I'd be happy. http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...hotos-_-Sharee
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 02:30 PM

I don't think it would be that inconvenient to change cabins really. If you fly down on Sansa or Nature Air, they have luggage weight restrictions that are really going to limit what you bring, so I don't think you'll have that much stuff. On a happy note, I have just discovered that my local liquor store has started selling Imperial!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM

LOL volcanogirl, that's cool. We buy it in Tampa when we are there. And just returned home from CR with a couple of 12 packs.

Okay, Melissa, I think you should take Mariposa and Manglillo for the variety of location. Moving your stuff is nothing. Not even much of an inconvenience. We've met people there who had to move every night of their stay just to eek out a 3-4 night vacation. That part isn't an issue at all.

You aren't going to see any photos that are going to sway you one way or the other I don't think. I agree with you I wouldn't like a bed up against a wall or window either. There is plenty of walk space around all of them. Beds are all middle of the room, more or less. Even our standard cabina, Sol, with 2 beds. Nothing against a wall or window.

Everyone I've ever known who traveled there either lived on the trails, the grounds, or on the deck (or perhaps the pool). That said, I've been known to hop a 6:00 flight to BdC, and literally check in and go back to bed until almost time for lunch! Mariposa and Manglillo.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 07:40 PM

It's all about chilling out. Very comfortable but NO hair dryers, curling irons, tv, ironing boards or mini bars. Very freeing but I hope you can let go and let it happen. Even the best laid plans of mice & men do go awry (or something like that).
You have to be flexible incase the airstrip in PJ is closed and you have to fly into Golfito and take a boat across in the rain and a tree has fallen in the road so the truck can't get to the turn off to BDC and you have to wait for help and it's a good thing you don't have tv because you wouldn't be able to hear it because of the Cicadas being so loud. (All of which happened to us)
BUT, it is a SUPER place as you can tell by everyone's posts & returns. My suggestion would be to RELAX.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

<b>shillmac</b> and <b>volcanogirl:</b> You two are the "rays of sunshine" I really needed. Thanks for the positive vibes. I booked Mariposa and Manglillo. It just feels right. Aren't you proud of me? I actually made a decision and BOOKED! Woo-hoo! Ok my husband helped. I need all the sunshine I can get right now because the shortest day of the year is looming ahead of us...this time of year, with the least amount of daylight in the year, my brain is running on low fuel, and I need all the help with decisions I can get. NOW I CAN BE EXCITED! Ok and still nervous too...but I feel very fortunate.

<b>hipvirgochick:</b> You said it's a magical place...I love the sound of that. I think that's why I travel...in search of the magic! Yes you are right, when planning trips I do tend to rotate between worry and excitement...that's why I need you all...to help me rotate back towards excitement.

<b>tully</b> Have a wonderful trip, and hopefully you won't really have to sleep in the dining room! LOL. Thanks for all the links to photos you have posted. Looking at photos really helps me soak up the wonderful atmosphere of a new place...in advance! It's like taking 3 trips actually...the first trip is at my computer while planning...the second trip is when I arrive at my actual destination...and the 3rd trip is from home, writing up my travel report!

<b>1bhCrashman:</b> Luckily I don't need hair dryers, curling irons, tv, ironing boards or mini bars in my room. I like the sound of "freeing", as you say. I'm looking forward to relaxing at Bosque del Cabo. December in general isn't a very relaxing month here at home I must say. So by January I'll be eager to relax in Costa Rica!
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM

Okay! You're good to go! Very happy for you, and I hear your relief at having made the decision to go and where to stay! The thing we have taken away from many trips to Bosque del Cabo is that, although lots of crazy things CAN happen, they aren't the norm. Most of our trips there have been uneventful except for some really cool episodes with wildlife viewing. And those are the kinds of events we sure hope for!

It's probably some kind of fear of the unknown that is driving your worries, so really, you can put that to rest. It's just not THAT primitive! You'll enjoy the food, the staff, and every minute of every day!

Anxious to hear what you think of it all. You'll like Kim and Phil, the owners, and I hope they are there when you are. Very special people, and they are sincere about wanting their guests to enjoy Bosque.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM

You will have a great time enjoying Pura Vida!
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

<b>shillmac:</b> Yes, we are excited about our adventure to Bosque del Cabo! You are probably right, the unknown can seem worrisome. I already am falling in love with Bosque del Cabo and I'm not even there yet. I think I caught a new virus from you on this fodors Costa Rican forum...it's contagious JOY! Yay! Thanks for everything shillmac. On our first trip to Costa Rica, I loved the rainforests in Arenal area and the cloud forest at Monteverde. So Bosque del Cabo seems like the next step. Funny thing is I haven't even been there yet and I'm already planning future return trips, maybe with my adult kids and grandchild someday!

<b>1bhcrashman:</b> Pura Vida!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM

Good deal. Let the countdown begin.